Ready, steady...

midaro
3rd July 2004, 03:22 PM
Tough game by the sound of it.

Schneider ON
Fingers CROSSED

midaro
3rd July 2004, 03:31 PM
Apparently Ablett is tagging Scotland - and doing well so far..

Interesting, if he can succeed as a tagger it frees up Crouch/Kirk...

Still, how many small defensive players do we need?

Mike_B
3rd July 2004, 03:40 PM
Why do we insist on this continual handballing???? If you can't get a clean kick nor a clean handball away, kick it - it goes further!!!!!

Just before quarter time and we've had as many handballs as kicks, whereas Carlton have about 2 kicks to each handball.

Looks likme its gonna be a tough tight game where you have to be accountable. A good test for us.

midaro
3rd July 2004, 04:03 PM
Jeez we're lucky they aren't kicking straight.

Mike_B
3rd July 2004, 04:11 PM
Can see that what we need is a bit of space - when we get that, its pretty clear we're a class above them. The thing is, we have to work and work to get that because they're playing VERY accountable footy.

midaro
3rd July 2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Schneider ON
Fingers CROSSED

Seems it didn't help...

If I heard correctly, both Schneider & Doyle are on the bench with 'twinges'.

Confirmation?

stellation
3rd July 2004, 04:19 PM
NOG is playing with a bit more confidence than normal.

ugg
3rd July 2004, 04:19 PM
Schneider went to the bench immediately after a contest where he ran about 50m, looked proppy but wasn't receiving any treatment.
Doyle has been rucking and doing quite well. In fact, he and Ball and dominating.
Ablett doing as he pleases at the moment, his opponent Scotland has been very unaccountable. McVeigh also did some nice things.

Mike_B
3rd July 2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by stellation
NOG is playing with a bit more confidence than normal.

Agree there, could be the game that makes him if he can keep it up. Really playing a leading role for us which he's never done before.

stellation
3rd July 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Schneider went to the bench immediately after a contest where he ran about 50m, looked proppy but wasn't receiving any treatment.

Yep, seemed to be suffering from an acute case of the "coming straight into the ones after a long lay-off" syndrome.

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 04:22 PM
No looks like Schneider was just worn out! Too much running for those little legs! :D

Shocking miss by my Mr, but is trying hard on the little time he's on the field.

Great game so far by NOG, Maxi and Pebbles

stellation
3rd July 2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Agree there, could be the game that makes him if he can keep it up. Really playing a leading role for us which he's never done before.

I hope he can, he has great disposal skills- we look much better with the ball moving forward from his feet than from Jude's.

ugg
3rd July 2004, 04:23 PM
Oh yeah, shocking miss indeed! Did well to get himself out of two tackles though. Just looks so classy with the ball.

dendol
3rd July 2004, 04:26 PM
yeah my heart sank when Schneider ran straight for the boundary line. Luckily it looks like he just ran out of steam and needed a break! Just lacking some touch (including the miss from point blank!), which will hopefully come back with a few more games under his belt.

NOGgy is having a blinder! Very good disposals today and is a ball magnet.

Captain
3rd July 2004, 04:36 PM
Go Noggy

He is on fire!

midaro
3rd July 2004, 04:36 PM
Nicksy seems to be really staking a claim for another contract.

Has Henneman... ah... I mean... Has LRT had any time on the ground yet? ;)

Edit: Doyle's OK.

Margie
3rd July 2004, 04:44 PM
Supposedly LRT has a calf injury.

Deluca seems to have the better of Adam Goodes. I wonder if his knee is bothering him?

Few players look proppy and this game could be very tight!

Oh, and is it my imagination, or do the commentators get more excited when Carlton have the ball than when Sydney have it? Even Schwatta is sounding a bit biased.

