PDA

View Full Version : Playing Footy in Sydney

Phil Tarbox
16th June 2004, 01:06 PM
Can anyone give me any idea who I should contact to play footy in Sydney?

I am almost 30, and would like to play a season or two before I get too old! (if not too old already)

From the aflsydney.com.au website, 2nd division seems to be the lowest division - Why not start from the bottom!

What is the standard and age of the average player in this division, how often do the teams train (I live in the inner west), and are the games played on Satuday or Sunday, or a mixture?

Any help would be appreciated!

Phil

Rafters
16th June 2004, 04:48 PM
Always welcome to come along to a training session with the mighty Holroyd Parramatta Goannas.

Tues & Thurs nights 6.30pm
Goanna Park
Gipps Rd Sporting Complex
Greystanes

Play in First division ... all matches on Saturdays. Reserves 12pm. Seniors 2pm. Premier League & 2nd division have a mix match of Sat & Sun games (hard to plan social life & its easier to recover on Sun mornings rather than Mon mornings)

18 a side (unlike Premier League which is 16 a side ... when are the 2 extra players going to get a game so that an extra 32 guys can play footy each week????)

Age bracket ranges from 17 thru to 43. Average age 31.4. Premier League is generally a younger group (still with a requirement of 6 players under 23??).

We have lots of first year players that have made a good fist of it. If you are too good for us, then we promise to send you up to Premier League.

Any queries to club president John Perry 0410 601866.
www.goannas.com.au

Be quick because 30th June rego cut-off is just around the corner.

Well done on making the first move towards a great decision

Phil Tarbox
17th June 2004, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rafters
[B]Always welcome to come along to a training session with the mighty Holroyd Parramatta Goannas.

Tues & Thurs nights 6.30pm
Goanna Park
Gipps Rd Sporting Complex
Greystanes

Thanks for the reply Rafters. Is 2 nights of training a week "compulsory"? I'm not sure that I'd be able to make 2 nights.

Thanks for the offer for this year, although I think I'd be pretty underdone. I need to get my fitness to a level where I'd be happy, and get my kids to an age where it won't be a huge burden for my wife on weeknights, and on weekends (3 kids under two, with the youngest 12 week old idential twin boys! - certainly got my hands full!)

Great to know I'd not be the oldest player going around.

Phil

DLH
17th June 2004, 04:14 PM
Hi Phil,

You could always come and play with Penrith. We have teams in Division One and Division Two so you're sure to find a standard that works for you. Caters for the novice who has never played through to what you would call your "good footballers" at the top end.

One of our guys actually lives at Dulwich Hill and trains once a week. He's a good fella so I'm sure we could arrange something if you'd like.

Anyhow, you don't want to play for Rafters' mob ;)

Let me know if you would like any more info or alternatively you can call the senior coach, Jason Bradley on 0417 243 009 and he can point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Rafters
18th June 2004, 05:26 PM
We are not fully-paid athletes so traiing isn't compulsory, but thoroughly recommended that you attend as many as feasible so as to:

* improve your fitness;
* make yourself more noticed with the coach;
* get to know your teammates better.

Recommend that you come down & train with the boys for the rest of the year, even if you don't decide to play, as:

* you will improve your fitness sooner,
* you will improve your footy skills sooner; and
* you get to see what the Goannas are like.

Doesn't bother us where you play be it Penrith, Parramatta or the Penguins, so long as you get the opportunity to play footy in Sydney. I think some of the bigger clubs around forget that we are merely ambassadors of the game & one of the main purposes is participation.

DLH
18th June 2004, 05:37 PM
You know how it is Rafters, it's always hard getting new guys to play out this way. Not like those inner-city mobs who get every new bloke from interstate walk through their doors ;)

Phil Tarbox
28th July 2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Rafters
We are not fully-paid athletes so traiing isn't compulsory, but thoroughly recommended that you attend as many as feasible so as to:

* improve your fitness;
* make yourself more noticed with the coach;
* get to know your teammates better.

Recommend that you come down & train with the boys for the rest of the year, even if you don't decide to play, as:

* you will improve your fitness sooner,
* you will improve your footy skills sooner; and
* you get to see what the Goannas are like.

Doesn't bother us where you play be it Penrith, Parramatta or the Penguins, so long as you get the opportunity to play footy in Sydney. I think some of the bigger clubs around forget that we are merely ambassadors of the game & one of the main purposes is participation.

