PDA

View Full Version : Who Boos AFTER a legit. goal??

Dave
13th June 2004, 03:53 PM
They are feral down there.

I can understand doing it during a kick but after?

timtayla
13th June 2004, 03:55 PM
They cry when there side has a lost...

Destructive
13th June 2004, 03:57 PM
2 goals in a row...

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 04:12 PM
@@@@@wit Port supporters do!! That really p*sses me off!! Very poor sportsmanship!! :mad:

Captain
13th June 2004, 04:51 PM
The lowest of low people boo. Port and West Coast supporters do it all the time.

They are bad sports and parents who let their kids do this shouldn't be parents.

Ruda Wakening
13th June 2004, 05:09 PM
Parents who let their kids breed, more like it.

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 05:41 PM
can i just say they are annoying but they kind of have a right to boo in a way i boo the other team when they get a goal.

they are just supporting their crappy port team.

even though it is the most annoying thing in the world when they boo our swans players

Captain
13th June 2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SwansRock
can i just say they are annoying but they kind of have a right to boo in a way i boo the other team when they get a goal.

they are just supporting their crappy port team.

even though it is the most annoying thing in the world when they boo our swans players

If you boo a good goal by the opposition you need to have a good hard look at yourself and learn some sportsmanship.:mad:

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 05:54 PM
How is booing the opposition when they do some good play supporting your team? That is ridiculous and really quite pathetic.

Thunder Shaker
13th June 2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
Parents who let their kids breed, more like it.
I'd say it's what happens when siblings marry.

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:07 PM
its just my opinion. thye are letting the other team know that the swans rule who whoever they are supporting they shouldn't just sit their like a pack of girls and let the other team have all the glory and cheering.

bad sportsmanship is when you dis a player from your own team if they do one bad thing no wonder some of the afl players lose faith in their fans. that's bad sportsmanship.

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 06:18 PM
Oh it is not!! FFS!! :rolleyes:

Captain
13th June 2004, 06:19 PM
its just my opinion. thye are letting the other team know that the swans rule who whoever they are supporting they shouldn't just sit their like a pack of girls and let the other team have all the glory and cheering.

bad sportsmanship is when you dis a player from your own team if they do one bad thing no wonder some of the afl players lose faith in their fans. that's bad sportsmanship.

If you grammar wasn't so bad I would take you seriously.

You obviously boo goals kicked by the other team. Therefore you fit that lowest of low category. I'm embarrassed that a swans supporter would stoop to those levels.

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:26 PM
oh shutup geez wow my grammer is bad i don't really give.

i cant believe thjat you think that dissing a player is alright how low are yuo that is so rude why don't you go and support a different team if your going to dis a player from our team.

look do you play footy god it's not like eating cake.

swans_premiers
13th June 2004, 06:33 PM
I sat next to some ferals today, they were paying out everyone, the umpires, swans players, even their own players...terrible I had to move.

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 06:33 PM
WTF!?!? :confused:

You think that it is not alright to say [such and such] from the Swans played badly, but it is alright to boo the opposition when they play well?

Either you have been badly brought up or morals have seriously gone downhill in recent years!!

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:34 PM
dissing your own teams players is low, sometimes you can say oh that was bad but doing it a lot like alot of people on this site low!

Captain
13th June 2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
I sat next to some ferals today, they were paying out everyone, the umpires, swans players, even their own players...terrible I had to move.

Was it our little mate SwansRock?

Captain
13th June 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
WTF!?!? :confused:

You think that it is not alright to say [such and such] from the Swans played badly, but it is alright to boo the opposition when they play well?

Either you have been badly brought up or morals have seriously gone downhill in recent years!!

Explaining sportsmanship to a bad sport is like banging your head against a brick wall. Don't even try NMW.

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Captain
Was it our little mate SwansRock?

dont call me mate!!! geez your like talking to a brick wall.

NMWBloods how dare you!!

ITS JUST MY BLOODY OPINION GEEZ IM SAYING ITS ANNOYING BUT IT"S EVEN MORE ANNOYING WHEN OLD FARTY FARTS COMPlAIN !

Go Swannies
13th June 2004, 06:46 PM
Explaining sportsmanship to a bad sport is like banging your head against a brick wall.

But banging a bad sport's head against the same wall is just freedom of speech.

I think there's a difference between criticising bad play by our players but you should think long and hard before generalising and saying "so and so is crap". They all have a amazing skills in an amazingly skillful sport.

I even clap a great mark by an opposing player - after all, that's what I'm at the game to see. The first time I went to an AFL game and heard the fans booing a player running in to kick a goal I couldn't believe it. That, and leaving before the end of play, I would have always thought was the height of bad manners.

Booing a dirty hit - or some of the umpiring decisions today (and no, I'm not even suggesting they cost us the game) is fair enough.