Mike_B
3rd July 2004, 05:09 PM
The turnovers at the end of the 3rd quarter......ARGH.....half a dozen in a row. We gifted them an opportunity back into this game and really need to turn things around now. Hard running, pressure, second efforts. It will come down to how much we want it.

midaro
3rd July 2004, 05:09 PM
1 pt at 3/4 time. Carlton have had the better of it for longer.

2 steps forward, 1 step back... all season.

ugg
3rd July 2004, 05:11 PM
Argh, can't believe we let them back into it in that quarter. Goodes looks completely at sea at the moment. They are taking way too many marks in the F50.

SXP
3rd July 2004, 05:14 PM
Once they (the Swans) have given them (Carlton) a sniff at the victory, they'll go all the way. I'm afraid that 4th quarter is going to be all the same and the victory might slip away.

midaro
3rd July 2004, 05:20 PM
No excuses for this.

Absence of heart and embarassing.

Richmond and Hawthorn all over again.

Mike_B
3rd July 2004, 05:44 PM
No excuses for this.

Absence of heart and embarassing.

Richmond and Hawthorn all over again.

Seems they found some heart, but boy, did they do it the hard way!!!! How good was Paul Bevan in the last 5 mins or so???

And thank god we had our accurate kicking boots on in front of goal (despite the poor skills around the ground).

midaro
3rd July 2004, 05:46 PM
I hate barracking for the Swans.

It seems I have to believe they are going to lose, for them to win.

How can they allow a 40 pt turn around like they did through the middle part of the game? It just @@@@@s me.

Glenn
3rd July 2004, 05:55 PM
At least they came good when it counted, thankfully the kicking for goal was on target

midaro
3rd July 2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Margie
I had to walk away in that last quarter - too emotional. My kitchen now looks clean and tidy! We really HAD to win that one.

I went for a quick walk around the block at one stage.

Hell its cold in Ballarat.

Margie
3rd July 2004, 05:59 PM
Hope you have Fox Footy Midaro. We'll have to watch the replay now to (calmly) see the passages of play we missed.

ugg
3rd July 2004, 06:04 PM
I thought we were dead and buried when they went 3 goals ahead, and when Kennelly made 2 errors in the D50 I thought that was it, we're GORN. I still can't believe we won.

Diego
3rd July 2004, 06:05 PM
Feel good about the win but mixed emotions. I really did think the boys were tired and gone 5 minutes into that last qrt but then something clicked.

They fought back hard and credit to some of the youngsters. Worried about Willos current form with his disposals and easy things.

Bevan is a gun and thought the Irish man stood up in the last qrt.

Worried about Goodes. What do we do with him? IMHO he is not accountable as a defender. Wants to zone of to much and clearly was out classed today.

Our skills at times were worrying missing targets etc.

But Barry Hall what else can be said.

j0lly
3rd July 2004, 06:22 PM
wow

wat an awesomely stressful yet satisfying game!!

i was going to switch the game off in the 3rd quarter when we were 3 goals down...i was a mess

i thought this game was supposd to be a cinch but kudos to the blues for trying...

but in the end

WE WON!!

im glad the boys fought back n decided not to go down without a fight....and ended up winning!:D

i was impressd with nicksy and doyle...
better luck next time goodesy...and mick olaughlin

i am so glad we won today despite the thousands of **** ups!!

the ground was wet yeah? we never play well on wet

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by j0lly
i was going to switch the game off in the 3rd quarter when we were 3 goals down...i was a mess

Gees J0lly you seem to be walking out on a lot of games at 3/4 time.... :D ;) :p

j0lly
3rd July 2004, 06:30 PM
:eek: :p :eek:
well i ended up staying

and im glad i did...guts and glory to the boys!

Sid
3rd July 2004, 06:34 PM
This team has certainly been stretching my stress levels of late. Great game to barry hall, who probably could have gotten more goals if it werent for the several mistakes by sydney players. Was the ground wet before the game or something?

