PDA

View Full Version : Schauble back, Tiger, Goodes forward

Go Swannies
8th July 2004, 01:11 PM
Interesting article in the 'tiser if it's not just something Roos is telling SA.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,10073130%255E25397,00.html

Schneidergirl
8th July 2004, 01:29 PM
Hmmm Tadgh to go forward? :confused:

Read an article on the Swans website about rushing Schuabs back, but putting Tadgh forward? He has had a few good goals, but is it really good to take him out of defence where he can run out?

footyhead
8th July 2004, 01:44 PM
One thing I must say about the adelaide press, they are a lot better than Sydney's - in fact I think they might be the best in the country when it comes to footy.

ugg
8th July 2004, 01:57 PM
I think Roosy's just foxing. I don't remember Tadhg spending a significant amount of time in the forward line for last week's game, he was always in the back 50 from memory. In fact it is more likely that Schauble will go forward as he searches for match fitness.

Charlie
8th July 2004, 02:14 PM
If Adam Goodes plays in the forward line on Saturday night, I'll scream.

Put him in the midfield. It's where he belongs!

midaro
8th July 2004, 03:31 PM
Tiger has always been destined for a Wing/Midfield rotation role, but I don't think we really need - or want - him forward.

Goodesy is still in knee limbo. I don't believe that anyone really knows where he'll end up playing, if he can't be a ruckman.

Schauble surely wont's be asked to play a full game at FB - who would he pick up anyway, given no Carey?

Foreign Legion
8th July 2004, 04:35 PM
If Tiger couldn't kick 30 goals+ a year from a Half forward flank I will eat my hat!

I have been saying he is a forward/winger - not a half back. He does provide good run but I don't think he is a naturally defensive player. I guess Roosy (and Eade) wanted him to learn the game in the backline.

Give him 3 weeks - I think he would never look back.

ugg
8th July 2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Tiger has always been destined for a Wing/Midfield rotation role, but I don't think we really need - or want - him forward.

Goodesy is still in knee limbo. I don't believe that anyone really knows where he'll end up playing, if he can't be a ruckman.

Schauble surely wont's be asked to play a full game at FB - who would he pick up anyway, given no Carey?

Tall forwards are likely to be Fergus Watts and Scott Stevens.

Thunder Shaker
8th July 2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Tall forwards are likely to be Fergus Watts and Scott Stevens. According to the AFL website, Stevens has been included in the Crows side (named in the bench), and Watts is named at CHF. I think Stevens will be out to have a good game against his old side.

Swans side is not on the AFL site yet.

penga
8th July 2004, 07:20 PM
its funny - theyve listed clarke in the forward pocket

the only purpose that clarke would fill in their forward line was to block the space for their forwards to lead into! :p

unless he has learnt how to crumb, coz he cant mark if his life depended on it

JF_Bay22_SCG
8th July 2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Foreign Legion
If Tiger couldn't kick 30 goals+ a year from a Half forward flank I will eat my hat!

I have been saying he is a forward/winger - not a half back. He does provide good run but I don't think he is a naturally defensive player. I guess Roosy (and Eade) wanted him to learn the game in the backline.

Give him 3 weeks - I think he would never look back.

I totally agree Paul. Look at that goal he kicked against Carlton. And the even better goal against the Pies, pure skill. I think Tadgh is at his best when he can run to goal. and has space to run into. On the wing he will have a fair amount of scope to do this, but he will also have to worry about what the other wingman is doing, something ol' Potatoes has trouble doing from time to time.

I like him on a half forward flank, especially in Davis's absence. I always love seeing Potatoes snap truely.

He is NOT and NEVER will be a defender. Why Eade used to put him in the back pocket is beyond me.

JF

PS:- Please Goodesy, not the forward line. (Couldn't imagine Schaubs would be fit enough to play a full match at CHB in any case.)

Foreign Legion
8th July 2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks Julian!

The player that he reminds me of the most is Peter Bedford - very skilled, smooth mover and can kick a goal. Not saying he is as good as Bedford but he is a similar mover, albeit a fair bit taller than "Wheels".

325 goals to Bedford - just checked on the web - I reckon Tadhg can get 1.5 a game easily.

Any other "old timers" agree with this?

Julian - check the spelling of his name - the Coodabeen Champions had a question about this and it got me!

NMWBloods
8th July 2004, 08:31 PM
I don't remember Bedford all that well, however I think (and have been saying for a while) that Kennelly would make a great wing, and could easily drop down forward and kick 1 goal per game.

Bleed Red Blood
8th July 2004, 08:35 PM
I'd much prefer Schuable up forward, than being played of the bench, disrupting the back-line set up.

Foreign Legion
8th July 2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
I'd much prefer Schuable up forward, than being played of the bench, disrupting the back-line set up.

I reckon your almost certain to get your wish BRB - I can't see him playing in the back line this week. I reckon he may play deep in the forward line for about 15 mins a qtr.

NMWBloods
8th July 2004, 09:49 PM
Seems the most sensible approach for his first game back.

stellation
8th July 2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Seems the most sensible approach for his first game back.

I'm on the "Schaubs back via forwards" bandwagon too.

liz
8th July 2004, 10:24 PM
Strange though it might seem, Kennelly doesn't play in the backline as a defensive weapon but as an offensive one. That's why he usually plays on the opposition's "weakest" forward.

Speed coming out of the backline is probably more important than anywhere else on the ground, apart from a bit of explosive speed needed from leading forwards. It is probably more valuable to have it there than through the midfield, even, because breaking through the lines can really set up play.

Yes, Kennelly may well score more goals further up the ground but there would be a negative effect on the team structure unless another player were able to perform his role. With Leo still required for more defensive missions at the moment, Kennelly is even more important.

I also question whether he yet reads the ball / game well enough to play on a HFF. It is one of the hardest positions to play I suspect because you can easily get cut out of the game. You have to work very hard to have a major influence there, which is why O'Keefe is doing so well in that position. And while Tadhg has good food speed, I don't think his endurance is up to the level required to play the kind of role that O'Keefe does.

Davis does play a HFF type role without that same level of fitness but he has the ability to kick goals from set shots from 50m+. Kennelly doesn't have that ability (or at least, has shown no evidence of it yet).