Hi Rafters,

I may well take you up on your offer next year to train. I don't think I'll be up for playing next year, but probably the year after. 3 young kids keeps me pretty busy, but I may be able to get out of home duties one night every couple of weeks.

I am getting along to a 2nds games in the next few weeks at Wagener Field not far from me - mainly to have a look at the standard of play.

Thanks again for your interest.

Phil

parade old boy
29th July 2004, 12:42 PM
Pennant Hills have to reserve grade sides, one in The Premier League and the other in the lower comp, news is if you are good enough you can start in the 3rd's and move your way skywards tp the premier reserves and 1st if your good enough

Phil Tarbox
8th February 2005, 10:53 AM

Doesn't bother us where you play be it Penrith, Parramatta or the Penguins, so long as you get the opportunity to play footy in Sydney. I think some of the bigger clubs around forget that we are merely ambassadors of the game & one of the main purposes is participation. [/B]

Hi Rafters,

Thought you may be interested to know that I've been to training with UNSW ES Bulldogs for the last 2 Monday nights. Have had an absolute ball, and have been made very welcome. The first person to say G'day to me was Troy Luff, which was a bit of a spin out.

UNSW have 2 2nd division teams this year, so plenty of chances to get a run. I've been learning a lot, and think it will enhance my viewing of AFL matches.

UNSW are quite keen for the 2nds players to learn something each week at training, and to mainly have fun.

You are right in that we are ambassadors here in Sydney, and hopefully I can help at least 1 person see the light!!

Wishing your team a great season ahead.

Phil

Tooth Fairy
8th February 2005, 12:01 PM
Good on ya Phil. Glad to see you followed it through. Hope all goes well

DLH
8th February 2005, 12:13 PM
Speaking of Rafters, have you got the new bat you won in Inside Cricket magazine yet??!! I presume that was you......

Pekay
8th February 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Phil Tarbox
Hi Rafters,

Thought you may be interested to know that I've been to training with UNSW ES Bulldogs for the last 2 Monday nights. Have had an absolute ball, and have been made very welcome. The first person to say G'day to me was Troy Luff, which was a bit of a spin out.

UNSW have 2 2nd division teams this year, so plenty of chances to get a run. I've been learning a lot, and think it will enhance my viewing of AFL matches.

UNSW are quite keen for the 2nds players to learn something each week at training, and to mainly have fun.

You are right in that we are ambassadors here in Sydney, and hopefully I can help at least 1 person see the light!!

Phil good to see Phil,welcome to Sydney footy.ps- get a mouthguard-and headgear if needed,that comp has some heavy(and late) hitters!all the best from Norwest FC

Rafters
8th February 2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by DLH
Speaking of Rafters, have you got the new bat you won in Inside Cricket magazine yet??!! I presume that was you......

Sure was me ... and yes I got the bat last week - an absolute beauty too - no wonder Punter scores so many runs (he signed it too) ... they are obviously short of articles for March issue because they came by & took a few snaps of me with it for the mag.

Well done Phil on joining up - enjoy your season - make sure you tell them that you are a utility forward (ie not a back!)

Phil Tarbox
9th February 2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Pekay
good to see Phil,welcome to Sydney footy.ps- get a mouthguard-and headgear if needed,that comp has some heavy(and late) hitters!all the best from Norwest FC

Thanks for the advice - I'm looking into a mouthguard today!

The roughness is my biggest concern (and my wife's!) but I won't know until I try it!

Phil Tarbox
9th February 2005, 09:34 AM

Well done Phil on joining up - enjoy your season - make sure you tell them that you are a utility forward (ie not a back!) [/B]

I'm assuming playing back is not much chop - But I can see troubles playing forward due to the fact that everyone wants to!

My guess is that I'll end up on a wing and spend some time in the midfield, but not sure how I'm going to go for fitness.

I'll try and stay away from the backline, but will be happy for a run anywhere!

Phil

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 05:28 PM
Can anyone give me any idea who I should contact to play footy in Sydney?

I am almost 30, and would like to play a season or two before I get too old! (if not too old already)

From the aflsydney.com.au website, 2nd division seems to be the lowest division - Why not start from the bottom!

What is the standard and age of the average player in this division, how often do the teams train (I live in the inner west), and are the games played on Satuday or Sunday, or a mixture?

Any help would be appreciated!

Phil

Rafters where are you playing this year?

