PDA

View Full Version : Membership

Bron
16th January 2003, 03:31 PM
In organising the TLM presentation, Paul Grzanska at the Swans has asked that I encourage everyone to renew their membership and that you all encourage your family and friends to the same!

The Club needs a strong supporter base, please give them your support.

treespirit
16th January 2003, 07:35 PM
Done :D

Cheer Cheer
16th January 2003, 08:45 PM
I'm way ahead of you Bron!

SWANSBEST
16th January 2003, 08:50 PM
Bron
You seem fairly close to the action do you have any idea how many members are currently signed at the present time.?

robbieando
16th January 2003, 08:50 PM
I try every year, but I get the same answer my parents who are both Swans fans won't join up. Mainly because they never go anymore because of work, but I know Dad vowed never to rejoin after the club refused to take his membership renewal in 1982 because he was supportive of KSAS and also the club kept his money. Funny as his was a Socal Club member for something like 10 years.

I'll rejoin in a few weeks when I get a fair idea of the sort of money I'll have for the next year.

desredandwhite
16th January 2003, 11:28 PM
Grrrr.. I hate October. That's usually membership renewal month. Very expensive for people who buy 2 (or more!) memberships. Thankfully that just leaves transport/food costs for actual matchdays.

But I'm signed up for another year! :D That's the important thing.

blinddog
17th January 2003, 12:22 AM
Did mine yesterday - family membership

jude_boltons_babe
17th January 2003, 03:09 AM
ill always renew my memberships im trying to get more freinds to join aswell

Dpw
17th January 2003, 08:51 AM
Could someone please tell me how I can get info on membership for interstate surporters.

We used to have it through our WA surpporters club when we joined them and renewed it also committed us to a swans membership.

Please bare in mind i normally make one SCG game and any Perth games (depends on draw).

cheers

desredandwhite
17th January 2003, 09:18 AM
dpw, have a look at the official club site - http://sydneyswans.com.au - along the right hand side there is a section for membership - click through and you should see some info. There is no actually interstate membership, as it were (apart from melbourne membership).

But if you wanted to go to 5 sydney games, you could get a Country Membership. You have to live 100km from Sydney, and I reckon you might qualify ;-)

The only other option is a "supporters" membership.. I'm not sure if it's a "Full" membership though.

Dpw
17th January 2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
dpw, have a look at the official club site - http://sydneyswans.com.au - along the right hand side there is a section for membership - click through and you should see some info. There is no actually interstate membership, as it were (apart from melbourne membership).

But if you wanted to go to 5 sydney games, you could get a Country Membership. You have to live 100km from Sydney, and I reckon you might qualify ;-)

The only other option is a "supporters" membership.. I'm not sure if it's a "Full" membership though.

Thanks Des, I'll check it out

TheMase
17th January 2003, 09:47 AM
As much as I would LOVE to get membership and go to a heap of games, it just isn't realistic because of where I live in promity to the SCG (probably 3 hours away easy).

Unfortunate it is :(

Not membership for me :(

Rizzo
17th January 2003, 11:37 AM
I renewed but must admit that the timing of the payment could be better. The latter part of the year is when the credit card gets a hammering (parties, Christmas, holidays and general over).

An option to sign up and pay in the new year would have been appreciated or some sort of part payment plan.

Bron
17th January 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
Bron
You seem fairly close to the action do you have any idea how many members are currently signed at the present time.?

Paul (who looks after membership at the club) mentioned it to me when I was organising the TLM presentation. I don't know how many have signed up, but when I was at the Swans Supporters Inc cocktail party, Colin Seery said that membership had been slow. They understand that on field success is the answer to strong membership, but it's a bit chicken and eggish.

18th January 2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Bron
They understand that on field success is the answer to strong membership, but it's a bit chicken and eggish. [/B]
It's not really Bron. Strong membership won't necessarily bring on field success. Only the players can bring that themselves. And on field success, doesn't generally mean large membership e.g. Hawthorn of the 80's

Bit of a faux pas really.

desredandwhite
18th January 2003, 10:48 AM
The problem is that recent evidence in Sydney seems to indicate that on-field success DOES have something to do with the membership/crowd numbers. When were we getting the sellout crowds? 1997, 1998. just AFTER the grand final appearance.

It's not the only factor, but I would suggest it is one of them.

18th January 2003, 02:06 PM
The problem is that recent evidence in Sydney seems to indicate that on-field success DOES have something to do with the membership/crowd numbers. When were we getting the sellout crowds? 1997, 1998. just AFTER the grand final appearance.

