PDA

View Full Version : This week's barracking assignments...

midaro
6th August 2004, 03:56 PM
...to maximise the Swans finals potential.
Here are the results we want:

Fremantle vs Collingwood - Go Pies! I know it hurts for some of you.

St Kilda vs Adelaide - Adelaide. We want St Kida to finish third or lower, to make sure they have to play against Port/Brisbane (away) in the first week of the finals (to make sure we don't end up playing Port/Brisbane (away) in the second week ;) ).

Essendon vs Carlton - Carlton. Obviously.

Sydney Swans vs Kangaroos - Swans. Obviously.

Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Meh.

Brisbane Lions vs West Coast Eagles - Brisbane. To avoid non-MCG finals we want Brisbane to finish high, so they may as well eliminate West Coast from contention - once and for all.

Richmond vs Geelong - Richmond. May help keep us in mathematical contention for 5th ;)

Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port. We don't want Melbourne to win, for the same reason we don't want St. Kilda to win. See St Kilda vs Adelaide.

Bart
6th August 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by midaro

St Kilda vs Adelaide - Adelaide. We want St Kida to finish third or lower, to make sure they have to play against Port/Brisbane (away) in the first week of the finals (to make sure we don't end up playing Port/Brisbane (away) in the second week ;) ).

Essendon vs Carlton - Carlton. Obviously.

Sydney Swans vs Kangaroos - Swans. Obviously.

Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Meh.

Brisbane Lions vs West Coast Eagles - Brisbane. To avoid non-MCG finals we want Brisbane to finish high, so they may as well eliminate West Coast from contention - once and for all.

Richmond vs Geelong - Richmond. May help keep us in mathematical contention for 5th ;)

Port Adelaide vs Melbourne - Port. We don't want Melbourne to win, for the same reason we don't want St. Kilda to win. See St Kilda vs Adelaide.

I don't necessarily agree.

I would be happy if both Saints and Melbourne finish top, as this still ensure us a home final if we finish 6th.

sharpie
6th August 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Bart
I don't necessarily agree.

I would be happy if both Saints and Melbourne finish top, as this still ensure us a home final if we finish 6th.

That's only possible if we pass Freo on the ladder. Realistically I think that is not going to happen. It would require us to win 1 more than them, and win big, coz our percentage is a fair way behind. I think they will finish 6th, and us 7th (as long as we win games that we should win :o ).

But playing Freo at MCG is a pretty good prospect for us, I reckon.

Dpw
6th August 2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by sharpie

But playing Freo at MCG is a pretty good prospect for us, I reckon.

Only downside is Freo have the best traveling record of any side over the past two years, but yes I would rather play them at the MCG than at Subi

barry
6th August 2004, 06:03 PM
I dont really worry about the other games now.
As long as win at least half of the next few games, we will make the finals, and it doesnt really matter whether where between 5-8th.

I just hope we can continue on the sparolic form we have shown, and the finals suits us (home or MCG).

ScottH
6th August 2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
Only downside is Freo have the best traveling record of any side over the past two years, but yes I would rather play them at the MCG than at Subi I think Freo would crumble at the MCG in September. The couldn't cope @ home last year altho' I think they are a better team than last year.

Plus, being the selfish pig I am, I get to go to an MCG final!!! :p

RogueSwan
6th August 2004, 09:27 PM

I just tried a practice "carn the pies", my beer went flat, my baby cried and the dog ran out the bak with his tail between his legs

ScottH
6th August 2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
I just tried a practice "carn the pies", my beer went flat, my baby cried and the dog ran out the bak with his tail between his legs You're Lucky!!! My front teeth fell on the floor, and a gold jacket, hat and halfwit expression just appeared!!! :(

j s
6th August 2004, 10:22 PM
So far (early 2nd Q) it's working!! Well done guys!

cruiser
6th August 2004, 11:51 PM
.....Brisbane Lions vs West Coast Eagles - Brisbane. To avoid non-MCG finals we want Brisbane to finish high, so they may as well eliminate West Coast from contention - once and for all.