Mightyswans2005
11th February 2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by DLH

Pekay,

Where are the Jets located? Have you picked up and lost alot of players this year?

Pekay
14th February 2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Mightyswans2005
Pekay,

Where are the Jets located? Have you picked up and lost alot of players this year? Mighty,the Norwest Jets play at the back corner of Sydney at Bensons Lane Richmond.we cover the north west from Blacktown/Hills thru to Windsor Richmond. we always start the year with a relatively new list due to our RAAF affiliation bringing in players from all over,so its always hard to tell at this stage.we have lost the SFA leading goals in Fraser Thomson to Balmain,our ruck Mick Kemp to Bathurst and wing/HF Jye Clayden has returned to Forth FC in sunny Taswegia,plus most RAAFies have been deployed for relief effort for a longer period than usual.have a handful of pick ups from different bases in Oz,so we'll go alright.where are you from then?

Mightyswans2005
14th February 2005, 12:40 PM
Mighty,the Norwest Jets play at the back corner of Sydney at Bensons Lane Richmond.we cover the north west from Blacktown/Hills thru to Windsor Richmond. we always start the year with a relatively new list due to our RAAF affiliation bringing in players from all over,so its always hard to tell at this stage.we have lost the SFA leading goals in Fraser Thomson to Balmain,our ruck Mick Kemp to Bathurst and wing/HF Jye Clayden has returned to Forth FC in sunny Taswegia,plus most RAAFies have been deployed for relief effort for a longer period than usual.have a handful of pick ups from different bases in Oz,so we'll go alright.where are you from then?

I used to play in the comp 3 years ago but moved back to vic, and am back in sydney now to have a run again, but havent decided where i shall play. Just looking at who has the strong sides as i want another premiership! Who will be the stringer sides in both leagues do you think this year.
So obviously the Jets havent lost to much is they have only lost a few players? Losing your ruck HF, FF must take away a bit of height and power in your forward line.

Im living out at Dean Park at the moment, so i might come down and have a look at the jets in the next week or so. Where are you guys training at How many nights a week you train?Unfortuntely with work commitments i shall be moving closer to the city so i have to weigh things up with where i should play!

Where did the jets finish last year? It works out alright if you dont have a HF or FF, might mean i get to kick a few goals. How many did that bloke kick last yr or the year before whenever he kicked the goals?

Pekay
14th February 2005, 01:39 PM
I used to play in the comp 3 years ago but moved back to vic, and am back in sydney now to have a run again, but havent decided where i shall play. Just looking at who has the strong sides as i want another premiership! Who will be the stringer sides in both leagues do you think this year.
So obviously the Jets havent lost to much is they have only lost a few players? Losing your ruck HF, FF must take away a bit of height and power in your forward line.

Im living out at Dean Park at the moment, so i might come down and have a look at the jets in the next week or so. Where are you guys training at How many nights a week you train?Unfortuntely with work commitments i shall be moving closer to the city so i have to weigh things up with where i should play!

Where did the jets finish last year? It works out alright if you dont have a HF or FF, might mean i get to kick a few goals. How many did that bloke kick last yr or the year before whenever he kicked the goals? im at Kings Park,might have to have a beer at the Plumpton soon mate!!we were training at Quakers Hill but the junior ground there is useless at present(im sick of synthetic wickets-and turf while im at it)so back at Bensons Lane two nights a week.last yr we finished 7th(10th in 03)just missed maiden finals appearance,lost a handful of games by a kick that we shouldve cantered home,but thats footy i guess.Fraser will be missed,he kicked 55-60 odd last yr,he knows himself he couldve cracked close to a ton had he used his massive frame to better effect,see how he goes at Tigerland.who did you previously run around with?

Mightyswans2005
14th February 2005, 01:52 PM
im at Kings Park,might have to have a beer at the Plumpton soon mate!!we were training at Quakers Hill but the junior ground there is useless at present(im sick of synthetic wickets-and turf while im at it)so back at Bensons Lane two nights a week.last yr we finished 7th(10th in 03)just missed maiden finals appearance,lost a handful of games by a kick that we shouldve cantered home,but thats footy i guess.Fraser will be missed,he kicked 55-60 odd last yr,he knows himself he couldve cracked close to a ton had he used his massive frame to better effect,see how he goes at Tigerland.who did you previously run around with?

