PDA

View Full Version : Paul Bevan and the Rising star

Damien
22nd July 2004, 04:25 PM
Anyone know if he is a big chance?

Up against guys like Richard Hadley, Guy Richards and Karl Norman....

I haven't watched as many games of other clubs as I usually do, but I would rate his chances.

I had Aaron Davey as the hands down winner, but it looks like he might be out for a while.

Thoughts?

DST
22nd July 2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Anyone know if he is a big chance?

Up against guys like Richard Hadley, Guy Richards and Karl Norman....

I haven't watched as many games of other clubs as I usually do, but I would rate his chances.

I had Aaron Davey as the hands down winner, but it looks like he might be out for a while.

Thoughts?

At this stage the clear winner is Jarrad Rivers from Melbourne.

Davey would probably be second in line, but his 6 week hamstring injury probably will rule him out. But remember the voting is not like the Brownlow where they vote every week but is based on a number of people voting their top 5 with the most firsts winning. So Davey will still have a strong chance.

As for Bevan, would be in the mix to jag a second or third spot but while he is courageous and hard at it, history shows that the award goes to the flashier type of ball magnets.

DST
:D

Charlie
22nd July 2004, 04:44 PM
Hmm... what star exactly is Karl Norman rising too??

Nico
22nd July 2004, 06:02 PM
In Melbourne where the decision is made the focus has squarely been on Davey. Rivers gets his mentions but the rave reviews are for Davey by far.

Thunder Shaker
22nd July 2004, 06:09 PM
Bevan will win the attention of enough judges to win votes. I expect Bevan to finish top three, but Davey is the standout this year. Davey was injured in R16, but even so, he has shown enough to be a likely winner. If he misses four weeks or less, he should win.

Has any player that was on the rookie list at the start of the season won the Rising Star award?

22nd July 2004, 06:49 PM
I think, when people get serious to vote for the award, they often look to the future too. Giving the award to one-year wonder does not add much credibility to the award. This should count on Bevan's favour, I think.

I doubt very much Davey will last long in the AFL. A serious hamstring injury for his playing style this early is not a good side.

caj23
22nd July 2004, 07:33 PM
I'm with you newbie, hamstring or no hamstring davey won't be in the afl long term - don't think he has a genuine chance of winning it

bevan for a top 6 finish

bigsteve99
22nd July 2004, 07:44 PM
I think bevan could be a chance depending how Rivers goes being the only hot shot newbie in the Melbourne line up, could change his frame of mind especially seeing how he will handle the spotlight.

big chance bevan is

monopoly19
22nd July 2004, 09:10 PM
I think Jared Rivers has it pretty well under his belt, with Davey probably coming second. You'd think Bevan would rank fairly highly, but not sure about top 3. I remember last year we all thought Schneider was going to finish relatively high on the list, and he struggled to get many votes! Being from Sydney will definately disadvantage Bevan.

liz
22nd July 2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by monopoly19
I think Jared Rivers has it pretty well under his belt, with Davey probably coming second. You'd think Bevan would rank fairly highly, but not sure about top 3. I remember last year we all thought Schneider was going to finish relatively high on the list, and he struggled to get many votes! Being from Sydney will definately disadvantage Bevan.

For consistency of contribution and for being an integral part of the team right from round 1, rather than floating in for the odd cameo, Bevan should probably be battling it out with Hadley for third place, behind the Melbourne pair. But I have little faith that the people who judge the award actually watch each game each week and no doubt one game wonders like Mackie and Walker will finish above Bevan because they are more "glamorous".

