PDA

View Full Version : We let ourselves down: Hayes

Damien
7th June 2004, 03:58 PM
I am impressed by his comments, gives the swans due credit.

We let ourselves down: Hayes
12:57:48 PM Mon 7 June, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal/AFL
Related Content:

St Kilda captain Lenny Hayes isn't buying into the theory that a loss is a necessary part of a team's season, after the Saints lost their first game of the year to Sydney at the SCG on Sunday.

Hayes said the club was "obviously disappointed" to lose against the Swans, which ended a 10-game winning streak - the club's greatest effort since joining the VFL/AFL in the inaugural year of 1897.

"We go into every game trying to win it - there's no reason why we can't go through the whole season without a loss," Hayes said on Monday at training on Monday.

"Sydney were great - they played some really good football - and it's a real credit to them and they beat us on the day.

"With the standard that we've set this year, we really let ourselves down and the club down yesterday and it's something we're not too happy about."

Hayes said the club was "not hitting the panic buttons at this stage" and added that the players were remaining "pretty upbeat" despite the 36-point loss.

And Hayes was adamant that complacency and preparation was not an issue leading up to the game, while he added that the size of the SCG was not an issue for the team.

"I don?t think the SCG had too much to do with it, but there were two sides having a crack on the day, but they were obviously harder at the ball and got the better of us, so I don?t think the size of the ground had too much to do with it really," Hayes said.

But Hayes said coach Grant Thomas let the players know exactly what he thought after the game.

"He pretty much gave it to us, the way he should have. The simple fact is that we weren't good enough on the day and a lot of the guys were down and we just went through where the game and it was pretty stock standard really," Hayes said.

And asked if any movies would be part of this week's schedule, after a training session was cancelled last week, Hayes said: "A lot's been made of that."

"We've done that plenty of times in the past and it hasn't made a difference, so I think last week we had a movie, who knows what we'll have this week?" Hayes said.