PDA

View Full Version : Attendence Figures

westernswan
3rd August 2004, 01:18 AM
i must admit im a mad sydney fan who lives in wa and also follows the WAFL very passionatly i was just comparring our average crowds....if anyone has the time could u like please give e a list of the team names and ruffly the average home attendeses (also like do you have any big rivalrys)

stellation
3rd August 2004, 09:07 AM
The attendance figures for senior games tends to vary significantly depending on the number of children the players have.

parade old boy
3rd August 2004, 01:03 PM
I will take my dog this week, that adds 4 legs, what about the players that bring 2 girlfriends, those boys are good for the game

Troy G
3rd August 2004, 02:37 PM
They tend not do anything that might cause embarrassment to the SydneyAFL, like count attendence or inform the public on what took place at the local tribunal.

On another matter, I haven't had anything to do with the SydneyAFL for a couple of years now except give results/ladder/fixtures on my show, but even from this distance I'm hearing that all is not happy in Tigerland. Seems the players are likening Luffy's coaching as shall we say more Eade than Roos this season!

floppinab
3rd August 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Troy G
or inform the public on what took place at the local tribunal.

Funnily enough I was in at AFLNSW last week and noticed they were conducting a tribunal session in a meeting room while we were there. It looked incredibly informal, of course all those there were giving up time and the verdict was reached within a minute (he got off)!!! Nonetheless I was a bit surprised.

JF_Bay22_SCG
3rd August 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by parade old boy
I will take my dog this week, that adds 4 legs, what about the players that bring 2 girlfriends, those boys are good for the game

Parade Old Boy, are you an expat Norwood supporter by chance?

JF

Norris Lurker
3rd August 2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by westernswan
if anyone has the time could u like please give e a list of the team names and ruffly the average home attendeses (also like do you have any big rivalrys) In the premier division, there are 8 teams. In current ladder order:
North Shore - Bombers. Traditionally a strong club, and have played in the last 4 grand finals but only have 1 flag to show for them.
Uni NSW/Eastern Suburbs - Bulldogs. This club came into being in 2000 with a merger between East Sydney in the top division and UNSW in the SFA. The club fields teams in every competition, and won the premiership in the last 2 seasons.
Pennant Hills - Demons. Have been up and down the ladder, but have a record second to none in the Sydney comp for producing talented players.
St George - Crows. Used to be the Dragons, wearing red and white stripes, but after aligning themselves with Adelaide adopted the Crows strip.
East Coast Eagles. Used to be the Baulkham Hills Falcons, but like North Shore and St George have formed an alliance with an AFL club. They play at Macquarie University, and WAFL supporters would recognise former Sandover medallist Gus Seebeck as captain.
Balmain - Tigers. Coached by RWO legend Troy Luff, they play at the picturesque Drummoyne Oval. Have had success in the past, but the last couple of seasons have been ruined by injuries.
Western Suburbs - Magpies. Unlike other clubs, they don't have AFL-style jumpers, but instead have a dark brown jumper with a WSFC monogram. They were going to change their name to Sydney Magpies, and that name is on their scoreboard, but are still known officially as Western Suburbs.
Campbelltown - Kangaroos. Have gone through some name changes, previously having been the Blues and the Panthers. Have a great facility at Monarch Oval, and have dominated local football in the past, even playing in the ACTAFL for a few years in the 1990s; but are yet to win a game this season.

Attendances are too small to be worth counting; I could do a manual count at quarter time in any game, but I can't be bothered.

westernswan
3rd August 2004, 10:02 PM
thanks heaps for the brief overview on all the teams ....so in otherwords are yuo saying your crowds wouldnt even reach the 1000 mark................what attendence did u get in last years grand final

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th August 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by westernswan
thanks heaps for the brief overview on all the teams ....so in otherwords are yuo saying your crowds wouldnt even reach the 1000 mark................what attendence did u get in last years grand final

Mate, when we are talking SFL, think A Grade district football in WA.

I went to a Grand Final a few years back and a dog ran on the field in the 3rd quarter. Pete was talking to the umpires about being sick or something after a big night the night before.

Still all credit to guys like Teal who are volunteering their time and services in support of the game (in case at North Shore).

SFL is friends and relatives stuff I'm afraid. The Swans should do far more than they actually to promote the local stuff when they are away or playing at night.

JF

westernswan
4th August 2004, 01:40 AM
WOW that low...i mean for our A grade final we got like 4000 to that game and it was great atmosphere with singing and cheering from the warriors supporters, damn rugby league is brainwashing our youths into the other code........while im at it but GO PARRAMATTA>>>GET RID OF BRIAN SMITH

GoBloods
4th August 2004, 06:04 PM
why should the swans promote the sfl ?
why should the swans spend their own money on developing football in nsw . this is why we have the nsw/act football commission. it is their role to develop football in nsw. it is their role to promote the sfl.

weapon
4th August 2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods
why should the swans spend their own money on developing football in nsw . this is why we have the nsw/act football commission. it is their role to develop football in nsw. it is their role to promote the sfl.

