PDA

View Full Version : AFL in turmoil as all players reported

Skells
2nd April 2003, 05:46 PM
AFL in turmoil as all players reported
by STAFF REPORTERS

The AFL was an elite level sporting organisation in disarray today after the League charged all players who played in round 1 with the serious offence of making contact with an umpire.

Every one of the 352 players who took part in the opening round of the season was charged after umpires and AFL officials watched videos of the weekend matches.

?It was blatant and it was brazen,? said a League official. ?Player after player grabbed one or more of the umpires by the hand, and shook them vigorously. Some even slapped them with an open hand on the back or shoulder region.

?And they couldn?t claim it was done in the heat of the moment, because most of these disgraceful incidents happened just after the national anthem, and well before the games had even started.

"I was astonished by how brazenly some of the players attacked the men in white. I swear I saw some of them smiling and one winked at his victim as he made contact with his back."

?It is particularly disappointing that we should have to report so many players for this offence on exactly the same weekend that we were hoping to encourage a greater sense of respect for umpires in the game. I just can?t understand what they were thinking.?

The official said all coaches would also be charged with similar offences, and would likely face hefty fines or lengthy bans.

(Another good article from the Bladder)

Charlie
2nd April 2003, 06:50 PM
Very clever!!!