It's not the only factor, but I would suggest it is one of them.
Well thank u Des u backed my argument up just wonderfully. U see that is not chicken/egg philosophy. All I was saying

jude_boltons_babe
19th January 2003, 01:00 PM
my mum gives it to me as a birthday present every year i love it

20th January 2003, 04:12 PM
Same here jab. Well almost, I buy it for myself each year for my birthday :) But I'm sure mum thinks of me. :D

jude_boltons_babe
20th January 2003, 06:17 PM
i love the swans ill buy one every year

robbieando
20th January 2003, 07:45 PM
I got 2 blank cheques to get my memberships so I'll wait a few weeks to decide what membership I will get.

blinddog
20th January 2003, 09:23 PM
Go for the Noble Stand Membership always fun and the beer is available in cans (or at least it was last year)

jude_boltons_babe
20th January 2003, 09:42 PM
i sit in the cheersquad and i love it heaps but id love to sit in the noble stand just once my freinds sit there

Destructive
20th January 2003, 10:56 PM
I renewed the day after I got the renewal forms.

robbieando
20th January 2003, 11:33 PM
Always have and always will sit in the Cheer Squad area. I don't look out of place that way.

vagary
21st January 2003, 08:38 AM
renewed my membership already. tried to get my parents to sign up but they thinking more about getting an opera subscription and swans 3 match pass.
anyone else sit in the brewongle concourse?

A swans fan
21st January 2003, 10:20 AM
:cool:

Yep! I sit in the Brewongle concourse with my family.

Great place to sit because you don't get the afternoon sun in your eyes and also the Brewongle stand shelters you (to some degree) from those chilling Southerly winds in the winter!

:cool:

(Needless to say, I have already renewed, plus roped in one additional family member!)

Can't wait!

SWANSBEST
24th January 2003, 09:02 PM
Fox Sports article today:

Kelly: We want you for Swans
By Tim Morrissey
January 24, 2003

SWANS membership, Paul Kelly speaking, can I help you?

"No really, this is Paul Kelly . . . yes, that's right, I'm the Paul Kelly . . . no, it's not a joke."

From early February, retired Sydney Swans superstar Paul Kelly will be manning the phones as part of a major push by the club to address its membership.

The numbers have been dropping steadily since 1999 when the Swans had a record 26,500 Sydney members as part of a total membership base of 31,175, which included Melbourne members.

Last season the club's Sydney membership was down to around 21,500, which was a contributing factor to the Swans' $1 million loss for the year.

To address the problem, Swans chief executive Colin Seery said the club had launched a membership recruitment drive.

"Part of the program will be Paul Kelly manning the phones and a whole range of activities designed to get our membership level up," said Seery.

"Our membership is down currently on what we had last year and we are very keen to not only bring back members from last year but bring new members on board as well.

"Looking at the program for this season, we've really got some fantastic blockbusters ahead including the first Anzac game at the SCG against Melbourne.

"I think that's going to help bring the members back."

Seery is also hoping that the fanatical public support shown for Swans coach Paul Roos over former Western Bulldog mentor Terry Wallace will translate into increased membership.

"It was fantastic to see the passion from the fans and we are really keen for that passion to flow on to this season," said Seery.

"We really need people to be not only supporters but members of the club also."

The target number Seery is aiming for is 24,500 members, made up of 19,500 from Sydney and 4500 from Melbourne.

At present the Swans have 15,500 Sydney members and around 2000 from Melbourne.

Seery believes one of the main reasons for the drop-off is the difficulty people have these days in establishing the right work/life balance.

The other problem is the perception that the Swans membership, which is the envy of most sporting teams in Sydney, is still at capacity levels.

"The feedback we're getting put the main reason for people not renewing memberships is work/family issues and kids' sport commitments," said Seery.

"The main factor is this perception out there that there's no good membership seats available for home games.

"That's definitely not the case, there are still plenty of good seats left.

"So we really have to be very pro-active in getting our membership levels back up to where they were in the late nineties."

Apart from improving the bottom line the Swans need their fans back to help give their team an edge at home.

"One of the key areas in the football sense is to really get back that home crowd advantage," said Seery.

The Daily Telegraph

jude_boltons_babe
25th January 2003, 12:52 AM
great news i renew every year i think its good that they will have paul kelly on the phone to try and sell more tickets and seasons passers well done

Bron
25th January 2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by vagary
renewed my membership already. tried to get my parents to sign up but they thinking more about getting an opera subscription and swans 3 match pass.
anyone else sit in the brewongle concourse?

Yep, we're on the Brewongle concourse. Directly behind the race, but in the slightly higher seats, maybe 10 back. Row V I think from memory.

I know Gaz sits in the Brewongle too, he's just to the side of the race, very close to the fence.

