PDA

View Full Version : North Shore boys play this great ol' game!

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th September 2004, 07:28 PM
Went to the SFL Grand Final today. Was a really enjoyable day watching the grass roots of the game at an oval that has great potential as an AFL-friendly facility.

The standard wasn't too bad, but you sure noticed how much further Frosty booted it than most of the other players. Thought St George were going to make a game of it in the 2nd quarter when they hit the front. But with the breeze lifting quite a bit, North Shore hit the Crows with a brace of goals. The wind died in the last quarter, but just like on Friday night with us the Crows struggled with the footy across half forward. The Scarlett-lookalike Underwood who showed such promise in the 2nd quarter went missing, hence the Crows couldn'ty buy a goal.

There was heaps of great banter from some of the players in the crowd. A group of Penno boys were giving it to Jarrod Crosby all day. But the latter had the last laugh.

Spent the last quarter on the outer side with the North Shore 'cheer squad' consisting of very pissed reserves premiership players and supporters. One guy was banging a bin to get the Cheers going. In the loast quarter they broke into "see the Bombers fly up" before one guy proceeded to break a seat.

The thing that got my attention was the venue for the match, Henson Park. Sure it is bit delapidated, but the venue is a perfect arena for AFL footy. The surface on the grandstand side was pretty uneven, but I feel AFLNSW should see if they could develop the facility. It has sloping hills around it and with a bit of a spruce-up, would be the perfect venue for an AFL practice match. I'd be more than happy to see an Wizard Cup match played there if they could look at fixing the playing surface. It could easily hold 15000.

It is great that the oval on Sydney Park Rd has been done up for AFL footy. But had the grandstand been built at Henson, you would easily have a near-AFL standard facility, complete with lights and everything.

Still a good day at the footy. Well worth the $5 to go and watch it.

JF

gossipcom
13th September 2004, 11:07 AM
Well that sums up a crappy weekend of sport for me - it was the last thing to make it a bit brighter but nope :(

Congrats to North Shore though they were the best team all year.

Who won the Under 18's?

JF_Bay22_SCG
13th September 2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by gossipcom
Well that sums up a crappy weekend of sport for me - it was the last thing to make it a bit brighter but nope :(

Congrats to North Shore though they were the best team all year.

Who won the Under 18's?

St George by a point over Penno from memory. Teal said they kicked 5 goals in the last term and won it with the last kick of the day.

JF

Troy G
13th September 2004, 01:44 PM
How completely embarrassing that when the U18's won they played complete with lyric, " The Pride of South Australia...Adelaide Crows etc" and again when their seniors ran out!

Surely the NSWAFL had long enough to find -or even record with some musicians- an instrumental version!

Would have been even funnier if St George won and they played it two more times.

Least North Shore's just refers to Bombers and not Essendon.

gossipcom
13th September 2004, 04:47 PM
Thanks for that info JF :)

At least we can celebrate one win this year <g>

chammond
13th September 2004, 07:43 PM
NL's report (with lots of pics) on the final day of Sydney Afl is at

http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?id=455_0_3_0_C

Norris Lurker
13th September 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Troy G
How completely embarrassing that when the U18's won they played complete with lyric, " The Pride of South Australia...Adelaide Crows etc" and again when their seniors ran out! After hearing "Who let the dogs out" for the last couple of seasons, at least it was football-related.

jude_boltons_babe
14th September 2004, 01:59 AM
well done on winning the grand final in all 3 grades cant wait to next year

in_the_outer
14th September 2004, 10:07 AM
Jude_Bolton_Babes,

Do you read this website or just post meaningless replies. No where in any report does it say that Nth Shore won all 3 grades. In fact if you did read NL's fantastic report you would have read that St George won the 18's Grand Final (in what was a sensational game of footy). Nth Shores 18's didn't even make the finals.

Jacks
14th September 2004, 01:00 PM
Just a quick one to say that N.L. has done a great job this year with his reports by providing a balanced and unbiased look at at least one game every week.
It is great to see the reports each week and I certainly hope that you continue to provide quality reports next year.
It is great to see that there are people in Sydney that are committed to promoting the local league including yourself and the team from Digital Sports and hopefully with the continued support of the league and possibly some extra assistance from the new head Honcho the league can continue to improve both on and off the field.

JF_Bay22_SCG
14th September 2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by in_the_outer
Jude_Bolton_Babes,

Do you read this website or just post meaningless replies. No where in any report does it say that Nth Shore won all 3 grades.

ROTF.

