PDA

View Full Version : Maxfield to captain his way

SWANSBEST
20th March 2003, 09:16 PM
Maxfield keen to captain his way
8:00:20 PM Thu 20 March, 2003
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au

New Sydney captain Stuart Maxfield believes the best way he can lead his side is by being himself.

In Paul Kelly, Maxfield is following in the footsteps of the one of the most inspirational skippers in recent times and understands he has a tough act to follow.

But while captaincy is a new experience for the soon-to-be 31-year-old Maxfield, a veteran of 238 games with the Swans and Richmond, he has some firm ideas about his approach to the role.

?I?ve never actually captained a lot of football sides throughout my junior career,? he said. ?I think a lot of people say you?ve got big shoes to fill in terms of Paul Kelly, but with ?Kel? being a close friend, we?ve had a few chats and I certainly don?t want to emulate the deeds of Paul Kelly.

?I want to lead my own way and play footy my own way. I think a big trap to fall into would be to try and be Paul Kelly. Everyone deserves to lead in their own right. That?s what I?ll do.?

With the retirements last year of Kelly, Andrew Dunkley, Wayne Schwass and Tony Lockett, the Swans have lost 1014 games of experience. And under a new coach (Paul Roos) and as a new captain, Maxfield acknowledged that there is a different feel about the SCG this year.

?To run out onto the track and not have those legends around the club does feel a little bit different, but it?s the responsibility of myself and the other members of the leadership group, and the whole side for that matter, to really create a new culture and new era throughout the club.

?We certainly do have a younger list now and I think our main focus through the pre-season was really trying to fast-track the development of our younger guys and our middle tier guys. That?s really been a focus throughout the whole pre-season.?

But Maxfield doesn?t believe the added responsibility of captaincy will change the way he approaches the game.

?Not really. I think my professionalism and willingness to get ready for a game doesn?t really change at all. In terms of the group, out on the ground, there?s a bit more of a role you have to play out there in terms of guidance for other players.

?Out on the ground it does (change), but off the ground, not so much.?

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=79902