Ajn
25th January 2003, 12:18 PM
I'm concerned about the drop in membership i Sydney and obviously Sydney are too with P.K answering phones. Don't forget to hound your mates to sign up and continue our powerhouse status. Hopefully the pre season game at Homebush can sign up some of the West Sydney fans! Melbourne fans don't give up hassling your Sydney mates also, especially at the few games we get.

Dpw
25th January 2003, 09:32 PM
I believe our membership will always be flakey, N.S.W. surpport will always depend on our on field performances.

Football is not the No 1 sport like other states and with such International games based in Sydney - Rugby Union and League, Cricket and so on... It will always take alot of success for us to grab a loin share.

I also believe the swans do not put enough effort into promoting the club in other states(not melbourne) Essendon and Collingwood... have large surpporter bases in WA 500 plus members.

They also hold events with money going back to there clubs.

We could easily have half those numbers.

Just my thoughts.

desredandwhite
26th January 2003, 10:05 PM
You could have something there, DPW. I know the club values its melbourne supporters (stop sniggering in the back there!!) as a reminder of our South Melbourne roots.. but I've never heard anything about a Queensland supporters group.. or a SA supporters' group, or a WA supporters' group etc.

A lot of times I see contact details for sydney-based supporter groups of other clubs on their run-thorugh banner when they play in Sydney.. Maybe it's something the club should have a look at. If the SFC can get 1000 extra paid up members across the country - every little bit helps.

DPW, and all other non vic/nsw supporters.. might be an idea to email Paul Grzanka (Swans Membership manager) at the club to let him know that you're out there.

liz
26th January 2003, 11:04 PM
I know there used to be a WA Supporters group. Back in 1996 I made the trip over the Nullabor for the West Coast game. The next morning I wandered into a cafe still wearing my Swans gear and got talking to a guy in the cafe who was the founder of the group. He was so excited to find someone who had flown across the country to follow the Swans that he gave me a lift to the airport later that day.

Ajn
27th January 2003, 10:28 AM
Melbourne doesn't get all that much input from marketing either, the supporter base here is solid, but if they tried they could get about double the base of 5,000 odd we have each year.

Dpw
27th January 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by lizz
I know there used to be a WA Supporters group. Back in 1996 I made the trip over the Nullabor for the West Coast game. The next morning I wandered into a cafe still wearing my Swans gear and got talking to a guy in the cafe who was the founder of the group. He was so excited to find someone who had flown across the country to follow the Swans that he gave me a lift to the airport later that day.

Thats right lizz we did. That guy unfortnatley ran into buisness troubles and dropped out he was well connected within the club and since he has gone we have lost our group and any contact within the club. The Irish club does hold funcations for the players well they are here but Iam not sure were they fit into things and usually they are member based only(Irish club memebers). I have also moved so if they do send stuff out I would not know. I renewed my membership(WA) for those years but never heard from them other then the renewal notice.

tez
28th January 2003, 12:59 PM
Being an old West Aussie I arrange a work trip back
to Perth to coincide with the Swans game over there each
year. I think the Irish club was chosen because it is not
far from Subi oval. They park the team bus right outside
the front door

The AM after the Eagles game last year was advertised in
the West Australian on the Friday with an admission fee
of $5-50 for non members into the Irish club.

About 50 or so turned up that night.

Dpw
28th January 2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by tez
Being an old West Aussie I arrange a work trip back
to Perth to coincide with the Swans game over there each
year. I think the Irish club was chosen because it is not
far from Subi oval. They park the team bus right outside
the front door

The AM after the Eagles game last year was advertised in
the West Australian on the Friday with an admission fee
of $5-50 for non members into the Irish club.

About 50 or so turned up that night.

Thanks Tez, You don't by any chance have contact details for those who arranged it do you?. Otherwise I will contact the Irish club.

tez
28th January 2003, 08:54 PM
DPW, from memory I phoned the Irish club and paid
at the door on the way in. Rodney Eade, Paul Roos,
BBBH, Crezza and Ricky Mott were among those who
turned up. Some of the team flew back that night.

There were quite a few Eagles supporters there too.

Damien
29th January 2003, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone. Nice site to the people that do it.

I am a bit shocked at the membership, I can't remember someone who didn't have an opinion last year on the coaching situation , and the majority of people I spoke to wanted Roo's, but membership falls anyway despite getting him??

This was coupled with the hyped signing of Nick Davis and drafting of local boy Jarrad McVeigh.

