PDA

View Full Version : Former Swan starts all-in brawl in Cairns GF

Rafters
20th September 2004, 10:35 AM
Former Sydney Swan leading goalkicker Jason Love, in his role as coach of North Cairns Tigers, started an all-in brawl after the national anthem on Saturday in the Cairns AFL Grand Final.

In disgraceful scenes numbers of team officials and supporters were also involved which led to 2 Port Douglas players unable to start the game.

Definitely revived memoeries of 1987 and 1991 Sydney GFs for me.

The umps unsure what to do just started the game without the siren going off ... which actually stopped things!

Such a pity ... because the competition is actually of pretty good standard. I guess on the positive side of the things, the mighty Cairns City Cobras will probably win a few games early in the season next year because of suspension.

For the record, North Cairns won the GF by about 50 points ... reversing a 65 point loss in the Major Semi.

shearer
20th September 2004, 03:13 PM
I saw the brawl on the news down here Rafters, didnt know who was playing though.

By the looks of it Love just ran over and clocked a few blokes and then it was on, is that what happened.

Cazalys is certainly a great venue, weve been on a few footy trips up there and its a cracking joint.

It certainly did bring back memories of 87, funny thing about that GF is Campbelltown didnt need to do what they did, they were the champion team all year. I suppose it was insurance.

Rafters
20th September 2004, 08:20 PM
yes pretty much what happened ... he even admitted in today's Cairns Post that he started it ... headbutting as well.

league officials were stunned & didn't know what to do & left him to coach the whole match but didn't award any premiership medallions to players after the match. Cup awarded to a host of boos & jeers by the crowd ... Port team didn't stay around for presentation which was understandable.

Norths, like Campbelltown were then, are a champion team and didn't need the insurance. Clearly pre-meditated with the way that it started.Rumour was that Love was in the Port dressing rooms before the game as well stirring it up. 6 goal to one first quarter to Norths confirmed it.

Press release from the League today stating that they are launching a full scale investigation headed by independent legal team (2 league board members are senior partners in the city's biggest law firm) so I doubt if they will not let it rest.

I understand that A Current Affair are doing a story on it tonight as well.

shearer
21st September 2004, 03:35 PM
Saw the ACA story, they looked like smug pricks in the dressing room afterwards.

Are they normally biff merchants Rafters?

Saw a few brawls in the crowd as well, you werent amongst it were u?

Matt79
21st September 2004, 10:29 PM
Looks like North Cairns are having their premiership taken away and wiped form the record books. Jason Love is facing a life time ban.

I cannot believe it really happened!!!!!!!

Rafters
22nd September 2004, 08:19 PM
When we played they usually gave us a touch up on the scoreboard so didn't need to try anything on us (although they did try something in the last round match but nothing to write home about) ... some very good experienced footballers ... Tyson Lane (ex Collingwood & Western Bulldogs) is their known star but they have alot of ex-VFA including a few after the fallout a few years ago between Swans & Port Melbourne ... Jason Elliott is one name that springs to mind. Probably their known dirty player is a guy by the name of Ken Rainsford ex-Tas ... but he is on a "good behaviour" period at the moment & apparently was pretty good in the fracas. What Jack Love did was disgraceful & I would be extremely surprised if he gets off lightly because he is very vocal at the best of times.

They went thru the home & away undefeated so really didn't need to do what they did. And they are pretty decent blokes & I have had a few beers with them at the pub etc

I expect it to hurt the club greatly as they are the only club that doesn't have funding from the league at the moment (via Cazalys) but they had a huge sponsor base to pay their players
which I understand is diminishing by the hour (although the Masters tournament is being played at their home grounds in a few weeks so the masters players will prob help the canteen takings!!).

Generally the comp is very clean as it is too hot to have big heavyweight thugs running around. There are high hopes of a few locals being drafted or rookie listed with the Lions for season 2005.

The league have appointed a top barrister today for the position of independent investigator ... it is expected to take 3 weeks ... they have taken great ownership of the matter & seem to be managing the process quite well.

So no cup taken off them ... yet! As reigning wooden spooners I hope they write our "award" off the records as well!!