PDA

View Full Version : Teams

footyhead
8th July 2004, 08:38 PM
Jesus they haven't even named Mcglone as an emergency.
I am really pissed for this kid. My condolances Scooter - if you nominate for the draft and end up on some-one elses list I will not hold it againts you.

SYDNEY v ADELAIDE
Saturday, 7:15pm, SCG

SYDNEY
B: Crouch, C. Bolton, Bevan
HB: Barry, Goodes, Kennelly
C: Maxfield, Williams, Mathews
HF: O'Keefe, Hall, Ablett
F: Schneider, O'Loughlin, Nicks
FOLL: Ball, Kirk, J. Bolton
I/C: Doyle, Fixter, McVeigh, Schauble
EMG: Dempster, James, Thewlis
IN: Schauble
OUT: Roberts-Thompson

ADELAIDE
B: Torney, Bassett, Shirley
HB: Doughty, McGregor, Reilly
C: Mattner, Ricciuto, Jericho
HF: Johncock, Watts, McLeod
F: Clarke, Welsh, Skipworth
FOLL: Biglands, Stenglein, Edwards
I/C: Gallagher, Ben, Stevens, Bock
EMG: Massie, Burns, Hudson
IN: Gallagher, Stevens
OUT: Hentschel (ankle), Bode (ankle)

Bleed Red Blood
8th July 2004, 08:42 PM
Who's this "Ben" bloke named on Adelaide's bench?

Fixter still in the team, would of liked to see McGlone or Thewlis get a run, to at least let Fixxy have a huge game in the twos.

dendol
8th July 2004, 08:46 PM
who would you have dropped to bring McGlone into the side?

And surely players like Dempster, Thewlis and James, who have all shown some form in the reserves, deserve a chance to prove themselves at the top level before Scott since they have been on the list for longer. As much as I'd like to see him play, I dont fault Roos' selection policy at all.

Bleed Red Blood
8th July 2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by dendol

Fixter.

ugg
8th July 2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood
Fixter.

Why? He's shown quite a bit since coming back into the side. If McGlone was to have come in, I would have hoped McVeigh could get a good solid run in the reserves.

The Ben in the Crows team is Ben Rutten.

footyhead
8th July 2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by dendol

McVeigh, who for my money is looking a little too much like his brother (considering we got him at pick NO 5), and he definatley needs a run in the two's unless he is to become known as Roo's love child .
If you start promoting on merit and not form, then you have a problem Houston !

undy
8th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Hey f-head,

Do you know if McGlone has bulked up any, or is he still pretty lightweight ?

Good to see Schaubs back, the team getting some line-up consistency and still some selection pressure on them (from RWO at least). Being dropped from a losing team is one thing, but being dropped from a winning team really hurts.

chammond
8th July 2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by footyhead
If you start promoting on merit and not form, then you have a problem Houston !

I don't think it's Houston that has the problem.

Would you care to explain your pithy epigram?

gloveski
8th July 2004, 10:10 PM
Back to the drawing board Scooter if you are not good enough to be an emergency after back to back 40+ possesion games .
You had better get atleast 60 and kick all the teams goals and tag your opponent out of the game and keep him under 3 no make that 2 possesions:D

RogueSwan
8th July 2004, 10:11 PM
With James as a an emergency, are we going to see a last minute withdrawl of Schauble ala Fosdike and McVeigh last week?

robbieando
8th July 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
With James as a an emergency, are we going to see a last minute withdrawl of Schauble ala Fosdike and McVeigh last week?

I doubt it, considering he played last week.

CureTheSane
8th July 2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
Back to the drawing board Scooter if you are not good enough to be an emergency after back to back 40+ possesion games .
You had better get atleast 60 and kick all the teams goals and tag your opponent out of the game and keep him under 3 no make that 2 possesions:D

Tend to agree - from an outsiders POV.

But we don't know a few things.
Things like...
If he is doing what the club is requesting of him in those games.
If he is involved in some sort of long term development plan and is totally expecting not to be in the seniors at this stage. We want Roosey to stick to his development plan, perhaps this is a part of it?

ugg
8th July 2004, 11:16 PM
Adelaide have some height on the bench:

Bock 193cm
Stevens 192cm
Rutten 191cm

not to mention in the starting lineup

Clarke 200cm
Biglands 198cm
Watts 196cm
Jericho 189cm

So they definitely have the potential to stretch our defence.

Also, Stevens kicked 6.5 in the SANFL last week so he's in some sort of form.

liz
8th July 2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Adelaide have some height on the bench:

Bock 193cm
Stevens 192cm
Rutten 191cm

not to mention in the starting lineup

Clarke 200cm
Biglands 198cm
Watts 196cm
Jericho 189cm

So they definitely have the potential to stretch our defence.

Also, Stevens kicked 6.5 in the SANFL last week so he's in some sort of form.

Maybe we should hope it keeps on raining...

dendol
9th July 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by lizz

NOOOO..... firstly, I dont think we can beat any team in the rain, except maybe Freo. And secondly, I dont want to get wet on Sat night! :p

footyhead
9th July 2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Tend to agree - from an outsiders POV.