Captain
13th June 2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
But banging a bad sport's head against the same wall is just freedom of speech.

I think there's a difference between criticising bad play by our players but you should think long and hard before generalising and saying "so and so is crap". They all have a amazing skills in an amazingly skillful sport.

I even clap a great mark by an opposing player - after all, that's what I'm at the game to see. The first time I went to an AFL game and heard the fans booing a player running in to kick a goal I couldn't believe it. That, and leaving before the end of play, I would have always thought was the height of bad manners.

Booing a dirty hit - or some of the umpiring decisions today (and no, I'm not even suggesting they cost us the game) is fair enough.

Who the hell did I criticise???????????

People on this board are going mad.::confused:

SwansRock
13th June 2004, 06:52 PM
Who the hell did I criticise???????????

People on this board are going mad.::confused:

i wasn't really talking about you when i said that.

im mean i boo them at my house it's not like they can here me. i probally wopuldn't have the guts to boo them if i was there.

maby i would maby i wouldn't but i would never clap the other team thats just freaky even if they did something great

NMWBloods
13th June 2004, 07:07 PM

I pretty much agree with all of this.

I find it shocking to boo someone because they are better than you.

Bron
13th June 2004, 07:10 PM
Agree with you totally Go Swannies and NMWBloods.

Go Swannies
13th June 2004, 07:12 PM
Captain, your paranoia medicine must be wearing off - I was just making a general point about the blanket criticisms that often litter RWO.

I find some of the knowledge and insights here to be really educational. But every now and again there's a Tigers-like rush to self destruct. But it's still better than over at Saintsational where they have all simply updated their "Oh well, a loss had to come" to "two losses had to come" before they go back to blind self congratulations. I wonder if they'll change it to a hat trick if they go down to the Hawks next week?

sharpie
13th June 2004, 07:23 PM

im mean i boo them at my house it's not like they can here me. i probally wopuldn't have the guts to boo them if i was there.

maby i would maby i wouldn't but i would never clap the other team thats just freaky even if they did something great

Have you ever been to a game?

ScottH
13th June 2004, 08:41 PM
I thought it was disgraceful when Willo goaled and they booed. It was one of the few we kicked in the first 3 qtrs and they were way ahead, nothing untoward had happened prior??????

I go to the game to watch a good game, if the opposition do something spectacluar (Mark/Goal etc.) I will clap them. I will scream myself horse if the swans do it!! But to boo, never.

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 02:44 PM
i would think any way you can help your team win by supporting is helpful... if putting the other team off helps the swans win the so be it you should boo the other team...who cares is all fun surely?? i would never condone abuse to a player from another team or violence or so forth... but i would think all teams..... esepcially the swans in the case wouldnt care what the port fans did let them boo who cares... they can do what they want ...
its all just fun thats what this game is about and why we follow it ..to enjoy it!!!

and sportsmanship ...well yeh there is that... more applicable for the players surely... i mean if williams kicks a goal and wanganeen goes over and boos him well thats dumb...but if the port cheer squad want to boo let them... if we want to boo who cares its just a silly sound.... it doesnt hurt anyone! unless u go over and harras other supporters with it!!! its just friendly barracking...

excuse my typing !

paralowiepower
14th June 2004, 02:56 PM
Why is it only swans fans that hate booing?
It's all apart of home ground advantage, surely?

As for doing it, because you were better than us?? what a silly comment :rolleyes:

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 02:59 PM
i agree why be nice??? as long as its not hurting the other supporters who cares?? its fun... help you team

are swans fans that sensitive??

perhaps our players are trying to be nice...maybe that was the problem yesterday

liz
14th June 2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by hemsleys
I thought it was disgraceful when Willo goaled and they booed. It was one of the few we kicked in the first 3 qtrs and they were way ahead, nothing untoward had happened prior??????

Watching the game in a pub I didn't hear the boos when Willo scored, and have no intention of watching the second or third quarters again on a replay. But is it possible they were booing Williams because of the incident with Cornes at the end of the first term? I don't have a clue what actually happened between the two of them but it was clearly enough for the umpires to give Willo a bit of a dressing down. Quite often a player will get booed (not by me mind you, not into that) for most of the rest of the game if the crowd perceives he has done something "dirty".

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 03:07 PM
let the port idiots do what they want... if they dont actually hurt a player or a spectator they can sing george michael songs for all i care :)

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 03:08 PM
If you grammar wasn't so bad I would take you seriously.

You obviously boo goals kicked by the other team. Therefore you fit that lowest of low category. I'm embarrassed that a swans supporter would stoop to those levels.

if we are going to attack grammer there will be about 3 people left on the forum :P

i see no need to attack swansrock for having an opinion that differs from yours have a good day tho

BAM_BAM
14th June 2004, 05:50 PM
Lizz, I thought the booing happened a couple of times, although I can't remember which Swan was involved at the time, other than Willo.

