PDA

View Full Version : Aargh!

Go Swannies
7th June 2004, 06:32 PM
This is a summary of an article at AFL.com. It is very annoying on numerous points. The artilce is long so I've trimmed it to the really annoying bits. There's another thread about being rated - but this is being dismissed.

I've put some comments in in square brackets.

Round 11 ponderings
9:39:33 AM Mon 7 June, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au
Related Content:

1. Are the Saints getting tired?
That is the key question that arises out of the Saints first loss for the season on Sunday, a six loss to Sydney at the SCG.

. . .But have the Saints? peaked too early and are they starting to starting to feel the effects of what has already been a long campaign?

. . . Instead he took his team off to an afternoon at the movies but if he hoped this would freshen up his players, he was sadly mistaken based on his team?s showing against the Swans. [because only a tired Aints team could be beaten by the Swans?]

Just 11 goals for the game, none from either Fraser Gehrig or Steven Milne, and not one player being able to manage 20 possessions for the game told a sorry tale for a team that had won its past two games by more than 100 points.

The small ground, which congested the space for the Saints? powerful forward line to work in, was probably also a contributing factor while Barry Hall and Matthew Nicks were able to expose the Saints? previously impenetrable defence for the first time this season. [I think this sentence says that the small ground contributed more at both ends than Baz or Nicks did.]

3. A genuine blockbuster

That is exactly what footy fans will get next Saturday night when Essendon and Brisbane go head-to-head at Telstra Dome.

The match pits second against third and is between the only two teams who look capable of stopping the suddenly vulnerable Saints from winning their first premiership in nearly 40 years this season. [I guess the team that actually beat the Aints couldn't possibly be considered a contender? Thank goodness for two teams that have already been beaten by them but are now ready to step up.]

Both have won eight of their 11 matches this season and both could not have warmed up for the game in more imposing style. [I would have thought it more imposing the beat the comp leaders?]

The Bombers withstood the Hawks? attempt to take football back to the mid 1980?s on Saturday and thumped them by 74 points ? their eighth win in the past nine games ? while Brisbane looked awesome in beating the minor premiers of the past two years Port Adelaide by 37 points at the Gabba. [Oh my god, the Dons beat the Hawks. No wonder they are considered shoe-ins for the flag! And has there been a team that hasn't looked awesome beating Port this year - including the Dees by 53 (R4), Adelaide by 32 (R7) and the Roos by 92 in R8.]

And unlike some much-hyped matches of recent years, clashes between these two teams rarely disappoint and it is a shame that next Saturday night?s clash will be the only meeting between these two great teams during this year?s home and away season.

4. Dockers are vulnerable [Duh. Like anywhere east of the Nullarbor.]

Melbourne?s great win over Fremantle in cyclonic conditions in Perth on Sunday could well be remembered as one of the most significant results of the season. [?]

The great victory confirms the Demons are a legitimate top four contender in 2004 and will ensure they go into upcoming blockbuster games with Collingwood and Essendon full of confidence. [again "?"]

But the result also casts doubt on just how much progress the Dockers are making this season under Chris Connolly, as they look to build on last year?s first ever finals appearance.

At the halfway mark of the season the Dockers are now six wins and five losses and every defeat they suffer at home just increases the pressure on them to win games away from Perth ? which they have consistently struggled to do. [So they will be a threat in September how?]

In fact next week?s game against lowly Richmond at the MCG shapes as critical for the Dockers? immediate credibility. [Go figure.]

If ever there was a game in Melbourne they should win it?s next week and if they do it will go some way to making up for this week?s home loss to Melbourne but if they get beat, well the Dockers could even be struggling to make the eight come the end of August.

Coach of the week Denis Pagan ? Carlton

Has there ever been a better coach at getting his team ?up? after a big loss than the former Kangaroos and now Carlton coach?

Back in round seven nobody gave Carlton a chance of beating Collingwood, after they had come into the match on the back of a 105-point loss to Melbourne, but the Blues came from 27 points down in the final quarter to win that game by nine points. [Because Collingwood have often been, how should we say, crap?]

They were given even less chance on Saturday against what appeared to be a revitalised Adelaide at AAMI Stadium and coming off a 108-point loss to St Kilda last week. [this year a revitalised Adelaide is very much like Monty Python's Black Knight - "just a flesh wound". I think it's code for Carey is off life support.]

But after again trailing by more than four goals at the last change, the Blues rallied to win by four points and with matches against struggling Hawthorn and Richmond to come in the next fortnight ? suddenly the club which has endured the worst two years in its history is even an outside chance for the top eight this season.

[I hope this journalist wasn't paid for this remarkable insight into the competition this year.]

Bleed Red Blood
7th June 2004, 06:44 PM
Well said.

dread and might
11th June 2004, 11:17 AM
Victorians.