But we don't know a few things.
Things like...
If he is doing what the club is requesting of him in those games.
If he is involved in some sort of long term development plan and is totally expecting not to be in the seniors at this stage. We want Roosey to stick to his development plan, perhaps this is a part of it?

This is true....
It's just that I was impressed last year, I was impressed during the Nth Sydney ovel game (vs Essendon) and during that I saw Mcveigh tell him to piss off and get out of his(mcveighs) way at a ball up (fair enough I thought lets see how they both go) all day I saw Scooters number on the back of his jersey as the ball went flying from his boot as beautiful delivery to the forward line.
Then Mcv comes in this year - fair enough , he shows a bit, but he is no Hird (who incedntially started off with 20 + possesions), also he is no Beven (I know I know give the kid a chance!)
Well thats all I want for scotty Mc !
- so you see it is not just the 40 + possesions, I have been watching the kid for a while now - The 40 + possesions is just the cream on top of all those best BOG's - (and top 5's)
and unless he is defying the coaches on match day, or not following instructions then I just can't see whay they havn't given him a game or 2. I would be very suprised if he is not a touch bitter about the situation, I know I am ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mike_B
9th July 2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by RogueSwan

If it does keep on raining (which apparently it is forecast not to) and the ground ends up heavy, Schauble could be a late replacement. IMHO after that much hamstring trouble, the last thing you would want is for him to be coming back in only his 2nd game and playing on a heavy ground - a recipe for disaster.

stellation
9th July 2004, 11:28 AM
I realize that stats don't tell the story about everything but Jarrad isn't doing that badly if people keep comparing him to Paul considering his limited times. Can someone offer their respective average minutes?

Jarrad McVeigh
7.8 disposals
1.25 tackles
Kicked 5.3

Paul Bevan
11.35 disposals
1.85 tackles
Kicked 4.0

chammond
9th July 2004, 01:30 PM

Er, Liz . . . the Crows win 2 out of 3 when they play in the wet . . . the Swans win 1 out of 3 in the wet . . . fine and 20 degrees looks great to me!

liz
9th July 2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by chammond
Er, Liz . . . the Crows win 2 out of 3 when they play in the wet . . . the Swans win 1 out of 3 in the wet . . . fine and 20 degrees looks great to me!

Wasn't being entirely serious with my suggestion, Cliff, though it does frustrate me how consistently poorly the Swans seem to play in the wet, conditions that ought to favour a shorter team.

chammond
9th July 2004, 02:20 PM
Wasn't being entirely serious with my suggestion, Cliff, though it does frustrate me how consistently poorly the Swans seem to play in the wet, conditions that ought to favour a shorter team.

Yes, it's staggering that we win so few games in poor conditions.

It's certainly been my impression that ever since the team moved to Sydney, it has been hopeless in wet or windy conditions.

Must be because the perfect weather in Sydney gives them few opportunities to practice their wet weather skills?? :)

TheHood
9th July 2004, 02:43 PM

Reckon Leigh got it right when he said players are "nut cases". The great away win in the Gabba in 2003 was essentially a wet day and yet we played superbly.

Then we lose to Richmond in 2004 at home in the wet...bizzare!

Is it the opposition or the weather?

For the answer to that you might just need to be a reader of nuts!

penga
9th July 2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
The great away win in the Gabba in 2003 was essentially a wet day and yet we played superbly.

Then we lose to Richmond in 2004 at home in the wet...bizzare!

have a look at where each team comes from:

richmond - melbourne

brisbane - well brisbane of course :)

compare the weather in those two cities...

BAM_BAM
9th July 2004, 02:52 PM
This is true....
It's just that I was impressed last year, I was impressed during the Nth Sydney ovel game (vs Essendon) and during that I saw Mcveigh tell him to piss off and get out of his(mcveighs) way at a ball up (fair enough I thought lets see how they both go) all day I saw Scooters number on the back of his jersey as the ball went flying from his boot as beautiful delivery to the forward line.
Then Mcv comes in this year - fair enough , he shows a bit, but he is no Hird (who incedntially started off with 20 + possesions), also he is no Beven (I know I know give the kid a chance!)
Well thats all I want for scotty Mc !
- so you see it is not just the 40 + possesions, I have been watching the kid for a while now - The 40 + possesions is just the cream on top of all those best BOG's - (and top 5's)
and unless he is defying the coaches on match day, or not following instructions then I just can't see whay they havn't given him a game or 2. I would be very suprised if he is not a touch bitter about the situation, I know I am ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree with you completely Footyhead, however, we've just got think big picture and pray. I'll be there Saturday arvo screaming my lungs out for him.

ScottH
9th July 2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by penga

richmond - melbourne

I resent that!!! We have beautiful weather in Melbourne!!!!

I'll let you know the next time it happens!! ;)

sharp9
9th July 2004, 03:12 PM

richmond - melbourne

compare the weather in those two cities... It's much wetter in Brisbane than in Melbourne. It's much wetter in Sydney than in Melbourne. Is that what you meant?