I find it disgraceful and if my boys (6 & 9 yr olds) ever did it I'd rub them out for a week. Not acceptable IMO.

Poor form.

dendol
14th June 2004, 05:59 PM
I think its ok to boo an opposition player when they are kicking for goal (to put them off, much like in basketball when the players shoot freethrows), or when they get a goal from an dodgy umpiring decision. Its also ok to boo an opposition player when they take too long to dispose of the pill, or when they illegally hit/strike (accidental or not) one of our players.

However, I too find it poor sportsmanship to boo after a good opposition goal. Melbourne supporters dont do, Brisbane dont do it, Sydney dont do it.

South and Western Australians have something wrong with them if they think this is supporting the team and its ok.

ps. if you try to argue with a fool, you will only get dragged down their level and they will beat you with experience.

ScottH
14th June 2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by lizz
But is it possible they were booing Williams because of the incident with Cornes at the end of the first term?

You could be right Lizz, I forgot about that incident. Nothing was shown on TV so I have no idea of what happened.

As for BAM_BAM banning her Kids, my twins are 10 and at the bombers game they were horrified that the bomber fans were booing our team. I have brought them up to treat others fairly.

I have never liked booing, and never will. Whether it is a Sydney thing or not I don't know.

paralowiepower, if you want your team to enjoy a homeground advantage cheer louder for your team, and be silent for the opponents. Silence says a lot more than booing.

Booing tends to fire players up, (Re Lockett v Sydney in '95).

paralowiepower
14th June 2004, 10:39 PM
Well it must just be a different culture, we have always done it, and I guess always will. I would not take it to heart, but if you hate us more for it, so be it. As Lis pointed out, it was probably more due to Cornes being knocked to the ground (which I missed) which lead to the goal.

ScottH
14th June 2004, 10:41 PM
I think everyone, except the umps missed it.

Anyway Cornes must've hit Willo first......I'm sure ...... ;)

SwansRock
14th June 2004, 11:17 PM
i don't really see why booing is such a bad thing.

god it's all in good fun! HAve our players been complaing?

no need to get so up-tight about it.

and to get mean about my grammer, take a look at most people's post's there is bad grammer there and you Captain you only said that becasue you are being a little sook that someone has a different opinion form you and you just cant handle it.

SwansRock
14th June 2004, 11:19 PM
oh are you gonna growl at me know because of my bad grammer then.

robbieando
14th June 2004, 11:20 PM
I was at the game and really I don't know what everyone is crying about. I heard nothing of the sort and the Port fans about us where great towards us and not forgetting the Outer Army who yet again made us all feel welcome. For the love of God, give the Port fans the credit they deserve, they are passionate and loyal, something I can't say about all our fans.

Bleed Red Blood
14th June 2004, 11:22 PM

Thanks for SMS'ing that in.

SwansRock
14th June 2004, 11:33 PM
some of the people on this site are old farty farts

cough cough Captain

robbieando
14th June 2004, 11:36 PM
some of the people on this site are old farty farts

cough cough Captain

and some haven't even started pre-school

swansrule100
15th June 2004, 12:13 AM
all this bickering :P

dendol
15th June 2004, 12:35 AM
i havent laughed this hard in a while. Thanks, keep up the entertainment guys. :p :D

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 12:45 AM
Amazing! All the curious onlookers to football in the Mardi Gras city. Maybe in Rugby they cheer and clap the opposition when they score. But from Perth to Wagga Wagga footy fans give nothing to the other side.

NMWBloods
15th June 2004, 12:48 AM
I've been going to the VFL/AFL football for 30 years and my dad for over 60, and neither of us recall that booing the opposition because they kicked a goal or played well was standard fare by supporters or very sporting.

No one is suggesting you have to clap them. I always find it funny how when you disagree with someone they immediately go to the opposite extreme instead of a middle ground.

sbr_04
15th June 2004, 12:59 AM
who was sitting in the sydney cheersqaud on sundays match?

we were neer that ladie who won the tv!!!

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 08:03 AM
If you boo a good goal by the opposition you need to have a good hard look at yourself and learn some sportsmanship.:mad:

Gee, I didn't hear it from where I was.

But it seems to be a South Australian thing. You watch tapes of the first couple of Crows seasons and when the opponents kick a goal the booing is cronic.

Again I didn't hear it. So what, they gave us the Alberton cheer?

JF (back from SA in one piece, but really tired. 15 hours each week)

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by sbr_04
who was sitting in the sydney cheersqaud on sundays match?

we were neer that ladie who won the tv!!!

