PDA

View Full Version : what defines an expert?

penga
22nd March 2003, 06:04 PM
lookin on the afl website i cant believe how bloody vague these experts are! they tip us getting the wooden spoon!

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=80177

i dont think they have figured a few things into their equation:

recruits:
c bolton
n davis
j ball
s doyle
s maxfield

losses:
dunkley

up and comers:
s stevens
t kennelly
b fixter
r okeefe
schneider

all in all, we have really only lost dunkley, we can fill in the FB posy albeit not very succesfully... we r goin to be way better than wooden spooners!!! pies for premiers, pah!!! what a joke...

robbieando
22nd March 2003, 06:25 PM
I think they don't watch much of the Swans play nor take any notice of us. Afterall some still believe we have the oldest squad and that last year Dunks, Kel, Lockett and Schwass were all important players who we will miss. Let them believe what they want, because at the end of the day we'll show them otherwise.

liz
22nd March 2003, 06:55 PM
While I don't disagree with the core of this post, I'm surprised that some are underestimating the contribution PK made last year. He may not have been in the form of his prime years but he was still a very very important player for the club. I believe he came about 5th in the B&F and he was the club's second highest poller in the Brownlow. Even when he wasn't winning games off his own boot (or at least helping Willo to do so) he provided tenacity, aggression and skill within the on-ball department, something few of our younger midfielders demonstrated consistently.

To be competitive in the majority of matches, we not only need to find a way to shore up the backline, we also need a couple of the young midfielders to step up to the plate in a serious way.

vagary
22nd March 2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by lizz
he was the club's second highest poller in the Brownlow.

i thought that was Barry Hall unless your talking about all added up.

Norris Lurker
23rd March 2003, 01:25 AM
What defines an expert?

An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure.:p :p

penga
23rd March 2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by lizz
I'm surprised that some are underestimating the contribution PK made last year.

yeah i realised this after i posted, i was just so angry when i read the article... i shoulda put PK in there... i was in a rush to get to newcastle, so i thru it together

losses:
dunkley
kelly

people keep saying about lockett and schwass retiring and how this will affect us... it might affect the leadership but imo they were a huge hindrance on the field ie last season

robbieando
23rd March 2003, 12:03 PM
People are saying we won't be able to handle losing Lockett and Schwass, gee didn't both retire mid year and doesn't that mean we did well without them seeing as we played better after that.

Kel, is Kel hard to replace the leadership but game wise I'm not so sure. After Roos took over he didn't seem to play as well as he did early in the season. Dunks is the biggest loss I feel hard to replace him.

liz
23rd March 2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by robbieando

Kel, is Kel hard to replace the leadership but game wise I'm not so sure. After Roos took over he didn't seem to play as well as he did early in the season. Dunks is the biggest loss I feel hard to replace him.

I have to disagree there. Did you not watch the R19(?) game against the Kangas when he kept us in the game in the first half, setting it up for Willo to go wild in the second half. And against Melbourne, for example, he was well held in the first half but was "using up" Melbourne's best tagger in Godfrey. WIthout Kel on the ground, other players are going to get first attention from taggers. I strongly believe that you can't judge an individual's contribution to the team purely on the basis of their kicks, marks etc

robbieando
23rd March 2003, 12:48 PM
Not saying he wasn't important just that I found him to be not as good under Roos as he was under Eade and I think that had something to do with the mid season injury.