PDA

View Full Version : RWO Footy Match - COMMENTS

TheMase
24th March 2003, 11:39 AM
RWO Bigfooty Match - MARCH 2003

These match reports are always hard to start. It is especially hard when you were a participant in the match. If the others that played can add to this (or do their own summary), it would be much appreciated. (Or those that were spectators).

From a personal point of view, it was great to be able to put faces to names. I also do not generally meet many people who share my passion for footy in NSW so the experience was fantastic, and I hope to see all of you again in the near future.

The general standard of play wasn't too bad, especially as many had never played the game before, or had not played any sort of competitive match in some time.

When I first arrived I saw a heap of people kicking footys. I assumed they were RWO people as they were either wearing a RED or a WHITE shirt as I requested. This I assure you, makes this sort of thing much easier to identify!

We didn't get the numbers we had hoped for, but we still ended up with a match. Prior to that we basically just had shots at goal.
Most seemed to be kicking well enough. Diego seemed to be confident in front of goal, Mike_B had a nice kicking style, and even I was kicking reasonably well.

The decision was then made to make 2 sides. They were not to be the sides as previously discussed as many could not come, and others just did not show.

Peter volunteered to umpire the match for us, and I am very greatful for that, so thanks Peter!

I ended up on Captain Courageous Diegos team, only to be shafted after kicking 2 goals 5 minutes into the game. ;)

2 Irish blokes decided to join us which helped with our numbers.

Both teams played quite well. The players that stood out for me were:

Diego, The Doctor (Bigfooty), Snajik

All in all it was quite a good match, everyone did very well.
We have to do it again some time :)

BTW, my 2ND team lost by 4 goals (which was about the margin when I was swapped).

SO I call for a DRAW :D

And last but not least ....

TheMase for the Swans Rookie List :D (I wish :( )

desredandwhite
24th March 2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for organising this Mase!!!

Sorry I couldn't join in, I was of course at the RSL helping out with the trivia night preparations :) Did anyone take any photos of the footy match?

We'll have to organise another one later in the year too!

TheMase
24th March 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Thanks for organising this Mase!!!

Sorry I couldn't join in, I was of course at the RSL helping out with the trivia night preparations :) Did anyone take any photos of the footy match?

We'll have to organise another one later in the year too!

Nope. No photos!
:(

Mike_B
24th March 2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Mike_B had a nice kicking style

Thanks for the compliment mate, but I think you must be blind or something, my kicking is ordinary!

TheMase
24th March 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Thanks for the compliment mate, but I think you must be blind or something, my kicking is ordinary!

I had limited vision ;) :D

Norris Lurker
24th March 2003, 07:37 PM
It was great fun. Certainly not the highest standard football game that will be played this year; but very enjoyable.
And, as Mase mentioned before, great to put some faces to names of various people. And going on from there to the trivia night made for a great day. Thank you to everyone involved.

Diego
24th March 2003, 08:49 PM
It was heaps of fun. I am still kinda sore from 1 and a half hours of non stop kick to kick. Norris and myself were there from 3.00 kicking and stuff.

Thanks Mase for organising and it was good to meet you all. Peter was great for umpiring and thank you heaps Pete!

I thought Mase took the mark of the day and Norris held his own in the midfield.

I almost did a knee but you get that.

Sorry I couldn't attend trivia night but I had my mother in laws 60th that I couldn't miss. (I tried)

Mike your kicking is good..just need to work on those checkside kicks.

Me - well I held my own telling ppl where to go and organising our rock solid defence. Mase was traded b/c the other team really were getting flogged.

All in all was heaps of fun and lets do it again soon eh?

:)

snajik
25th March 2003, 04:40 PM
Here's my take on the event and the game itself.

It was indeed good to catch up with some RWO folk and the Big footy folk as well. Unfortunately not as many turned up as was had hoped, so we played on a reduced field using markers for goal posts.

The first hour or so was spent on kick to kick which was exhausting enough in itself. As it was quite windy, a lot of time was spent chasing errant kicks.

As stated by Diego and Mase, the teams were uneven at first. Mostly to do with our captain's odd team selection, and our inability to play set positions or match up. Once Mase was poached from the other side and we became more accountable the game assumed a more competitive nature. I thought Mase was our best and his pack mark in the goal square (and subsequent goal) was the highlight of the game.

BOG was however (who I assume to be) The Doctor. He must have kicked a lazy half dozen as a roaming forward for the opposition. Very difficult to tackle. Had the baulking, stepping, evasive action down pat. A bloody nuisance whenever he got the ball.

Dave with the red shirt (on our side) and Diego and my mate John (on theirs) also put in honest efforts. All up the skill level wasn't anything to write home about, but still it was prettty good for mostly out of condition try hards.

Big thanks and well done go to the two Irish lads without any AFL experience who joined in. Unfortunately the one who wasn't called Dave, got injured at the death. Apparently he had a weak blood vessel in his nose and received a soft tap in a tackle. Next thing (due in part to the strong wind) his face was covered in blood and he looked as though he had just stepped out of a car accident. He managed to bleed all over my water bottle and my freshly ironed white t shirt. He was ok though and that was good news.

Meanwhile three days later and I'm still aching. Might have something to do with not doing any running of any description for nigh on 18 months. I can also assure you that bending down to pick up a ball doesn't get any easier as you get older. It was good clean fun, but do I want to do it again? Ask me when the pain has well and truly subsided.

Destructive
26th March 2003, 10:59 PM
I went along intending to play, but everybody else seemed bigger and more agile than me. So I volunteered with Ruth to be a goal umpire. It was a lot of fun. The game was'nt all that physical, and I was kicking myself for chickening out. Best on ground had to be The Doctor, while the strange performance of the day had to be Norris Lurker. who put in a Greg Stafford like performance, meandering and bumbling his way around the field like a cow, but still managing to have his moments of brilliance and kicking 3 goals.