Me, RobbieAndo, Peter_H, Cher. and Seth_the_Swan of Death.

There was lots of Swans fans in our bay, so when we finally did kick a goal the chanting was good.

Were you the guy I invited to join us during the second half?

The Port fans were certainly entertained by us, that's for sure. Surprisingly there were no problems with them AT ALL. They loved "Posh Spice is a slapper."

I even had the Port Outer Army sing a song just for me! Oh the honour! ;)

JF

sbr_04
15th June 2004, 09:25 AM
HEY, i do remember you

can you post back that posh spice song i laughed myself to death. i gotta hand it to you guys atleast you stay right til the very end!!!

if you remember when the port song was going at the end when it says: we'll never stopp sopp stopp, till were top top top then i said AND WE'LL LOSE IT ALL IN SEPTEMBER!!! me with the ford (pirtek) jumper. i think you were the one that said about this site to me cant quite remember, my freind is registered too he v8_dude!!!

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 09:25 AM
JF_Bay22_SCG
Where were you? On the PowerfromPort site I left a U2U inviting you for a drink.

sharp9
15th June 2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by paralowiepower
Why is it only swans fans that hate booing?
It's all apart of home ground advantage, surely?

No, it's all part of not quite having become adults. It's a small compensation for us Swans fans, seeing as we were wallopped. But, you know, I think, all things considered, I would rather barrack for the Swans, or Demons or Hawks and see them lose than have to be part of a group of supporters like Port or Collingwood or Richmond, regardless of whether they win.

I'd change teams because I have too much respect for myself and the game to be a part of that.

Now you probably want to argue with me.....but really, you know in your heart it is indefensible and that you are part of a pathetic, embarrassing team and supporter culture. You may say that winning games makes up for it. You would also be lying.

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Powerstuff
JF_Bay22_SCG
Where were you? On the PowerfromPort site I left a U2U inviting you for a drink.

Oh sorry mate. I was either dodging pairs of emus on the Sturt Highway coming over, or was busy pre match. With the banner needing to be poled, and the Port Outer Army BBQ needing to be visited (if only shortly), I was kinda flat out.

i forgot to check tPfP.com when I was in SA.

Maybe when you come to the Harbour City next year mate? ;)

JF

PS:- There weren't many people at the post match function at the Lakes International Resort. But Tony Morwood showed his class by making everything on the house. We should show support for his functions, as they are making a difference. The support we had in Bay 109 on Sunday was the best I have seen at an SA-based Swans game. Great to see!

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by sbr_04
HEY, i do remember you

can you post back that posh spice song i laughed myself to death. i gotta hand it to you guys atleast you stay right til the very end!!!

if you remember when the port song was going at the end when it says: we'll never stopp sopp stopp, till were top top top then i said AND WE'LL LOSE IT ALL IN SEPTEMBER!!! me with the ford (pirtek) jumper. i think you were the one that said about this site to me cant quite remember, my freind is registered too he v8_dude!!!

Oh ok, were you the guy in the Central Districts scarf with the chequered flag? I mentioned to you that Centrals fans light flares at matches and we all laughed.

The song goes

"Posh Spice is a slapper
And she gets touchy feely
When she's shagging Beckham,
she think's of Tadgh Kenneally."

People cracked up everywhere. Even the Port supporters around us were turning around to see what silly song we wqould start up next.

Dunno about you guys who watched on TV, but even Cheer Squad Steve (a parochial Victorian if you ever saw one) thought the Port supporters around us were totally fine. There was a nice clap when Stewie Maxfield's AFL life membership was announced as well.

But the "Power-Meter" is very very sad. You'd expect that at a Super League match (or the Eagles!!!!), not a club that boasts of its proud traditions in the SANFL. A tad gimmicky, I reckon.

I think the Port fans make a fair amount of noise too. Some decent chanting behind the goals down the other end, And of course on the wing.

JF

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
...The song goes
"Posh Spice is a slapper
People cracked up everywhere....
That's good. Needs to spread through the crowd like in English soccer. We are stuck with "Power!! (clap clap clap)" and "Let's go Power, let's go!" from the main body of the crowd. Given the Swan's stars propensity to go out with soapie starlets we should have given you lots of the sort of stuff you talk of.
Yet to gain a toehold in AFL culture, I don't know why. Collingwood cheer squad are annoyingly loud and witty when ahead, hope you don't get a chance to hear this in two weeks.

.... the "Power-Meter" is very very sad. You'd expect that at a Super League match (or the Eagles!!!!), not a club that boasts of its proud traditions in the SANFL. A tad gimmicky, I reckon.
Couldn't agree with you more. We will decide when we are excited and want to cheer.
At least it's not as bad as at the basketball in Adelaide where loud music and preordained cheering make it pointless to support the 36'ers. The same with the Kings?

