PDA

View Full Version : The bright side...if there is one.

anne
14th June 2004, 11:21 AM
Whilst being very upset about the performance and particularly the injuries (will they ever stop?) one thing worth keeping in mind was that we were always going to struggle in that game with the lack of personnel available. Luckily it was against a good team, at their home ground and we may not have beaten them at full strength anyway. So it was most likely pencilled in as a loss anyway. If we had played a "winnable" game against a lesser opponent and lost it would have been more upsetting. And to be honest I think anyone would have beaten us yesterday. Even good teams (except Brisbane) when missing too many quality players get flogged. I am glad it happened this week and not for the next few weeks.(touch wood).

Damien
14th June 2004, 12:16 PM
Yes being 6-6 and in the 8 - there are certainly worse positions we could be in... I guess.

I really hope we get a couple of players back and kill scumwood.....I just know even if we have 12 out and lose, the media will marvel at how well Collingwood did to win without Tarrant :mad:

Go Swannies
14th June 2004, 12:58 PM
There was a funny comment in the SMH today that closing Australia's Wonderland is now irrelevant because if you want a roller coaster ride just follow the Swans.

We'd want to win 7 of the next 11 games. That's do-able if we get a team back. And none are horrors - except we haven't won outside NSW/Vic this year. The team are going to have to get their heads together soon if they are to get anything out of this year. Mark Williams is gloating that he's finally worked out Sydney's "choking" game and that's why Port won yesterday. I thought they didn't - the Swans lost.

timthefish
14th June 2004, 01:14 PM
i guess it was always a pipe-dream that football park (AAMI) was going to somehow become a happy hunting-ground for us. still, the power and their supporters are fooling themselves if they think they've extracted revenge for us effectively ending their premiership campaign last year.

paralowiepower
14th June 2004, 02:37 PM
You cannot revenge a finals loss, Port supporters know that. Our time will come in September, to see if we have learnt anything from the past. Hopefully we will meet again this year, with both sides closer to full strength.

By the way, you guys had good support at the game, and it was good to see your fans sing and chant to the very end, atlot of Mebourne clubs should take notice.

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 02:49 PM
personally i thought if we won 1/2 of the saints power games we could be happy.. and we did

also when i looked last week i felt we could win all games without doubt except

melb in melbourne
geel at geelong
freo in perth
and power in sa

if we win 2 or 3 of these we should be happy i think we can win the two victorian games..and if injuries can be controlled we could win the perth one hopefully..

Red
14th June 2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Mark Williams is gloating that he's finally worked out Sydney's "choking" game and that's why Port won yesterday. I thought they didn't - the Swans lost.
I agree GS. I thought Wiliams' post-match comments were extremely churlish, not to mention arrogant (which is typical when they win).

This "we've unlocked the Swans negative tactics" was just utter crap. How about saying "we were fortunate to play them when half their best 18 are out, and we're starting to get some of our best back"? Would be a lot more gracious, not to mention closer to the truth.

But then he is a good one to talk about a "choking" game. After all, They've mastered the art of choking in the past few years. :)

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 03:30 PM
the port magpies sing cheer cheer the black and the white i think

paralowiepower
14th June 2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
the port magpies sing cheer cheer the black and the white i think
That they do

swansrule100
14th June 2004, 03:33 PM
not that its relevant :P

liz
14th June 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Red
I agree GS. I thought Wiliams' post-match comments were extremely churlish, not to mention arrogant (which is typical when they win).

This "we've unlocked the Swans negative tactics" was just utter crap. How about saying "we were fortunate to play them when half their best 18 are out, and we're starting to get some of our best back"? Would be a lot more gracious, not to mention closer to the truth.

But then he is a good one to talk about a "choking" game. After all, They've mastered the art of choking in the past few years. :)

I find this whole "negative tactics" thing rubbish in itself. Every team tries to use its defensive abilities all around the ground when it doesn't have the ball or the run of play is going against it, and tries to open the game up when it is on top. Every team tries to play to its own strengths and work to mitigate its oppostion's. The Swans are no different. The Power are no different.

Anyone who watched the Swans play their best football last year and still reckons the team uses predominantly defensive, negative football has rocks in their head. It was wonderful attacking football of the first order that got the Swans to a 40 point lead last year in the QF. They only clogged it up in the final quarter when they had no bench left and no run in their legs.

But I'm more than happy for Choko to think he's got the Swans worked out.

BAM_BAM
14th June 2004, 06:03 PM
Chocko may have been a good player, but I can't stand him. Don't know why, but I never have had much time for him. Perhaps it's his whineyness (if there is such a word) and his arrogance like yesterday.

To be humble in defeat is one thing, but to humble in victory shows your true mettle. And at the moment yours is a dull tarnished grey.

ScottH
14th June 2004, 08:40 PM
The Bright side was the Last qtr. The game was already over, but we started to score regularly. Tiger and Bazza kicked a few scores which no one else seemed to be able to do earlier. And except for bad kicking/windy conditions(?), the score could've been a bit more respectable in the last term.

sharp9
15th June 2004, 01:10 PM
Can't believe Williams said that...except that I already thought he was a crap coach. He could have said "one side ran hard and worked hard, one side only went hard when the ball happened to come their way." They unlocked nothing. The Swans didn't play their game. That's the point. There was no opposition for Port to beat on Sunday.

The Swans don't use negative tactics. I don't know where these huys get their ideas from.

Negative tactics...that would be manning up and trying to stop the opposition moving the ball forward. That's what the Power did on Sunday and what we did to the Saints. It's called good play.

Negative tactics....like last year's prelim when we played like Port played on Sunday.
The guy is a loser. No doubt. Same with Connolly. When their team wins it has nothing to do with them.