PDA

View Full Version : Some good news for Vic. fans

floppinab
23rd June 2004, 01:34 AM
Here's the requests.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/22/1087844937550.html?from=storyrhs

Club chairman Richard Colless said the club had received negative feedback from Melbourne-based Swans members, and feared they were not getting value for money with only four Sydney games in Melbourne and one in Geelong.

"We are very keen to play six games in Melbourne, we've got 6000 paid-up members there and we are targeting 10,000," he said. "They are just not getting enough value for money."

Now to get the games.
Still nothing on Sunday arvo games tho :(

ScottH
23rd June 2004, 07:26 AM
Interesting!!

Some one is listening!!!

I guess we will see very soon if they care!!!

Mike_B
23rd June 2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by hemsleys
Interesting!!

Some one is listening!!!

I guess we will see very soon if they care!!!

Yes, the club is listening, but do the AFL care????

EMJ
23rd June 2004, 09:28 AM
Good to see the Swans are trying for the Melbourne fans.
AFL has to now sit up - if they don't listen - blame AFL not
Swans.

dendol
23rd June 2004, 10:14 AM
does more melbourne games mean less games in adelaide and perth?

Damien
23rd June 2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by dendol
does more melbourne games mean less games in adelaide and perth?

Unless the Bulldogs game is returned to melbourne - the games would have to be taken from Adelaide, Perth, and Brissie yes.....

(Big time :) if we got that deal lol)

dendol
23rd June 2004, 10:29 AM
theres nothing like killing two birds with one stone: give our loyal melbourne supporters more games to see live (hopefully giving us more experience at the MCG), and ridding ourselves of the dreaded trips west.

Mike_B
23rd June 2004, 10:30 AM
IMHO the AFL would be very reluctant to only have Sydney and Brisbane play once a year - so working off that assumption, compared to this year, the extra Melbourne game would replace a trip to Perth.

Damien
23rd June 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
IMHO the AFL would be very reluctant to only have Sydney and Brisbane play once a year - so working off that assumption, compared to this year, the extra Melbourne game would replace a trip to Perth.

What an awful, awful scenario ;)

Mike_B
23rd June 2004, 10:51 AM
Well yes - it would mean we're becoming more like Collingwood - barely any trips to Perth!

Damien
23rd June 2004, 11:06 AM
Well yes - it would mean we're becoming more like Collingwood - barely any trips to Perth!

Now we just need to find Colless a game show to host -:)

DST
23rd June 2004, 11:11 AM
Well done Tony Moorwood, thank you for passing on to head office our comments regarding the 2005 fixture.

While writing a letter might have sounded rather corny at the time, it shows what can be acheived by letting people know your views in a civil, calm and rational way.

The ball is now firmly in the court of the AFL, to now grant our request for the extra(s) game next year.

DST
:D

JF_Bay22_SCG
23rd June 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Damien
What an awful, awful scenario ;)

Perth's not such a bad place guys. But it's bloody far away. And the flights are expensive.

So another game in Melbourne gets my vote.

The pizza is so much better in Clarendon St than in Hay St Subiaco. And you don't have to bloody book 3 weeks in advance to score a table.

JF

stellation
23rd June 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by floppinab
Still nothing on Sunday arvo games tho :(

I still can't believe that the St Kilda game is the last SCG game for the year for those with little ones...

Bart
23rd June 2004, 11:37 AM

Well. What it would mean is one trip to Perth and one trip to Adelaide per year. However, it is not as simple as it sounds. Each SA and WA team plays 11 home games. Lets paint a picture where all teams over west play each other at home one, i.e. Freo play Eagles, Crows and Port. This reduces the number of home games to be filled to 8 each or 32 in total. If every non-WA and non-SA team played once in each city, this would still leave 8 games to be filled, meaning that 8 of the remaining 12 teams would have to travel 3 times. Have we as good a case as anyone to be one of the 4 that travels only twice, sure, but be aware that the odds aren't great.

I think it makes a great deal of sense that the Lions and Swans play each other twice every year, which leaves 4 matches to work with

1. Kangaroos in ACT - strong strategic reasons to keep this
2. Bulldogs in Sydney - will this agreement remain ?
3. One less WA/SA match - will be one of 4 teams who can get this
4. Geelong - would Vic members accept 5 matches in Melbourne instead of 4 and 1 in Geelong ?

floppinab
23rd June 2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I still can't believe that the St Kilda game is the last SCG game for the year for those with little ones...