Go Swannies
15th June 2004, 01:35 PM
Jules,

I thought the Cheer Squad was a no alcohol zone. Looks like it might get an R rating soon.

Captain
15th June 2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
No, it's all part of not quite having become adults. It's a small compensation for us Swans fans, seeing as we were wallopped. But, you know, I think, all things considered, I would rather barrack for the Swans, or Demons or Hawks and see them lose than have to be part of a group of supporters like Port or Collingwood or Richmond, regardless of whether they win.

I'd change teams because I have too much respect for myself and the game to be a part of that.

Now you probably want to argue with me.....but really, you know in your heart it is indefensible and that you are part of a pathetic, embarrassing team and supporter culture. You may say that winning games makes up for it. You would also be lying.

Spot On

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
.....Now you probably want to argue with me.....but really, you know in your heart it is indefensible and that you are part of a pathetic, embarrassing team and supporter culture. You may say that winning games makes up for it. You would also be lying.
Mmmmm...nah! Thought about it. Would rather be part of a team that wins games.

Rob-bloods
15th June 2004, 02:07 PM
I went to the first Port v Sydney game and after 10 minutes we did not hear a peep from the 'dirty wharfies' cos' we spanked 'em!

They also left early.....very early.

It is quite ridiculous to confuse passion, commitment, stupidity, ignorance, humour and loyalty...which a lot of this banter seems to do.....and let's forget sportsmanship!

Are Collingwood fans more committed/loyal cos' they boo everything the opposition does? Or cos' they swear at the opposition more during the warm up? And call for holding the ball before you even get it! Adelaide Oval is mostly full cos' many supporters go to ALL games, and they always hope the other Adelaide side loses.

I love a bit of banter and cheek with the opposition (as anyone who sat in the Dally Messenger stand front right '83 to '96 would know) but booing the opposition for simply running out onto the oval or kicking a goal from a great (fair) mark is surely pretty dumb.

I went to the Dons vs Lions on Saturday and have to admit many 'dons fans gave the Lions a reasonable ovation at the end.

And frankly, for Powerstuff, from the city of churches, kiddy fiddlers, murderers, nude waitresses...............and Don Dunstan, to have a sling at Sydney is a bit rich!

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Rob-bloods
.....And frankly, for Powerstuff, from the city of churches, kiddy fiddlers, murderers, nude waitresses...............and Don Dunstan, to have a sling at Sydney is a bit rich!
Nude waitresses??? You wouldn't have an address?

sharp9
15th June 2004, 02:53 PM
Mmmmm...nah! Thought about it. Would rather be part of a team that wins games. Good on you for being honest.

penga
15th June 2004, 04:03 PM
I went to the Dons vs Lions on Saturday and have to admit many 'dons fans gave the Lions a reasonable ovation at the end.

as you would! that was BEAUTIFUL to watch!

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 04:22 PM
....I went to the Dons vs Lions on Saturday and have to admit many 'dons fans gave the Lions a reasonable ovation at the end......
In all seriousness this is where the answer to the booing lies. We cheered Geelong off two weeks ago after an enthralling and skilled game which we only just won.
But the only fun we had on Sunday was watching our guys go through their paces and giving your guys a bit of a hoot. Had you come to play, to entertain us, you could have expected the same appreciation as Geelong received. As it was the Swan's infrequent moves up forward to 3/4 time were simply irritating and affecting our percentage.
The quality of the game played brings out different reactions in the crowd. At least you didn't get the ironic cheering Richmond got when we whipped them, it means we have more respect for you. And having sat at the MCG copping the ironic cheers from the Eddiewood fans in last year's qualifying final I'd be happy to take the boos.

NMWBloods
15th June 2004, 04:28 PM
In all seriousness this is where the answer to the booing lies. We cheered Geelong off two weeks ago after an enthralling and skilled game which we only just won.
But the only fun we had on Sunday was watching our guys go through their paces and giving your guys a bit of a hoot. Had you come to play, to entertain us, you could have expected the same appreciation as Geelong received. As it was the Swan's infrequent moves up forward to 3/4 time were simply irritating and affecting our percentage.

What drivel is this? So when you are thrashing a team you think it's fine to boo them?

You had 50 more possessions than us and we still managed to get it Inside 50 only 8 times less. It hardly sounds like we were playing a go slow/keepings-off style of game. We were simply completely beaten all over the ground and a 78 point lead at 3/4 qtr times certainly doesn't sound like we were stopping you increasing uour percentage.

port1978
15th June 2004, 04:37 PM
LOL quite a funny thread. As for booing after a goal, well it's no big deal. I couldn't give a stuff if the opposition team boos after Port goals. Personally I don't normally boo after an opposition goal, unless it's come form a dubious free kick or something. But I often boo when the opposition's lining up for goal.