If Dermie is on the judging panel Bevan stands a chance of finishing where he should. Sadly I don't think he is.

swansrule100
22nd July 2004, 09:28 PM
bevan deserves to come close!!!

georgie1084
22nd July 2004, 09:31 PM
reilly is a good chance too....in a team with not much going for them, he seems to be standing out. But i dont think you can go past the davey train.

swansrule100
22nd July 2004, 09:35 PM
hey georgie baby i love ya

caj23
22nd July 2004, 09:37 PM
There is no way Davey will finish in the top 3

Rivers, Ebert, Hadley, Seaby and Bevan would all be a good chance to finish higher than him

swansrule100
22nd July 2004, 09:39 PM
seaby and ebert are a good chance!!!!! hows the voting work?

georgie1084
22nd July 2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100

i love you too....even if you are a manic swans supporter :P

caj23
22nd July 2004, 10:17 PM
Ebert won the mcgarey (sp) last year at the age of 18 and has been very good for PA this year. would swap him for bevan in a heartbeat

Whilst Seaby hasn't been as much of a standout he has had a consistent year rotating with Cox in the ruck and up forward for the eagles. just doesn't have the profile as he's from an interstate club

unsure what the voting is based on, each judge gives 3 votes (i think) for the year but it isn't on a game by game basis like the brownlow

Thunder Shaker
22nd July 2004, 10:35 PM
hows the voting work?
Each person allocates votes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 to five players
Highest total wins

ScottH
23rd July 2004, 07:34 AM
Ohhh, Plllllease!! ;)

ScottH
23rd July 2004, 07:36 AM
IMHO, like everyone else, I hope he polls well, and probably will, but I don't think he has been a big standout like previous winners.

cressakel
23rd July 2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by hemsleys
IMHO, like everyone else, I hope he polls well, and probably will, but I don't think he has been a big standout like previous winners.

Rivers will win the award by a continent - not a street, suburb, town, state or country, but a continent. He is that good.

Holding down CHB in a successful team shows the champion qualities he has at such a young age.

Watch him play - he is very Hirdesque in the way that he never loses his balance in contests, always has eyes for the ball, goes where others fear, never misses targets with hand and foot and makes the game look easy.

Fellow Swans fans would be drooling if we had him at CHB - which has been a major problem since Mark Bayes left !!

NMWBloods
23rd July 2004, 01:02 PM
I'd love to have him in our side, although he was pretty well towelled up by Riewoldt!!

ScottH
23rd July 2004, 01:49 PM
I can't say I have seen him (Rivers) play yet, but I am keen to see him now!!

Snowy
23rd July 2004, 02:01 PM
Rivers will win easily, Mackie has been struggling lately and it has been noted. Even Ebert plays a bit off the bench, for consistency Bevan in with a big chance to finish high up. Hadley is certainly a very good player who also doesn't get maximum game time because of the very good midfield of the Lions. Rivers is a great prospect though is feeling the pinch a bit at the moment, hence the resting.

cressakel
23rd July 2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I'd love to have him in our side, although he was pretty well towelled up by Riewoldt!!

As I was at the game and watching this contest closely, Riewoldt kicked six on Nicholson just after the start of the second half before Daniher finally moved Rivers onto Riewoldt after that. He kicked only three on Rivers in nearly a half of footy - although the ball hardly ever went into the Saints forward line in the last quarter !

Then again - who doesn't Riewoldt destroy every week ?! The guy averages 10 marks a game and only was playing deep in the forward due to lack of key forwards, hence the bag of goals he kicked.

NMWBloods
23rd July 2004, 02:35 PM
I was pretty sure Rivers went onto Riewoldt in the second quarter after he had kicked 4 (or maybe 5).

In any event, 3 goals in a half, particularly with limited opportunities, would still count as being towelled up.

Still, as you say, Riewoldt is a tough matchup.

cressakel
23rd July 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I was pretty sure Rivers went onto Riewoldt in the second quarter after he had kicked 4 (or maybe 5).

In any event, 3 goals in a half, particularly with limited opportunities, would still count as being towelled up.

Still, as you say, Riewoldt is a tough matchup.

I don't think it is towelled up, not compared to when Ablett kicked 8 on Silvagni one day and Silvagni got two votes and Ablett only got the one vote !!

NMWBloods
23rd July 2004, 04:38 PM
Umpires loved Silvagni and that was an unusual case.

BAM_BAM
23rd July 2004, 07:39 PM
forgive me if this has been posted, but I've been pretty busy lately and skimming the posts as quickly as I can to keep up. When do they actually announce the award? From memory last year was it just after rd 22?? All I remember was checking RWO every few minutes while pretending to be working.