Snowy
9th July 2004, 03:27 PM
The teams which prevail in wet conditions are usually those with stronger bodies and whose players are better one on one. Wet conditions don't suit a run on handball style of play either.

NMWBloods
9th July 2004, 03:51 PM

richmond - melbourne

But it's wetter in Sydney than either city, so we should get plenty of practice!!

Mark
9th July 2004, 03:56 PM
It pisses down all the time in Dublin, hope we never play them then !

floppinab
9th July 2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
But it's wetter in Sydney than either city, so we should get plenty of practice!!

Not during the winter (and this winter even less so)

NMWBloods
9th July 2004, 04:07 PM
Maybe not this winter, but in most winters yes:

Rainfall mm Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Sydney 100.4 110.6 121.7 106.4 98.1 123.0 69.3 80.8 62.2 72.9 82.0 74.9
Melbourne 45.7 40.7 38.7 46.6 45.6 40.6 36.9 47.2 50.7 58.6 60.1 49.1

sharp9
9th July 2004, 04:10 PM
In case you had any doubts about the accuracy of the "starting lineup" as printed in the paper, check out this quote from Roosey...

"I don't even put the team in myself, my IT (Information Technology) bloke does and he likes to have a bit of fun. They think they are coaches so we give them an opportunity to put a team in."

Dpw
9th July 2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
In case you had any doubts about the accuracy of the "starting lineup" as printed in the paper, check out this quote from Roosey...

"I don't even put the team in myself, my IT (Information Technology) bloke does and he likes to have a bit of fun. They think they are coaches so we give them an opportunity to put a team in."

Yes I do have a laugh when you see posts talking about players and why they are postioned on the team sheet and what that means.

footyhead
9th July 2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I agree with you completely Footyhead, however, we've just got think big picture and pray. I'll be there Saturday arvo screaming my lungs out for him.

Well that's all we can do Bam Bam, so give the boy a couple of really good verbal's for me will ya- ? make sure he hears the name 'Scooter ' a time or two, to if ya can.
@@@@@, I hope I am not over hyping the kid now - I think this might be the last thing I say about him !
But PS. Bam Bam , could you please take note of the reserves game (if indeed you do make it), and tell me what you think of who ever you notice , or who ever stands out for you ??
Cheers FH.

chammond
9th July 2004, 09:18 PM

Nah, they should send the Swans to train in Gippsland to toughen them up - see the following extract from a Gippsland Power (TAC Cup) news item:

"In a history making game at Morwell on Saturday, Gippsland Power look likely to win the four points after their game with the Sandringham Dragons was abandoned due to the incredible weather conditions. The match was called off 8 minutes into the third term after several players suffered hypothermia and more were struggling to cope with the conditions. Regional Managers Peter Francis and Wayne Oswald, after consultation with Football Victorias David Code, agreed that it was far too dangerous to continue the game"

http://gippslandpower.footballvictoria.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=29295

stellation
9th July 2004, 09:27 PM

Am I the only person not suprised that Nick would back up comments about rainfall with statistics?

liz
9th July 2004, 09:28 PM

But do you have stats to show how often it rains (as opposed to how much). I confess I have spent little time in Melbourne but whenever I am there it reminds me of Manchester, where I spent my university life - cold, grey skies and continual drizzle.

When it rains in Sydney it generally buckets down - it just doesn't do it all that often, especially during my 10 winters here.

9th July 2004, 09:40 PM
I got a book titled "How Statistics Lie". May be NWMBloods could find a copy in the local library. It has been few years and I could not recall of the authors but I am sure there are abundance of materials on this topic :) . Happy weekend reading.

BAM_BAM
9th July 2004, 11:44 PM
But PS. Bam Bam , could you please take note of the reserves game (if indeed you do make it), and tell me what you think of who ever you notice , or who ever stands out for you ??
Cheers FH.

will do Footyhead. Watch For my (Tina's) report of the ressies game. Am taking a newbie (not our newbie on here) this week, so hoping I'll get to report on the whole game, but will do my best, as always. :)

midaro
10th July 2004, 12:04 AM
But do you have stats to show how often it rains (as opposed to how much). I confess I have spent little time in Melbourne but whenever I am there it reminds me of Manchester, where I spent my university life - cold, grey skies and continual drizzle.

When it rains in Sydney it generally buckets down - it just doesn't do it all that often, especially during my 10 winters here.

I remember a list of 'cities with the "best" climate world wide' that was in the press a few years ago - Sydney ranked very high IIRC.

It stated exactly what you imply - that Sydney has more rainfall (mm) than Melbourne, but it rains on far fewer days each year. Furthermore, Sydney had, far, far more 'sunny' days.

Damien
10th July 2004, 12:20 AM
Melbourne and Hobart just drizzle a lot. Very annoying and miserable winters in both cities I have found.

Sydney has great winters, goes for ages without rain but when it decides to rain, it POURS! :D