PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for the boys???

floppinab
29th June 2004, 10:21 PM
Dale Holmes.

Any thoughts????

From the AFL Website :

"Dale has had senior management experience in the financial services industry for the past 15 years and is currently the General Manager, MLC Alliances, based in Sydney. He has been responsible for managing a team of 45 people at MLC, managed an expense budget of $11.4 million and sales budgets of $10.3 billion (investment), $100 million (annual premium insurance) and $1.5 billion (banking)."

Zero sports administration experience, sometimes an outsider can be the right way to go, no baggage etc. etc. but I'm not too sure about this.
Got a lot of similarities to the Ben Buckley appointment.

Troy G
5th July 2004, 12:39 PM
I think an "outsider" is needed to come into the position and identify what I believe is urgently needed massive funding and attention and focus into the second tier of Aussie Rules in Sydney so that there is a pathway for all, not just the hand picked chosen few!

The Sydney AFL as a competition is dead and has been for years now, no money, no supporters (other than friends and family), struggle to get teams on the oval, no media interest, no AFL interest, no Swans interest etc.

As I've said numerous times it needs a massive makeover in the form of a State League and ground upgrades.

The NSWAFL Commission/AFL should reach agreements with local councils to develop Sydney's bigger grounds, Olds Park at Mortdale and Monarch at Macquarie Fields, as well as Newcastle (can't think what it's called) asap with AFL the number one tenant in winter at these grounds.

That will give NSWAFL five strategically placed ovals for the second tier of AFL in the Greater Sydney region, Mortdale (South), Monarch (West), Newcastle (North), North Sydney Oval and the SCG.

I'd also start a State League in 2006 with teams competing in the Sydney AFL merged between now and the end of the September 2005 to increase their profile, finances, supporters, media interest, coaching and playing strength. These clubs would then be playing at -or due to play at- the above grounds when completed.

In the near future other clubs from Newcastle, Penrith and Central Coast might be considered, should the State League be deemed a success.

footyhead
6th July 2004, 08:11 AM
Troy,
I presume you have mentioned these thoughts to the relevant bodies: NSWAFL, AFL .. SFL Teams.. ect

Troy G
6th July 2004, 12:30 PM
Numerous times....they are well aware of my consistent views over the years in this area, but unfortunately you can only lead a horse to water!

footyhead
7th July 2004, 07:10 AM
Well done for putting your effort where your heart is Troy. Unfortunatley we live in an oligarch centerd society, and one need to be a millionaire businessman to have any sphere of influence these days.