Talk about the fickle sydney market!! (Look for the Eastern suburbs faithful flocking for memberships by the June deadline if we win a few early!)

swan_song
30th January 2003, 03:11 PM
This is getting weird now...regulars will know how disappointed I was with last year's first half efforts, especially v adelaide, boozers and bullies...made the decision after the saints game that the team was really only there out on the field to collect its pay checks...so decided not to renew for 2003 (been a continuous member since 1987 when returned to Oz from overseas) and invest money saved in foxtel and footy channel...now season is getting nearer, starting to get itchy fet again...lol
:D

desredandwhite
30th January 2003, 03:14 PM
swan_song... Hope - that's what keeps us going. If you lose that, you might as well give up ;-)

Something tells me you're not QUITE there yet - you KNOW you want to renew :D :D

Cheer Cheer
30th January 2003, 03:32 PM
Please renew swansong - its not as bad as you think - believe me good times are ahead - in the near future

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st January 2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by jude_adams_babe
i sit in the cheersquad and i love it heaps but id love to sit in the noble stand just once my freinds sit there

YOU STAY IN THE CHEER SQUAD, because I'm the chant leader, have a 10 foot pole in my hands, and am watching you!

Seriously, this list has brought many of the club's diverse supporters far far closer together. In Melbourne we have seen both this forum and the older <[email protected]> email list bring lots of the listees form friendships with each other. They have chosen to help the Cheer Squad out and grab a flag and have a fun time. For me each trip south is like a home away from home. We meet at the Colonial Pub before each match and natter about our side. Why, because we share a passion for our colours. And because of our shared interests have become great buddies, even off the field! (ie Des and the J when they hit Geelong for a bush dance or 5!)

We need more of this attitude in Sydney! Far more. Sure we get the odd 'tourist' from the grandstand/concourse (even Essendon!) :-P, but we seriously need to look at ways of improving the once-feared but now very crap SCG and Stadium Australia atmosphere.

I know I harp on about things. But people need to seriously think about getting off their butts, and coming to Bay 22 to grab a flag and try and cheer the team over the line. There has been a pre-conceived idea that the Cheer Squad is a joke. Yeah, we struggle, despite the hours many people put into things. You only get out of things what you put into them. If you reckon we are a joke, then what are YOU doing to cheer the side on?!

I just want to see a solid group of 200-250 odd in the CS area every week. Yes, you'll have to miss out on your beer for a couple of hours, but it gets you onto the sacred SCG turf each match.

We'll hopefully be behind the goals undercover in the McCartney Stand against Essendon. I hope to have a drum there too. Come and yell and SING (soccer-style singing is so creative-the wittier the better!). Yes, we are LOUD.

But loud is good, right! Anyone who was in Melbourne for the Dees' match knows how good things can get if we put our minds, hearts and voices to it!

yours in red and white, as always

JF

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st January 2003, 03:54 AM
You could have something there, DPW. I know the club values its melbourne supporters (stop sniggering in the back there!!) as a reminder of our South Melbourne roots.. but I've never heard anything about a Queensland supporters group.. or a SA supporters' group, or a WA supporters' group etc.

That is sad, because especially at the Brisbane match there are heaps and heaps of Swans supporters in attendence (Many come up from Northern NSW). But not even the Cheer Squad had an allocated area up there. I'll be heading over to SA for the Port (and hopefully Crows) match, and would love a good supporters club to give flags to etc. There used to be one in the 80s (a guy in Magill I think) and you see a far few around the ground. But the more together the merrier. We had 39 people with booked seats through the club in Adelaide this year, which I'm bloody proud of (Essendon/Collingwood have their 4-5000 odd at SA, but they are them, not the Sydney Swans!)

"A lot of times I see contact details for sydney-based supporter groups of other clubs on their run-thorugh banner when they play in Sydney.. Maybe it's something the club should have a look at. If the SFC can get 1000 extra paid up members across the country - every little bit helps."

You bet, but I only have 2 arms, and seem to lug ALL the flags on the plane MYSELF!

"DPW, and all other non vic/nsw supporters.. might be an idea to email Paul Grzanka (Swans Membership manager) at the club to let him know that you're out there.

I agree, but that not only involves a change in direction at the office (they don't worry about their fans in Melbourne, so why would they give a rats about fans in SA, QLD, Canberra, or WA?)

Also it needs supporters in each state to get organised themselves. Kinda like the chicken and the egg....if the club doesn't promote interstate supporters clubs, they won't form. If there isn't any organised supporters groups interstate, the club won't cater to them...

JF

Dpw
31st January 2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
I agree, but that not only involves a change in direction at the office (they don't worry about their fans in Melbourne, so why would they give a rats about fans in SA, QLD, Canberra, or WA?)

Also it needs supporters in each state to get organised themselves. Kinda like the chicken and the egg....if the club doesn't promote interstate supporters clubs, they won't form. If there isn't any organised supporters groups interstate, the club won't cater to them...

JF

First may i say i love your passion.
Second all your points are valid.

can't really add to that.