Barry Schneider
3rd July 2004, 06:35 PM
Never doubted them for a minute.Who am I kidding I thought we were gone after Carlton led by 18 and it looked like we stopped much like the Bris preliminary final.
I am pumped.Go you Swannies.
How good is Bevan?I wish we could reduce our clangers.I don't have any hair left after today.

port1978
3rd July 2004, 06:37 PM
Well done Sydney! Got my tip right! :)

Wil
3rd July 2004, 07:32 PM
How dodgy was the commentry? It sounded like Carlton were flogging Sydney by first quarter time even though we were leading. Very poor... does the radio commentry match up with the tv broadcast?

Swans had some dodgy skill errors and were still giving away too many free kicks. Stop the frees and we will look much better.

McVeigh got himself into some great positions only to ruin it with poor decision making - there is certainly potential!

Will this be Willo's last season? (We do have Schneider and Buchanon to replace him).

Thunder Shaker
3rd July 2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Sid
Was the ground wet before the game or something?
There was a light drizzle falling at one point. It was especially noticeable at the end of a quarter when I could look around and see it falling. The drizzle made it a bit slippery.

Wil
3rd July 2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Margie
How many times did we hear "Carlton are going for four in a row"? The commentary did swing our way a bit in the final quarter, with Bazza getting big wraps particularly from KB.
Aye! At least we didn't hear them say Carlton would of won if they had Fevola.

Jeffers1984
3rd July 2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Wil
Will this be Willo's last season?

NO! He's still got at least 2-3 seasons left.

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 07:52 PM
Commentary was pretty Caaaaaaaaaarlton based in 3rd quarter and half of the 4th.
They got a lot of Sydney players names mixed up.
I thought Goodes got a bit from KB and Campbell(?) about his form.

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Wil

Actually I remember "Fevola could have been the difference" twice mentioned during the game.

Is everyone (commentators) blind to the fact we are still missing big names (Davis, Schauble, Fozzie)!!!!

ItsAllGoodes
again we will have to put up with the cries of us winning when the opposition has their key forwards out. How about some acknowledgment about our guys winning when they lost Fozzy before the game (maybe that one was predictable), they lose LRT in the warm up and cant replace him and apparently Ball played with a bad back. Better to lose players during the week before and be able to plan for their absence than to lose players in the pre-game warm up.

With Schneider underdone, Micky putting in a bad one I thought it was a great effort from some of the unheralded players - NOG in particular but also Bevan...and I thought Doyle did ok in the ruck as well (but I wish he could hold some marks)

Margie
Schwatta also said things like "Goodes has had his colours lowered today".

monopoly19
3rd July 2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Schneidergirl
They got a lot of Sydney players names mixed up.

I know that O'Keefe and B2 looked fairly interchangable from a distance, but when one of them (B2, but was claimed as O'Keefe) takes a mark in the back 50 (predomionantly B2 territory), and then we get a close up of his face and his number, is it that hard to differentiate between them?

Schneidergirl
3rd July 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
NO! He's still got at least 2-3 seasons left.

Totally agree!

He is still carrying his injury from last week

sharp9
3rd July 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Wil
Aye! At least we didn't hear them say Carlton would of won if they had Fevola. yes they did...in the wrap up

BAM_BAM
3rd July 2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
I know that O'Keefe and B2 looked fairly interchangable from a distance, but when one of them (B2, but was claimed as O'Keefe) takes a mark in the back 50 (predomionantly B2 territory), and then we get a close up of his face and his number, is it that hard to differentiate between them?

nope I don't think so (surprise surprise). I guess the numbers are pretty easy to mix up from a distance too. They also called NOG Schneider a couple of times. Which baffled me.

I was pretty disappointed with Schwatta's comment about Goodes having his colours lowered.

RogueSwan
3rd July 2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I was pretty disappointed with Schwatta's comment about Goodes having his colours lowered.

He is a brownlow medalist and was getting beating by no names ( well no names to me).