With you there stella, my family had such a top top day for the Saints game we've being saying the same thing for a while.

Litmus test will be the crowd for the Lions game. Wouldn't expect the Crows or the Roos to draw too many.

stellation
23rd June 2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
With you there stella, my family had such a top top day for the Saints game we've being saying the same thing for a while.

Litmus test will be the crowd for the Lions game. Wouldn't expect the Crows or the Roos to draw too many.

We were the same too. For a long time I have been going with my dad, the Saints was the first game my 3 y.o. son had gone to and he thought it was the best thing in the world... on top of that his beloved Barry Hall kicked a goal from right in front of him in the first minute!

He has talked us into letting him go to the Collingwood match as well, but he seriously will be awake for the first 1/4 and a half... and will turn into an iceblock...

anne
23rd June 2004, 12:57 PM
Why do we have to play Brisbane twice? I am sick of having to play the best team twice.

DST
23rd June 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by stellation
We were the same too. For a long time I have been going with my dad, the Saints was the first game my 3 y.o. son had gone to and he thought it was the best thing in the world... on top of that his beloved Barry Hall kicked a goal from right in front of him in the first minute!

He has talked us into letting him go to the Collingwood match as well, but he seriously will be awake for the first 1/4 and a half... and will turn into an iceblock...

An iceblock in Sydney, try going to the football in Melbourne.

Spent a week in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and had a great time walking around with out a jacket at night, it was dead set warm.

DST

ScottH
23rd June 2004, 01:29 PM
But, if we lose a WA game, what will Peter Hatley do for his holidays????

Wardy
23rd June 2004, 01:47 PM
We wait and see what the AFL decides, but as always it comes down to the mighty dollar - so I think we will be doing the road trips as per usual and the Pies staying at home.

We can of course hope for a miracle and get a few more games in Melbourne.

stellation
23rd June 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DST
An iceblock in Sydney, try going to the football in Melbourne.

Spent a week in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and had a great time walking around with out a jacket at night, it was dead set warm.

DST

I have, bloody freezing there too... Homebush is one of those places that seems to get down and extra few degrees in the evening... and he is just a little fellow!

ScottH
23rd June 2004, 02:28 PM
Thats coz, Homebush is built on a swamp. There would be a lot more moisture in the ground than normal there.

Wardy
23rd June 2004, 02:42 PM
I was out there last Saturday night at the Wallabies v Scotland match - had four layers of clothes and thermal blanket and was still freezing! - and yet there heaps of lovely Scottish chaps wearing Kilts and short sleeved shirts! (it made this old girls heart skip a beat I can tell you!)

Still dont like Homebush though - prefer the SCG anyday - its more like home!

Damien
23rd June 2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Wardy
I was out there last Saturday night at the Wallabies v Scotland match - had four layers of clothes and thermal blanket and was still freezing! - and yet there heaps of lovely Scottish chaps wearing Kilts and short sleeved shirts! (it made this old girls heart skip a beat I can tell you!)

Still dont like Homebush though - prefer the SCG anyday - its more like home!

Sydneysiders are spoilt brats :) Being of "tasmanian" blood, I hardly feel the cold. It is like 20 degrees most winter days here and everyone complains at work! (Totally fine for me lol)

I start complaining when it hits 30's and the jungle Sydney humidity hits 9000% !!!!

Wardy
23rd June 2004, 03:32 PM
you are right - most sydneysiders havent experienced a winter on the western side of the great dividing range - having worked in Tamworth for 5 years and that means 5 summers and winters, we experienced the lot. The winters in Tamworth were far colder (-7 in the mornings sometimes!) than the winters I endured for 3 years in Melbourne, and then a Tamworth summer - 45 degrees, dust & then the floods - but the 11 a side Aussie Rules comp was always fun to watch, and there were only 3 teams so it was a rather short season!

swansrule100
23rd June 2004, 04:02 PM
if you can sit at a tassie night game and live ...i doubt any cold would bug you

Bleed Red Blood
23rd June 2004, 04:06 PM
I read that this morning, then gave a yell of delight.