Powerstuff
15th June 2004, 05:08 PM
What drivel is this? So when you are thrashing a team you think it's fine to boo them?....
I repeat it was ironic, malice free. Part of a generally happy and good natured event. You make it sound like it was a feature of the day. As if 28,000 people ganged up on your poor helpless players.
Instead a few hundred at the most began gradually to give your guys a gentle reminder that we expected some effort. We were hardly going to release doves and balloons at what we saw.
Unhappy as you are with a loss trying to beat up an unpleasant stereotype about fans is not on in my book.
In general our fans welcome your fans over here and there is significant hospitality and respect before, during, and after games. As your own people have reminded you.
If you want to see genuine hostility from the crowd, real disrespect and hatred directed towards players, then go to a Richmond game. Admittedly this is from their own supporters so my example is flawed. But it is still the best I could think of.
And my final word on this was going to be to get over it!! But that implies there was ever something to get over.

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 05:20 PM
Jules,

I thought the Cheer Squad was a no alcohol zone. Looks like it might get an R rating soon.

Oh please. Are we getting that prudish that we cannot see the wit and humour in a song?

They banned Cheer Squads from drinking because of the booze-up kind of behaviour you used to see in them.

Why does this mean we have to stifle our creativity? As far as I'm concerned "shag" is not "R Rated".

The Port supporters reckoned our singing was hilarious. Or are Swans fans louder when whinging than cheering? :confused: :rolleyes:

JF

PS:- It was so awesome going to the North Adelaide SANFL game on Saturday. A real grog squad full of hard core supporters singing and barracking their heads off. No rules, just bloody good footy with people there because they love their club, not because it is cool or an event. With a can in your can and a sausage sandwich in the other. Bloody sensational, I tell you!!!! :cool:

Go Swannies
15th June 2004, 05:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned "shag" is not "R Rated".

It must be the way you do it.

Wow, there's a serious loss of sense of humour around here at present. I didn't think that needed a smiley face.

JF_Bay22_SCG
15th June 2004, 05:26 PM
Adelaide Oval is mostly full cos' many supporters go to ALL games, and they always hope the other Adelaide side loses.

Yeah, but the problem was that I was 15 kms away in West Lakes at Football Park.

But yeah, Port and the Crows hate each other. And lots of the SANFL diehards hate both of them and still support their Victorian clubsides.

JF

v8_dude
15th June 2004, 05:32 PM
Oh ok, were you the guy in the Central Districts scarf with the chequered flag? I mentioned to you that Centrals fans light flares at matches and we all laughed.

The song goes

"Posh Spice is a slapper

People cracked up everywhere. Even the Port supporters around us were turning around to see what silly song we wqould start up next.

Dunno about you guys who watched on TV, but even Cheer Squad Steve (a parochial Victorian if you ever saw one) thought the Port supporters around us were totally fine. There was a nice clap when Stewie Maxfield's AFL life membership was announced as well.

But the "Power-Meter" is very very sad. You'd expect that at a Super League match (or the Eagles!!!!), not a club that boasts of its proud traditions in the SANFL. A tad gimmicky, I reckon.

I think the Port fans make a fair amount of noise too. Some decent chanting behind the goals down the other end, And of course on the wing.

JF

yeah that was me with the centrals scarf. thanks for letting me use the flag for the day guys.

v8_dude
15th June 2004, 05:49 PM
Oh please. Are we getting that prudish that we cannot see the wit and humour in a song?

They banned Cheer Squads from drinking because of the booze-up kind of behaviour you used to see in them.

Why does this mean we have to stifle our creativity? As far as I'm concerned "shag" is not "R Rated".

The Port supporters reckoned our singing was hilarious. Or are Swans fans louder when whinging than cheering? :confused: :rolleyes:

JF

PS:- It was so awesome going to the North Adelaide SANFL game on Saturday. A real grog squad full of hard core supporters singing and barracking their heads off. No rules, just bloody good footy with people there because they love their club, not because it is cool or an event. With a can in your can and a sausage sandwich in the other. Bloody sensational, I tell you!!!! :cool:

i love the sanfl, the north adelaide grog squad, and the centrals red army, certainatly add to the atmosphere, alot of the centrals supporters have english football background, so it is that sort of atmosphere. just great to be right in the thick of it, its the way footy should be.

v8_dude
15th June 2004, 05:51 PM
that would be me, love my sanfl club, have a victorian favourite, and go to aami stadium almost every week, in the hope that port and crows will loose.

NMWBloods
15th June 2004, 05:54 PM
I made no general comments as to any general stereotypes of fans. I was also not making any comment that it was happening frequently.

