PDA

View Full Version : Team Selection Revisited

sharpie
11th July 2004, 04:09 PM
I am worried we are carrying a few too many guys, McVeigh and Schneider in particular. Unfortunately McVeigh just isnt getting sufficient game time each week, I think he needs a run in the 2s. I can understand the argument to keep Schneider in the seniors, knowing that when fit he will be a vital aspect of our finals campaign. Perhaps you need to add to this list Ablett, who after a fine game last week dropped back to his previous level yesterday. But at least he deserves the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer.

At some stage you have to give the other up-and-comers a run to see if they can cut it at senior level, with half an eye on next season and beyond. There are a few guys down there who definitely deserve a run in the seniors, apart from the obvious McGlone. Thewlis got one game, Dempster is the perennial emergency, James is the forgotten man.

And what happens if Fosdike and Davis get back on the paddock. It seems they would come straight back into the seniors without a run in the 2s. Buchanan and possible LRT are both close to coming back as well, but I would think they would come back via the 2s.

Yes, it is a good dilemma to have from a coach's and team perspective, but for the individuals not getting a look in, it must be dispiriting.

gloveski
11th July 2004, 06:38 PM
Totally agree Mcveigh needs a couple of full games in the two's ,Schneids would benefit with a full game just to find touch again

TheHood
11th July 2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by gloveski
Totally agree Mcveigh needs a couple of full games in the two's ,Schneids would benefit with a full game just to find touch again

McVeigh won't get used to AFL level in the 2s.

I thought he did some super things from the middle, hitting Mick laces out was nice after a one handed pick up on the run.

The kid's got some talent to go with his athletecism. His game time will increase and come next year, we'll be thanking this experience in the seniors of 2004.

Nog had a quieter game but that's to be expected from young blokes.

Schneides is AFL material right now. I reckon he will excel next week...gut feel but he has the goods.

Barry Schneider
11th July 2004, 09:46 PM
I think McVeigh is looking good.He seems to have time to assess his options and his footskills look alright.
I suppose it will be a tight squeeze when Fosdike and Davis returns.The only benefit McVeigh will get by being dropped is to his fitness.

ScottH
11th July 2004, 09:55 PM
I agree with Barry, McVeigh was looking good. his ball handling was pretty good in the slippery conditions and his disposal has been good too.

stellation
11th July 2004, 10:08 PM
I want to see McVeigh stay in the firsts, I can't see he actually needs to go to the 2's for his fitness.

Charlie
11th July 2004, 10:16 PM
Would drop Schneider and Fixter before I dropped McVeigh... and I'm a Fixter fan!

Now... about Heath James... put him back in the side! I swear, the bloke had one poor quarter against a player like David Neitz, and five years of faith has disappeared.

I shudder to think what will happen if Graham turns up on Sunday. Too big and strong for C.Bolt, Leo will be busy with Kingsley and Schaubes may not be fit enough for either of them.

Go Swannies
11th July 2004, 10:20 PM
Hasn't Heath been injured?

stellation
11th July 2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Would drop Schneider and Fixter before I dropped McVeigh... and I'm a Fixter fan!

I was actually thinking that myself but was scared of posting it ;)

Originally posted by Charlie

Now... about Heath James... put him back in the side! I swear, the bloke had one poor quarter against a player like David Neitz, and five years of faith has disappeared.

Watching the way Schaubs started directing the defence the second he got on the field, how they all instantly stepped into line when they saw him there directing them around... how he was spoiling like he had played the last 14 weeks... I was just sitting there thinking "if we want Heath to be a defender get him out there with that guy now so he can learn!"...

sharpie
11th July 2004, 10:40 PM
In regards to Heath, I was thinking earlier that he could benefit from a run up forward while Davis is still out. Gives him some game time in the seniors, and he can always float down back if needed, similar to how Saddo was being played prior to doing his knee.

As for McVeigh, I agree, with the ball he looks very impressive. Its just that he is not getting enough game time. I think it may be a good idea to give this limited game time to another untried player for a game or two just to get the feel. Plus McVeigh could really show off his fitness by playing a full game in the 2s. The reason for this is how can you really make a valid assessment of a player until he is given seniors game time. At some stage guys like Dempster must get a run for this very purpose.

Having said all this, I am confident in Roos. If anything, I think he has just made sure he was fiedling the best possible side available (on paper, disregarding match fitness) in the last few weeks with an eye to the next month, when we need our best to take on the better teams. The likes of Schneider and Fixter will have benefitted enormously from their game time over the last few weeks.

