PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Fatal League

Troy G
24th August 2004, 08:10 PM
The SydneyAFL site says that a key priority adopted by the board is the return of the Swans Reserves.

Have they told the Swans Ressies that?

Let's see now, we had the Redbacks- not the Reserves- but they won by too much, so we had them playing with one less against Sydney clubs.

This was back when the SFL was stronger overall then it is now and we had games with local clubs at the SCG, heaven forbid!

Then it was decided that we'd cull or shear the Rams to top up the Swans Reserves who wanted with NSWAFL blessing to play in Canberra and Wagga, because they needed better competition and Sydney grounds=injuries.

Now the NSWAFL has set a key priority as the return of the Swans Reserves.

Based on what, the whole time they've been away we've only seen a changing of the deckchairs. Not better grounds, they still cause injury, when you can get on one and the councils haven't shut the gate!

Not a better standard, the best players produced still go to Rams or interstate to some camp as soon as they show any talent.

So much for the forward thinking, planning and recommendations of that much paid for and much trumpeted Task Force Report of some years ago now.

Yes, let's bring the Swans home (again) and the local clubs back to the SCG (again) why not, after all so much has changed.

Whatever happens...I hope and pray that they keep those "Celebrate Canberra" days at the SCG! I think they've become part of the Sydney football fabric, almost embraced as much by the public as the Phelan Medal.

And they've also decided believe it or not to expand the Sydney AFL.

The inmates are truly running the asylum.

Rowdy#8
25th August 2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Troy G

And they've also decided believe it or not to expand the Sydney AFL.

If this plan was to be actioned, where do you think the expansion teams would come from - through bolstering some SFA (sorry, Div 1) teams such as Wollongong or Sydney Uni, or expanding the Sydney boundaries to include maybe Newcastle/Central Coast region ?

Norris Lurker
25th August 2004, 09:04 AM
If the Redbacks were to come back into the premier division that would create 9 teams, so I guess they'd be looking for another team so they wouldn't have a bye.
Sydney Uni have been the dominant team in first division this year, but they don't have an under 18s team.

DLH
27th August 2004, 11:19 AM
The three areas they have looked at in the recent past were Wollongong, Newcastle and Penrith. They're pretty keen to get a team into that greater western suburbs corridor where there is such a huge population, however, Penrith just don't seem to be able to get their act together. Perhaps it might be Parramatta who put their hand up.

I'd be amazed if Sydney Uni move back up, despite their great record in recent times. Yet another inner city club is hardly beneficial for the future of football in Sydney.