Thats not a bad effort for playing CF. All the grounds in sydney seem to have cricket wickets on them! You dont see many wickets on rugby fields. With exception the uni.

played with UTS. Does anyone know how they are going for numbers this year? Have they lost or picked up any talent?

Rafters
14th February 2005, 02:16 PM
Rafters where are you playing this year?

Unsure where I am playing ... played the last 2 years in Cairns but have been in Sydney for past 2 months for a bit of business & unsure if I will be staying down here ... just doing my own training at this stage.

Would love to play in Cairns again as I enjoyed the quality football & sensational facilities up there.

Coastal Boy
14th February 2005, 06:02 PM
Is that the Fraser that played full forward with the Jets in the u18s a few years back??? I remember he was a very tall and solid boy. What sort of footballer has he developed into?? He still seemed a little green and needed some solid work to achieve his full potential when I last saw him. He was also nursing a few major injuries from memory. How will he go at Balmain??? Is he a definite first grader??

j s
14th February 2005, 07:38 PM
Unsure where I am playing ... played the last 2 years in Cairns but have been in Sydney for past 2 months for a bit of business & unsure if I will be staying down here ... just doing my own training at this stage.

Would love to play in Cairns again as I enjoyed the quality football & sensational facilities up there.
You weren't playing in last year's GF up there were you? :eek:

Rafters
14th February 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by j s
You weren't playing in last year's GF up there were you? :eek:

Not quite - although I did witness it first hand.

Bit hard to make the GF from seventh place and only a top four finals system!

Pekay
15th February 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Coastal Boy
Is that the Fraser that played full forward with the Jets in the u18s a few years back??? I remember he was a very tall and solid boy. What sort of footballer has he developed into?? He still seemed a little green and needed some solid work to achieve his full potential when I last saw him. He was also nursing a few major injuries from memory. How will he go at Balmain??? Is he a definite first grader?? that be the one,"HEFFA" as we affectionately call him,has one of the biggest straightest kicks going around,its like he puts no effort into his kick,and still sends it a mile.ive been at him since day blot about crushing the silly bugger who steps into his hole,or anyone that tries to stop him.he played league at school and hits like a sledgehammer,but hasnt put anyone in a meatwagon.he would be over 105kg i reckon,but his pace off the blocks is pretty impressive.i think he'll do very well at Tigerland,maybe CHF depending on his mobility and the personnel the Tiges have,but personally id play him at FF. he's most effective there(and i can play on him that way)he has the skills to play one's,yes.

Mightyswans2005
15th February 2005, 01:17 PM
Not quite - although I did witness it first hand.

Bit hard to make the GF from seventh place and only a top four finals system!

Rafters what was the GF like? I didnt get to see any of the game but heard that it was really entertaining!

Mightyswans2005
15th February 2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Rafters,

Phil

Phil,

What is it like training under Luffy?

Mightyswans2005
15th February 2005, 01:25 PM
Hi Rafters,

Phil

Does anyone know what the sydney site for the AFL, is there such a thing?

Phil Tarbox
15th February 2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know what the sydney site for the AFL, is there such a thing?

Hi MightySwans,

Try http://www.aflsydney.com.au/ or http://www.aflnswact.com.au/ for all of NSW

Phil

Phil Tarbox
15th February 2005, 03:01 PM
Phil,

What is it like training under Luffy?

Has been great so far. He is training the 1's, and I'm only hoping to get a runs in the 2's. All players do start the night off together with a short run, stretches, shuttle runs etc followed by handball and kicking drills. Lots of footy's and lots of players.

It was a real thrill in my 2nd week to have to kick to Luffy in one of these drills. Thankfully I hit him!

After that, the 2's break off into their own group, so can't comment on the rest.

His skills are very good (as you would expect) and he looks a million dollars - not an ounce of fat!

Physically he pushes us - last night after 2 hours, we then had 3 shuttle runs 10m to 50m do before we finished.

Overall, training has been a very positive experience.

Hope this answers the question

Phil

Rafters
15th February 2005, 04:51 PM
Rafters what was the GF like? I didnt get to see any of the game but heard that it was really entertaining!

An non-event ... no entertainment at all & the correct decision to declare it null & void. You can do a google search of Cairns AFL brawl & you will get a fairly descriptive version of the day. Pity as I was enjoying myself in the corporate facilities that Cazalys had to offer, before the place erupyed & Cairns officials were running around having impromptu board meetings deciding what to do.

But Cairns footy is really not like that at all ... closer to Canberra footy than Sydney footy.