Go Swannies
11th July 2004, 10:41 PM
Injury Update

AFL - Sydney Swans _ _ _Rnd 16

Player
Injury
Onset
Estimated Return

Amon Buchanan
hamstring strain
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Nic Fosdike
knee injury
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Nick Davis
ankle injury
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Lewis Roberts-Thomson
achilles tendonitis
Rnd 14
Rnd 18

Some choices to be made. And yes it was great to have Schaubs back as the backline general.

sharpie
11th July 2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Injury Update

Amon Buchanan
hamstring strain
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Nic Fosdike
knee injury
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Nick Davis
ankle injury
Rnd 12
Rnd 16

Buchanan definitely should play in the 2s until a spot comes available. Fosdike may be a straight swap for McVeigh. Davis probably finally deserves a run in the 2s after being forced to play seniors half-fit when we've lacked other forward options. Now that Magic is fully fit, we have the luxury of being able to ease him back. He may be a vital missing link for the finals.

Go Swannies
11th July 2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by sharpie
Buchanan definitely should play in the 2s until a spot comes available. Fosdike may be a straight swap for McVeigh. Davis probably finally deserves a run in the 2s after being forced to play seniors half-fit when we've lacked other forward options. Now that Magic is fully fit, we have the luxury of being able to ease him back. He may be a vital missing link for the finals.

Why would you drop McVeigh back? I'd drop Schneider on form before McVeigh. We don't have the luxury of not presenting our best team. Nicky D isn't the most physical player in any case and it'd be great to have another scoring option up forward so I'd put him in as soon as possible.

swansrule100
12th July 2004, 01:06 AM
its good to have these headaches

i think mcveigh has earnt a spot especially with fosdike out...buchanan will end up unlucky unless there are injuries.

Heath James to me deserves another go before LRT

sharpie
12th July 2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Why would you drop McVeigh back? I'd drop Schneider on form before McVeigh. We don't have the luxury of not presenting our best team. Nicky D isn't the most physical player in any case and it'd be great to have another scoring option up forward so I'd put him in as soon as possible.

I would drop McVeigh before Schneider. Schneider is without doubt in our best 18 when fit. Once match fit, he can be a proven match winner. The best way for him to get match fit is to continue playing in the seniors. I think Roosy has had him and fixter in the team over the last few weeks against the weaker sides so that against the stronger sides they are getting closer to the required match fitness and are ready to make an impact.

At this stage of McVeigh's career, he has not proven he is a match winner yet. He has plenty of time to make it, but against the top sides in the next month, we need our stars to be firing.

As for Davis, all season when he has come back from injury, he has been rushed back into the seniors because we lacked forward targets. Now that the majority of the guys are back and fit (especially Magic), there isnt the same necessity to rush Davis back into the side. I was just speculating that maybe he could be eased back via the ressies for a change.

Ruck'n'Roll
12th July 2004, 10:05 AM
I think the difference between Schauble and Schneiders comeback games should end the debate abaout whether players should comeback via the two's.
Even after two games off the bench in the seniors, Schneider still needs a run in the reserves!

Charlie
12th July 2004, 10:44 AM
Go Swannies - I'm not sure, but he's not listed with an injury now. Put him in the side.

This week:
OUT - Schneider
IN - James

None of the three players listed as ready should be brought straight back. After doing it twice with Nick, we should have learned our lesson. Monty was desperately unlucky, but he didn't establish himself so much that he walks straight back into the team. Fossie's form before he got injured doesn't warrant his immediate return.

The argument for Schneider as a top 18 player when fit doesn't hold up. He's not fit, and at the moment he's not in the best 22. Let him run around after the ball in Canberra for a week or two, pick up 35 touches each week and he'll get there.

Margie
12th July 2004, 11:04 AM
Good solid arguments, Charlie. Monty probably will come back through the 2's, but gee I like the look of him.

bricon
12th July 2004, 11:05 AM
Schneider looks like he really needs some time in the Magoos ? probably a couple of weeks. There is little point in trying to get him ?match fit? when he?s obviously so (aerobically) unfit; he?s so far out of touch that he?s currently a liability to the side.

dendol
12th July 2004, 11:23 AM
I think of the 3 players scheduled to come back this week, Fosdike will get a run at the expense of McVeigh. Fosdike was named for the Blues game but was later withdrawn with his current groin injury.

Davis is a tough call, simply because there is no one that deserves to be dropped. He is far too good to be played in the reserves, and the role he plays doesnt really require match fitness - he can be used on and off the bench and still bob up for a few goals. If anyone, Fixter will probably make way. I think Scheider should remain in the team. Hes already had 2 weeks in the seniors, and we should see the results of this in the coming weeks.