PDA

View Full Version : Mathew Richardson

Nico
30th March 2003, 09:09 PM
I can't believe the coaching panel at Richmond.

Year in year out we hear the press and public arguing the fortunes of mathew Richardson.

Richmond have become so one dimensional. Richo runs all over the forward line as their only focal point. Ottens was not the answer last year as part of a 2 pronged attack, which was revered by the press.

Their fans bag him unmerciously, but what else can the poor bugger do. Sure his kicking for goal lets him down, but hell who else has a set shot for them to compare him next to. At least he gets it.

They have not developed any other forwards of note, and are suffering badly for it. They have recruited well in the midfield but have forgotten the forward line.

I have always seen him as a gun onballer. They say his stamina is suspect but he runs miles around the forward line, and besides if he was developed early as a ruckman he would have built that stamina required to become a gun ruckman.

If I recall correctly he played in the ruck for Victoria and absolutely blitzed them.

He would be unbeatable in the air and they could feed off him alah Scott Wynd of Footscray when he won the Brownlow. It would completely change their setup and how they play their matches.

I am but a humble spectator, but gee it stands out like dogs agots that they need to use their best asset better than they are.

Remember Graeme Teasdale was going to be the next great full forward. Didn't materialise, went into the ruck and won the Brownlow on two thirds of a seasons matches. Richo is a very similar type, but bigger and stronger.

Any thoughts.

Norris Lurker
30th March 2003, 10:36 PM
Richmond are a better team when Richardson's out injured.

CureTheSane
31st March 2003, 12:09 AM
Richo strted too well, and too many expectations were put on him.
He lost form and never got it back.
His kicking is disgraceful.
Whoever is his kicking coach should be shot.

Personally, IMO the best thing he could have done was change teams.
Probably still should, but he's getting on a bit now.
Sort of player that could have flourished with another club...

Charlie
31st March 2003, 08:37 AM
Quite simply, he ranks up there as one of the most wasted talents in the history of the game. He is best described as a brilliant hack.

Cheer Cheer
31st March 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Quite simply, he ranks up there as one of the most wasted talents in the history of the game. He is best described as a brilliant hack.

Fair call