PDA

View Full Version : Cressa pining for Sydney?

Dave
18th September 2004, 10:17 AM
Although it's probably just wishful thinking -

In the SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/17/1095394012389.html?from=moreStories

While he did not get the Hawthorn job, Cresswell says the experience of making a presentation to the Hawthorn subcommittee was valuable and he makes no secret of his ambitions. "I'm just waiting for Roosy to get the sack so I can come back to Sydney," he says, tongue-in-cheek.

If the Cats can do tonight what the Swans could not last year and upset the Lions, a small slice of the credit will go to Cresswell, and his profile will be enhanced.

"To be honest, I'd be happy staying here for a while because it's exciting being part of something with a young team," he says. "But we'll see what comes up after that."

Come back, Cressa!

swansrule100
18th September 2004, 01:32 PM
if roosy goes in the next 5 years cressa be the next coach of the swans just about

but hopefully roos is staying put for a few premierships

Barry Schneider
18th September 2004, 02:46 PM
After Hawthorn interviewed him for the job I reckon Creswell sees his next job as a senior coach so he is probably right intimating the only way he would return to Sydney would be as the senior coach.

Matt79
18th September 2004, 04:53 PM
Roos is looking for an "Experienced" midfielder. I reckon Cressa fills that criteria! :D

Tilt
20th September 2004, 01:45 PM
God, Cresswell as coach..........At least we would end up getting priority draft picks I suppose.

Barry Schneider
20th September 2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tilt
God, Cresswell as coach..........At least we would end up getting priority draft picks I suppose.

What do you base that on?He did a good job looking after Geelong's midfield and was probably as smart as any footballer going around as he needed to make up for a lack of speed and natural ability.

Jimmy C
20th September 2004, 03:08 PM
Maybe a good option as midfield coach?

ROK Lobster
20th September 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
Maybe a good option as midfield coach?
Why did he go to Geelong and Lyons come here? Was the Sydney appointment made before Cressa decided to retire? Would it have been thought that he was too close to the playing group? Does anyone KNOW? (of course idle speculation is welcome)

robbieando
20th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Why did he go to Geelong and Lyons come here? Was the Sydney appointment made before Cressa decided to retire? Would it have been thought that he was too close to the playing group? Does anyone KNOW? (of course idle speculation is welcome)

I wish people would stop with the why Lyon over Cressa. Fact is Cressa didn't even apply for the spare coaching spot at the Swans. He wanted to gain expirence under as many different coaches and therefore styles as possible so when he becomes a senior coach down the track he'll be a more rounded coach and not one who copy's what he learnt at the Swans. Also he himself felt he would be too close to most of the players at the Swans.

The Swans never had the option of picking between Lyon and Cressa. Lyon was appointed because Roos wanted him on the coaching staff because he was a good friend and he did a good job at Carlton before the bottom fell in.

ROK Lobster
20th September 2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Robbieando.

I knew Lyons and Roos had played together. I also think that it would have been very unusual for Cresswell to pick up a job at the Swans straight after retiring. I was just wondering if anyone knew what had unfolded - if Cressa had wanted the job, if the Swans had wanted him etc. For what it is worth I would not have clue what sort of a job Lyons is doing. It would seem though that Cresswell has got a good reputation for himself in a short time. Good to see him doing well.

Bart
20th September 2004, 05:17 PM
BTW love your avatar ROK Lobster. Would look great on a Tshirt standing in the middle of the Collingwood cheer squad

ROK Lobster
20th September 2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Bart
BTW love your avatar ROK Lobster. Would look great on a Tshirt standing in the middle of the Collingwood cheer squad
Thankyou very much. I'm thinking of a "Stories behind the Avatar thread" when things get really quiet around Nov.

As for the T-shirt idea. I can see it now - pie stains, then, beer stains, then, blood stains, then, a man with no shirt at all running from 100 angry bogans...

Bart
20th September 2004, 05:29 PM
Thankyou very much. I'm thinking of a "Stories behind the Avatar thread" when things get really quiet around Nov.

As for the T-shirt idea. I can see it now - pie stains, then, beer stains, then, blood stains, then, a man with no shirt at all running from 100 angry bogans...

Even better idea. Get the shot blown up and placed on the Banner the next time we play the Pies.....IN MELBOURNE !

Damien
20th September 2004, 05:34 PM
I am still trying to work out what Bart's avatar means? ;) :D

ROK Lobster
20th September 2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Damien
I am still trying to work out what Bart's avatar means? ;) :D
Looks like it's time for that thread already. Wild Miscellany or is it RWOish enough to go in here? Regardless, I don't think it belongs in this thread

Damien
20th September 2004, 05:38 PM
Looks like it's time for that thread already. Wild Miscellany or is it RWOish enough to go in here? Regardless, I don't think it belongs in this thread

Relax ROK'!