No, we want Melb teams to finish 1st and 2nd to improve our chance of a Sydney home final if we finish 5th or 6th.

NMWBloods
7th August 2004, 12:17 AM
Well... [spoiler below]

That worked out well for us.

However, interestingly Fremantle have won only 1 of their past 5 home games - and that was against us!! :mad:

midaro
7th August 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
No, we want Melb teams to finish 1st and 2nd to improve our chance of a Sydney home final if we finish 5th or 6th.
You know, until Collingwood beat Freo tonight, I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Now, its likely.

Geelong will play their final at the MCG, right?
So, we only need two Victorian teams to finish 1,2, 5, or 6 to get a home final (if we finish 5th or 6th), right?

robbieando
7th August 2004, 01:01 AM
So, we only need two Victorian teams to finish 1,2, 5, or 6 to get a home final (if we finish 5th or 6th), right?

Correct.

Simple when you look at it.

Bart
7th August 2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by robbieando
Correct.

Simple when you look at it.

Go Dees

BAM_BAM
7th August 2004, 08:53 AM
I watched most of the game last night. Usually I'll tune in for five minutes and can't handle it (Eddie) any longer. My thoughts at one stage were How the hell did they beat us?

Carn the Saints and Carn the Dees!!!

Mike_B
7th August 2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM
I watched most of the game last night. Usually I'll tune in for five minutes and can't handle it (Eddie) any longer. My thoughts at one stage were How the hell did they beat us?

After they kicked their 2nd goal, I could see we weren't up for it at all...we were crap that day. That's how they beat us, same way Richmond did in Rd 7.

cruiser
7th August 2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by BAM_BAM

And just in case, carn Geelong. 6th place is now quite obtainable by Sydney so long as we win at least 3 of our remaining 4 games and Freo drop at least one, preferably two more of theirs, which is quite possible due to the fact that their remaining games are all tough (Geelong away, West Coast derby and St Kilda away). They could lose all three :D I want that home final bad!

hammo
7th August 2004, 11:04 AM
6th is probably the best we can hope for. Even if the match is at the MCG I wouldn't mind and I don't think the players would mind either. After all it is September and the G is where you want to be playing.
If its against Freo all the better - it looks like they have a bad case of the Colliwobbles.

ROK Lobster
7th August 2004, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know where a home final would be? Assuming it is not MCG would it be SCG or TS?

I hope not TS - I wasn't at the PF last year but even against Cwood I thought it was pretty lifeless - not like the SCG last week and tonight

cruiser
7th August 2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Does anyone know where a home final would be?

A Sydney home final will be at Telstra Stadium. LOVE 70,000 people there and the atmosphere. Maybe it depends on where you are sitting. I just used the "Ladder Predictor" at www.afl.com.au and calculated Sydney finishing in 6th place, and with St Kilda finishing 2nd and Geelong 5th, a home final for Sydney against Essendon! Woo-hoo, bring it on. How good would it be to Sydney beat Essendon in front of 70,000 people!! I get goose bumps thinking about it.

ROK Lobster
7th August 2004, 11:17 AM
It would be brilliant - maybe it does depend where I sit. Be nice to beat the Bombers twice in a fortnight at Telstra. But I still prefer the atmosphere at the SCG, and I think it holds a bigger advantage for us

liz
7th August 2004, 11:30 AM
TS is the only place we've beaten the Bombers in the last zillion years!

ROK Lobster
7th August 2004, 11:49 AM
I think that that has had more to do with the quality of the two teams over past zillion years than with the venue

midaro
7th August 2004, 05:46 PM
CARLTON V ESSENDON SPOILER

Carlton did their part!

NMWBloods
7th August 2004, 05:49 PM
Everyone is doing the right thing by us - now can we do our part!!

Note also - Collingwood can actually still make finals!! :frown

midaro
7th August 2004, 05:53 PM
This round has opened up positions 6 to 10 (even 12) like I wouldn't have thought possible.

We must win tonight.