My comments were made specifically to those who boo when not warranted (eg: it's reasonable to boo a poor decision, or a dirty player, or to make a lot of noise, whether including booing or not, to put a player off when taking a shot for goal). Like for example, booing when the opposition makes a great play and kicks a goal. I think these types of supporters are tools.

I think it is poor sportsmanship. It's saying that you do not have the moral fortitude to accept the situation when someone does something better than you, and you do not have the good grace to acknowledge someone else making a good play.

I remember playing in a basketball grand final in SA where some sections of the crowd booed us all game, no matter what we did, simply because we were from Victoria. Had no affect on our game as we won anyway, but we all viewed them as feral scum with no idea of good sportsmanship. Our opponents, who were good sports after the loss, were quite embarrassed by their actions.

Do you boo when someone takes a great mark?
Do you boo at the basketball when the oppositon makes a great move and does a slam dunk at the end of it?
Do you boo at the cricket when the opposition makes a perfect cover drive to the boundary?
Do you boo at another runner who beats the guy you are supporting in the 100m sprint?
Do you boo when another country beats us swimming the 1500m in world record time?
Do you boo the opposition at the end of a game simply because they beat you or because you beat them?

Anyone who answers yes to any of these I consider to be a bad sport. Booing the opposition simply because they have done something good is abysmal. To say "it's football and different to other sports" is not an excuse.

To some degree this is like an earlier discussion about winning. In the short term you don't care how you win, as long as you do, so winning ugly is still pleasing. However, over the long term, you want to see your team play good football, as that's what the sport is about, so you want to see them winning by playing good football not just any old football.

Sport is not just about barracking and abusing - it's also about the spectacle itself, however I think a lot of that has been lost.

SwansRock
15th June 2004, 06:42 PM
yawn:o

Captain
15th June 2004, 06:44 PM
I made no general comments as to any general stereotypes of fans. I was also not making any comment that it was happening frequently.

My comments were made specifically to those who boo when not warranted (eg: it's reasonable to boo a poor decision, or a dirty player, or to make a lot of noise, whether including booing or not, to put a player off when taking a shot for goal). Like for example, booing when the opposition makes a great play and kicks a goal. I think these types of supporters are tools.

I think it is poor sportsmanship. It's saying that you do not have the moral fortitude to accept the situation when someone does something better than you, and you do not have the good grace to acknowledge someone else making a good play.

I remember playing in a basketball grand final in SA where some sections of the crowd booed us all game, no matter what we did, simply because we were from Victoria. Had no affect on our game as we won anyway, but we all viewed them as feral scum with no idea of good sportsmanship. Our opponents, who were good sports after the loss, were quite embarrassed by their actions.

Do you boo at the basketball when the oppositon makes a great move and does a slam dunk at the end of it?
Do you boo at the cricket when the opposition makes a perfect cover drive to the boundary?
Do you boo at another runner who beats the guy you are supporting in the 100m sprint?
Do you boo when another country beats us swimming the 1500m in world record time?
Do you boo the opposition at the end of a game simply because they beat you or because you beat them?

Anyone who answers yes to any of these I consider to be a bad sport. Booing the opposition simply because they have done something good is abysmal. To say "it's football and different to other sports" is not an excuse.

To some degree this is like an earlier discussion about winning. In the short term you don't care how you win, as long as you do, so winning ugly is still pleasing. However, over the long term, you want to see your team play good football, as that's what the sport is about, so you want to see them winning by playing good football not just any old football.

Sport is not just about barracking and abusing - it's also about the spectacle itself, however I think a lot of that has been lost.

Mate, I agree 100%.

It seems to be falling on deaf ears though.

We have so far seen in this thread:

- Bad sports who think booing is supporting their team
- Clowns going on about how good their chanting is (does anyone actually care???)
-Port supporters booing teams that are getting flogged, yet cheering teams that are in the game

The worlds gone mad.

SwansRock
15th June 2004, 06:48 PM
hey incase some old granny tells me off again i was joking but i really just couldn't read it im too lazy

NMWBloods
15th June 2004, 06:51 PM
Yep, thanks for your input then... :rolleyes:

dendol
15th June 2004, 07:09 PM

Well said.

Booooo SwansRock.. booooooooooooooooooo! :p ;)

Tooth Fairy
15th June 2004, 07:19 PM
I don't boo opposition goals. I usually just swear under my breath.

SwansRock
15th June 2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
and some haven't even started pre-school

yeah i start tomorrow i tell you all about it. and ill ask my teacher if you can join:)

SwansRock
15th June 2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Well said.

Booooo SwansRock.. booooooooooooooooooo! :p ;)

omg how did you think of that your a funny little bugger but you kind of just recked your point there if your against booing doo doo head.

by the way im joking just incase of grannys.

i love humour:p

Tooth Fairy
15th June 2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
if we are going to attack grammer there will be about 3 people left on the forum :P

I'd be won of them

NMWBloods
15th June 2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
I don't boo opposition goals. I usually just swear under my breath.