Some people don't get it, do they? :rolleyes:

JF

Captain
14th September 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by in_the_outer
Jude_Bolton_Babes,

Do you read this website or just post meaningless replies. No where in any report does it say that Nth Shore won all 3 grades. In fact if you did read NL's fantastic report you would have read that St George won the 18's Grand Final (in what was a sensational game of footy). Nth Shores 18's didn't even make the finals.

Brilliant:D

Wil
14th September 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG

Still a good day at the footy. Well worth the $5 to go and watch it.

I should of thought about going. I went to school with Ben Scheidow and played (rucked) against him and Matty Parker in the younger grades many years ago. I did get to play a few games for the North Shore reserves but only to make up the numbers. How did they go?

Didn't Stefan Carey play for North Shore as well? Where is he up to now?

benny_w
14th September 2004, 05:42 PM
No Stefan Carey was drafted by sydney from penno and his brothers played there as well.

Rod
14th September 2004, 11:42 PM
Good on you NL. Was great reading the Sydney AFL update each week. Hopefully it's back next year.

shearer
15th September 2004, 10:17 AM
Troy G, disappointed that all you can come up with is that the St George Crows used teh Adelaide song.

No mention on what a great atmosphere the day at Henson had???
How the SFL has finally got a great finals venue?
What a sensational game the u/18's was?
The senior game was also a good one for 3 quarters but no, you
want to have a pot shot at the league about a song.

Troy G
15th September 2004, 07:20 PM
Shearer,
I knew all that positive stuff would be covered in various reports on the game.

So I thought I'd point out something extra for the knowledge of those that weren't there.

The question is Shearer, do you agree with me or not?

And yes I'm not afraid to give a brickbat because if these things aren't pointed out then they are never fixed up.

It was cringeworthy stuff, the nearby houses must have thought it was a rep game!

Something tells me though, it won't make any difference! So you don't have anything to worry about... so there's your positive angle!

jude_boltons_babe
16th September 2004, 02:30 AM
ive had things on my mind ok i knew that stgeorge beat pennant hills and north shore won seniors and reserves

shearer
16th September 2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks Troy G..when the siren went at the end of the 18's game they could of played baa baa black sheep and i wouldnt of given a stuff.

I understand your point, but i know noone associated with the Crows took offence. We had bigger things to worry about.

Troy G
16th September 2004, 06:32 PM
Maybe the Black Crows!

GoBloods
24th September 2004, 05:31 PM
what a good day out ..norths were deserved winners. i still cant get my head around calling saints the crows but..henson park is a good little venue and hopefully the sfl will continue to use it .maybe next year for home and away games as well as finals..it would be good to see the nswafl approach the swans about playing a practice match there in the near future

Doctor
9th October 2004, 12:26 AM
I was there too actually. I really enjoyed the game and, while being disappointed with the result, felt that the better team won. Henson Park was an excellent venue for footy and would happily go there again. Not as much run on the ball when it hit the ground, but that may have been to do with the win as much as anything.

I only wish the sausage I bought had been cooked better. I well and truly paid for that the next couple of days...

Sid
9th October 2004, 11:35 AM
Did north shore suffer back to back losses as a result of the mighty dogs? Must be a relief that they finally got it.

Norris Lurker
10th October 2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Sid
Did north shore suffer back to back losses as a result of the mighty dogs? Must be a relief that they finally got it. Yes. In 2002 the Bulldogs were minor premiers but North Shore beat them in the major semi. On grand final day UNSW-ES led by a kick at the last change but ran away in the last quarter to win easily.
In 2003, North Shore were the hottest of favourites; but despite missing some easy shots early on were in front at half-time. The Bulldogs then rallied to hit the front in the third term, and the final quarter was a cliff-hanger. Scores were level deep in time-on in the last before Cameron Templeton took a speckie and goaled to give UNSW-ES the premiership.
So, as Sid mentioned, it was a huge relief for North Shore to win this time. There were a few worried faces when St George were in front at half-time, but the Bombers were able to kick away in the third.
St George also breathed a sigh of relief that they were able to make it this time. They've made the finals for several years in a row, but hadn't been able to make it to the grand final. They made it this year and put up a great fight - and will be looking to go one better in 2005.

peterh_oz
11th October 2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Doctor
I only wish the sausage I bought had been cooked better. I well and truly paid for that the next couple of days...

Did u go see a doctor? Or just look in the mirror, take an asprin, and see yourself in the morning? :p

Coudn't resist! Can't u tell its the off-season?!?!?!?!?!