Obviously your first question is a joke, cause you know the swannies rely on sfl players EVERY WEEK to fill their reserves team. we have one afl team here is sydney town, and it is so obvious to anyone with some footy clues that the team/club have a duty to promote the local comp. Many supporters in the sfl/sfa support the swans, and there have been some decent players come through the grade here in the sfl play afl...got a funny feeling the Saints skipper played at Penno?!

They do the bare minimum, and thats footy in the afl. Most clubs really only worryabout themselves, as its a cut throat business. Sfl has to run on its own, the nswact comm yes does need to get fairdinkum, cause there's lots of us who do give a damn. But a bit of community liasing(Tilt actually walking into a ground for starters) wouldn't hurt. 'nough finger pointing and support teh game we love.:eek:

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th August 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by GoBloods

How hard is it to have a link to the AFLNSW website and to give people score updates of the SFL?

How hard is it to promote the SFL a bit in the club newsletter?

Why not develop a culture of supporters of the game not just the Swans.

Or does that involve having people who actually love the game to be involved in our membership and marketing departments? The fact that that place is a revolving door of TAFE/uni course graduates who do their time and move on to " big better things" is part of the problem in the way the club is run. You are dealing with people who really deep down would never have watched a game of footy had it not been for the Swans.

I do NOT like dealing with people to whom you have to explain AFL footy culture. The only way this club will get anywhere is if you have people in there who live and breathe our footy club. Tony Morwood in Melbourne is such a person.

I seriously feel that there should be way more done to start getting Swans members to attend SFL matches. The Swans are AFL footy at the highest level. But the SFL is sadly the next best level we have for the game in Sydney.

How many Swans members could name 4 SFL sides? What percentage of members haven't even heard of the SFL's existence.

JF

stellation
4th August 2004, 09:49 PM
I agree that it is the responsibility of the NSW/ACT AFL to promote the game in the region, but the Swans should do more... This possibly would be at the request of the NSW/ACT AFL who, for all we know, may very well never ask the Swans to help with promoting the game.

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th August 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by stellation
I agree that it is the responsibility of the NSW/ACT AFL to promote the game in the region, but the Swans should do more... This possibly would be at the request of the NSW/ACT AFL who, for all we know, may very well never ask the Swans to help with promoting the game.

I would have thought that the SFL, Auskick and AFLNSW were peas of a pod and all intertwined with each other.

Obviously those in high places disagree.

JF

floppinab
5th August 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by weapon

They do the bare minimum, and thats footy in the afl. Most clubs really only worryabout themselves, as its a cut throat business. Sfl has to run on its own, the nswact comm yes does need to get fairdinkum, cause there's lots of us who do give a damn. But a bit of community liasing(Tilt actually walking into a ground for starters) wouldn't hurt. 'nough finger pointing and support teh game we love.:eek:

Amen to that. But to be fair to the Swans they probably do more than any other AFL club in the comp but Sydney being what it is, it will never be enough. The Swans have got a bad wrap due to their first 10 or so years up here where they did SFA and pretty much decimated the SFL at the same time. It's been catch up ever since.

How hard is it to have a link to the AFLNSW website and to give people score updates of the SFL?

It's there, right at the very very bottom of the Swans website but guess what you get, details on aflnsw elite programs, yadayadayada, and you have to look very hard again to see the sydneyafl link which finally gets you to the sfl.

I would have thought that the SFL, Auskick and AFLNSW were peas of a pod and all intertwined with each other.

You've nailed it there JF, links from SFL clubs down to juniors and schools range from excellent to non-existant. A genuine top to bottom structure should be setup to give the junior clubs better visibility of the SFL and vice versa, it's a reall mish mash at the moment. Junior clubs should be roped off and associated with senior clubs across the city, relationships need to be formed and most importantly kids see a non-elite pathway into senior teams and clubs.

j s
5th August 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
You've nailed it there JF, links from SFL clubs down to juniors and schools range from excellent to non-existant. A genuine top to bottom structure should be setup to give the junior clubs better visibility of the SFL and vice versa, it's a reall mish mash at the moment. Junior clubs should be roped off and associated with senior clubs across the city, relationships need to be formed and most importantly kids see a non-elite pathway into senior teams and clubs. Spot on Floppy!!

I know from personal experience that neither Northshore nor Manly attempt to have any meaningful relationship with the local junior clubs. Manly in particular could probably have had an u18 team if they had made a serious effort to retain the local U15/16 players. Regular joint training sessions would be one very easy way of giving continuity in the pathway.

The existing "elite player" programs benefit maybe 30 kids but has totally wiped out the previous Rep team system which allowed around 100 kids to get higher recognition.

AFLNSW is putting all its eggs to the AFL draft "basket".

Prince
5th August 2004, 04:33 PM
I must say through dealings with Simon Laughton at Sydney AFL he is doing a pretty good job. Lots of work to do....

Bring back the record though....

Jazzy Jeff and the fresh?