Foreign Legion
3rd July 2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
There was a light drizzle falling at one point. It was especially noticeable at the end of a quarter when I could look around and see it falling. The drizzle made it a bit slippery.

Jeez TS - it was the lightest rain of all time - barely enough to be felt. No excuses for skill errors today IMHO.

BAM_BAM
3rd July 2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
He is a brownlow medalist and was getting beating by no names ( well no names to me).

no arguement there. I guess I was disappointed with the tone of the commentators all game. The fact that Schwatta was a Swan makes his job harder as to be credable he has to be seen as unbiased. It was just a totally emotional reaction on my part. Good on him for having the integrity to speak his mind though.

NMWBloods
3rd July 2004, 10:58 PM
I don't think it unreasonable to suggest that if Fevola played, Carlton might have won. Hardly a stellar effort against a side with their two key forwards out.

EMJ
3rd July 2004, 11:20 PM
ABC was a better commentary than the TV. They were complimentary to Swans especially the way they fought for the win.

NMWBloods
3rd July 2004, 11:35 PM
ABC were savage on the umpiring - bad for both sides, but possibly worse for Carlton.

liz
3rd July 2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't think it unreasonable to suggest that if Fevola played, Carlton might have won. Hardly a stellar effort against a side with their two key forwards out.

The world is full of "might havess". Davis "might have" kicked 5 goals from 50m out had he been in the team.

I actually thought Carlton did well in contested marks up forward even without Fevola and Whitnall. Deluca and Fisher took some very nice contested marks, while French played the best game I've ever seen him play.

NMWBloods
4th July 2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by lizz
The world is full of "might havess". Davis "might have" kicked 5 goals from 50m out had he been in the team.

Maybe so, but you still can't dismiss so lightly Carlton missing Fevola. How would we have done without Hall!

Dave
4th July 2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Wil

You obviously haven't heard Pagan's excuse then.
He also reckons we only won last week cause the Pies didn't have Tarrant.

Thunder Shaker
4th July 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Maybe so, but you still can't dismiss so lightly Carlton missing Fevola. How would we have done without Hall!
We haven't had our best defender all season, and in general have been harder hit by injury than most of the clubs we faced this year. For two opposition clubs to have their best forward out at the same time as we have our best defender out only balances things out.

In all fairness, we probably wouldn't have done very well against Carlton or Collingwood with Hall out, but then had we lost WE would be the ones making fair comments about how injuries to key players cost us the game. Almost half of our best side is either injured or lacking some match fitness after returning from injury. To be winning despite those setbacks is a blessing.

CureTheSane
4th July 2004, 11:29 AM
Depth.

If they don't have it, then they won't win.
Simple.

Everyone gets hit with injuries, and they have to be able to play through them.

I have commented on Roos in the past with his comments about unpires etc seeming to sound a bit like excuses, but at least we don't hear him saying "we were missing....."
And we don't want to.

Remember winning games without Plugger?
Damn, that was exciting.
Changed the whole setup of our side.
Instead of pumping it in looking for Lockett, players were all taking turns streaming down the ground and kicking for goals.
Totally stuffed the oppositions for a while.
We played through and did well.

Tooth Fairy
4th July 2004, 05:34 PM
I went for a quick walk around the block at one stage.

Hell its cold in Ballarat.
hehe and I sure aren't missing it! :D

j0lly
4th July 2004, 06:48 PM
im worried about adam goodes whether hes happy being in chb?

SXP
4th July 2004, 07:16 PM
I just watched the last quarter of the game over the internet and must admit that some of the mistakes some guys made didn't make me very happy (for example, J McVeigh, T Kennelly, P Bevan). In addition to that I'm questioning the role of the Goodes in CHB position. His body language spoke heaps about his state of mind at the moment.
I might be wrong in my assesment, but to be honest, their performance today (regradless of the win) doesn't fill me with confidence before their game against the Crows.