I swear out loud quite often!! :eek: :)

Tooth Fairy
15th June 2004, 07:49 PM

That's what the VFL (now AFL) was like.
edit: except the girly singing songs crap :)

Tooth Fairy
15th June 2004, 07:51 PM
I swear out loud quite often!! :eek: :)
OH believe me I do too, when at home in front of the TV. But at games I'm a LOT more reserved :)

Ruda Wakening
15th June 2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Tooth Fairy
I'd be won of them

Me two.

Bleed Red Blood
15th June 2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
Me two.

Not eye.

Edit : I know, that killed it, perhaps it killed of the arguments too.

swansrule100
16th June 2004, 01:07 PM
Everyone is soo politically correct nowadays...

everyone know u boo the umpires for instance.. i dunno as long as its in the right spirit who cares...

theres a difference between just booing in just and then say spitting on danny frawley or abusing players in the race of booing the team off.

I think people who complain about the booing are probably the same people who find sam newman offensive or vote green!

BAM_BAM
16th June 2004, 03:14 PM
I think people who complain about the booing are probably the same people who find sam newman offensive or vote green!

I started typing out a long winded reply to this one but decided it really wasn't worth the effort! :(

Ruda Wakening
16th June 2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I started typing out a long winded reply to this one but decided it really wasn't worth the effort! :(

I think you're right!

swansrule100
16th June 2004, 04:04 PM

im sorry ... in my defence i was about 10 minutes away from my last uni exam when i made that post....

i dont want to upset anyone, i just dont see what a silly sound matters..... its just a harmless bit of fun booing its part of intimidating the oppositon i bet the players like to stick it up the booing crowd

NMWBloods
16th June 2004, 04:35 PM
Sounds mean things - like get @@@@@@@ed you slimy c*** are just sounds, but means something particularly nasty. Not saying booing is like that, but it also means something. If it doesn't mean anything would you boo at a concert?

ps: I wasn't directing the above comment at anyone!! :eek: :)

Tooth Fairy
16th June 2004, 08:35 PM

ps: I wasn't directing the above comment at anyone!! :eek: :)
OH :( and here I was feeling flattered

ScottH
17th June 2004, 02:24 PM
OK, call me a hypocrite!!!!

Now you have that out of the way, I know I hate booing, But I forgot we play Eddiewood next week. I officially retract all my statements in this thread for 2 weeks, only!!

Hmmmm. Tho..

"Boo" might actually mean something in their language, and be mistaken for cheering!!

So, Be vewy vewy caweful!!!
:cool:

Mark
17th June 2004, 02:31 PM
im sorry ... in my defence i was about 10 minutes away from my last uni exam when i made that post....

i dont want to upset anyone, i just dont see what a silly sound matters..... its just a harmless bit of fun booing its part of intimidating the oppositon i bet the players like to stick it up the booing crowd

I hope for your sake it was not an English language exam !

swansrule100
18th June 2004, 03:33 PM
well watching last year against collingwood on fox footy today i saw everytime collingwood did a thing the swans fans booed all round the ground...

so we can hardly have a go at port fans for booing

futhermore i would think booing the other team is not half as bad as a personal attack on eddie mcguire

and worse than all this the fans of the swans who leave with 5 minutes to go.....who cares if the teams 100 points down why leave them to beat the traffic its sacreligious

NMWBloods
18th June 2004, 08:34 PM
well watching last year against collingwood on fox footy today i saw everytime collingwood did a thing the swans fans booed all round the ground...

so we can hardly have a go at port fans for booing

Well I can, because I will also say that anyone (even Swans supporters) who boo for no reason should have a good hard look at themselves (such a useful saying that!!;) ).

futhermore i would think booing the other team is not half as bad as a personal attack on eddie mcguire

Yeah, I'm not a real fan of that.

BAM_BAM
19th June 2004, 04:01 PM
During the Collingwood game I'd suggest that Holland was near the play each time there was booing, as he had afterall clobbered Willo, in a cowardly digusting way.

And as I'm sure we've all agreed most of us do boo the player involved after an "incident" NOT for good play.

Captain
19th June 2004, 04:33 PM

Agree with that.

Booing a good goal is bad sportsanship
Personal gutless attacks on Eddie McGuire is just bad taste

Schneidergirl
19th June 2004, 08:52 PM
This thread is hilarious! :D

Ruda Wakening
20th June 2004, 12:47 AM
During the Collingwood game I'd suggest that Holland was near the play each time there was booing

Or maybe the people booing had seen this ...

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=192323&highlight=omg#192323