PDA

View Full Version : Get Crawford

colliwobbles
14th September 2004, 10:06 PM
If I were Sydney, I would make Shane Crawford a prioriety for 2005, there is no doubt that he is unhappy with all of the rubbish that has been going on at the Hawks, remember these things that directly affected Crawf.

When the coach was sacked, Crawford and the players heard about it over the radio. Crawford (rightly) stated that it would have been nice if the captain and the players had been informed prior to a public announcement.

- Crawford was repremanded by the club for his comments.

- His TV program was aired and again the club wasn't happy.

- He has resigned as captain.

Sydney should move heaven and earth to try to gain this elite footballers services. He was playing super footy prior to breaking his arm, and it is only a break, not an injury that should effect him and his footballing future.

Matt79
14th September 2004, 10:09 PM
I am not doubting Shane Crawford's ability but I would argue at the age of 30 he is not worth the risk of MAYBE getting 1 or 2 good seasons out of him. If he was 28 yes, but not 30.

We need to look for someone a little younger.

robbieando
14th September 2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by colliwobbles
He was playing super footy prior to breaking his arm, and it is only a break, not an injury that should effect him and his footballing future.

but then you move onto his long term back injury and that has more of an effect on whether the Swans go after him or not.

sfan
14th September 2004, 10:14 PM
If he wants to come north that bad put him on a performance contract.

colliwobbles
14th September 2004, 10:17 PM
I take your point, but the Swans are within 2 years of being able to win a Grand Final. But in 3 or 4 years, Hall, Goodes, Williams etc.etc. might be finished, and then they are sitting 8th, to 12th on the ladder again and the opportunity to win a flag is again 6 years away when that happens.

This side has what it takes to win a flag now, but when you lose Williams by half time they're gone.

When Brisbane lose Black by half time, they have Lappin, then they have Voss or Akka and on it goes.

Sydney are too thin where it counts, and there is only a 2 to 3 year window off opportunity to win a flag before it's back to the rebuilding program.

Even Brisbane won't be able to stay up forever.

cruiser
14th September 2004, 10:30 PM
Even Brisbane won't be able to stay up forever.

I'm beginning worry they might.:frown

NMWBloods
14th September 2004, 10:47 PM
I take your point, but the Swans are within 2 years of being able to win a Grand Final. But in 3 or 4 years, Hall, Goodes, Williams etc.etc. might be finished, and then they are sitting 8th, to 12th on the ladder again and the opportunity to win a flag is again 6 years away when that happens.

This is my worry.

midaro
14th September 2004, 11:02 PM
I don't think we have the talent to win the flag in the next 2-3 years - even with Crawford.

Not against Brisbane, Port Adelaide and St. Kilda.

Nolie
14th September 2004, 11:05 PM
He has got too many media committments/desires to move out of Melbourne.

Don't garee with chasing him. Is too old - best behind him. (But then again Roo's had a stellar year in 1996 and I think he was 34 odd)

Schneiderman
15th September 2004, 12:00 AM
Get two of:
Crawford
Bruce
M McVeigh
McGough

Get one of:
Simmonds
Biglands
Koschitzke

Trade aggressively, especially with players who are currently fringe, or show promise but are only ever used in burst roles:
Fixter
Buchanan
Powell
Saddington
OKeefe
Fosdike
Matthews
Nicks
James
Rogers
Ablett
... etc

Mattyt
15th September 2004, 12:25 AM
Is Kosi out of contract though?

Schneiderman
15th September 2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Mattyt
Is Kosi out of contract though?

Doesn't matter... trade hard for him if you can. Even if you dont get him, you have to try. I too doubt they'd let him go.

Also, I forgot about Ray Hall.

Mattyt
15th September 2004, 12:38 AM
I'd be better then Ray Hall, and I'm 178 cm and weigh 70 kg.

There's no way we could nick Kosi as one of the Saints prized No.1 picks. Although he would add so, so, so much to our team.

Mattyt
15th September 2004, 12:43 AM
And what about Hadley from the Lions, his contract is up, and he's going to be an absoloute gun.

dimelb
15th September 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Get two of:
Crawford
Bruce
M McVeigh
McGough

Get one of:
Simmonds
Biglands
Koschitzke

Trade aggressively, especially with players who are currently fringe, or show promise but are only ever used in burst roles:
Fixter
Buchanan
Powell
Saddington
OKeefe
Fosdike
Matthews
Nicks
James
Rogers
Ablett
... etc

They can have Matthews (whoever he is) but they can't have O'Keefe or Mathews

midaro
15th September 2004, 02:24 AM
Also, I forgot about Ray Hall.
That was a good thing ;)

swansrule100
15th September 2004, 03:52 PM
Get two of:
Crawford
Bruce
M McVeigh
McGough

Get one of:
Simmonds
Biglands
Koschitzke

Fixter
Buchanan
Powell
Saddington
OKeefe
Fosdike
Matthews
Nicks
James
Rogers
Ablett
... etc

how many other teams are interested in our players though?

midaro
15th September 2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100

There it is. That is the crux of the matter.

How can we possibly turn Pick 15, Pick 31, Saddington and Fosdike into Bruce or Ottens or Bradshaw or anyone actually worth going after?

We can't.

This is what has me so interested in Roos' 'agressive trading' comment. IMO someone very high profile is going to have to find himself on the trade table, or nothing much is going to eventuate.

swansrule100
15th September 2004, 05:30 PM
i would think of lot of our players arent rated that highly at other clubs
we arent seen to have any stars and so on

boroboy
15th September 2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by midaro
There it is. That is the crux of the matter.
How can we possibly turn Pick 15, Pick 31, Saddington and Fosdike into Bruce or Ottens or Bradshaw or anyone actually worth going after?We can't.This is what has me so interested in Roos' 'agressive trading' comment. IMO someone very high profile is going to have to find himself on the trade table, or nothing much is going to eventuate.

You're right - so the question is 'who is the club not prepared to trade under any circumstances?'.

Barry Hall is the only one safe for me. Everyone else has their price - any other player at the Swans would be exchanged for a Riweoldt or Judd (but of course that's not going to happen).

There'll be at least one of our top shelf players leaving if Roos does what he says - and my guess is it will be from the forward line, or a midfielder that has one eye on a return to Melbourne....

dendol
15th September 2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100

I think you may be underestimating our players. Teams that are rebuilding with a new coach - and there are at least 3 doing cleanouts this year - will be looking for fresh faces to pick up. We have alot of small hard running players who can perhaps compliment a new midfield, so dont be surprised if we lose a few guys at trade time.