PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Thompson

caj23
30th September 2004, 10:59 PM
Now before you all shoot me down i'm not necessarily saying that we should go all out for him, but it will be good news for us if he requests a trade from Hawthorn

Basically it will throw another ruckman/forward out in to the market and could potentially reduce the competition to gain the services of Ottens or Simmonds, especially if Geelong decide to pick him up

Of course we could also pursue him for the following reasons:

He is 27 and form has not been spectacular so his trade value is lower than Ottens or Simmonds

He is neither a ruckman or a forward but is accomplished at both.

We have developed Doyle over the last 5 (?) seasons with the intention of making him our no1 long term ruckman. He would certainly take the pressure of Ball, Doyle and Goodes next year as a relief ruckman who would play primarily at Full Forward

He would also add another dimension to our forward line who could do with another tall marking target

Obviously there would be risks including his age, form and mental health, but as long as the Hawks are not asking too much it may be worth a go

OK shoot me down now:p

Damien
30th September 2004, 11:01 PM
Haven't watched him at all for years but if he was cheap (and worth it) I think he would enjoy being out of the Melbourne environment considering how public he has been about his depression.

NMWBloods
30th September 2004, 11:15 PM
Outstandingly good player when in top form. They key issue would be whether he can recapture that form. If he could, then he'd be a very very handy pickup.

robbieando
30th September 2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Haven't watched him at all for years but if he was cheap (and worth it) I think he would enjoy being out of the Melbourne environment considering how public he has been about his depression.

A major reason he was so depressed was because he was living away from his family in Country Victoria. He moved back home at the end of last season and because of the depression the Swans aren't going to be an option as far as he is concerned.

Damien
30th September 2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
A major reason he was so depressed was because he was living away from his family in Country Victoria. He moved back home at the end of last season and because of the depression the Swans aren't going to be an option as far as he is concerned.

Thought it was clinical depression? a chemical imbalance in his brain?

He is also married with a child.

In anycase, only 3 days until the cards start being played!

dread and might
1st October 2004, 12:22 AM
don't like it. he hasn't been good for a while, i wouldn't want to give up anything but draft picks for him. nothing against him personally, i just don't think heh is the tall that we need.

caj23
1st October 2004, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't suggest trading anything significant for him given the risks involved, but he is an alternative to Ottens, Simmonds and co.

I'd be willing to give the Hawks our 1st rounder for him

As i have stated in my previous posts that i don't rate our 1st round pick that high given 3 teams have priority picks and Morton and Smith taken under F/S were potential 1st rounders

Whitefox
1st October 2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Damien
Thought it was clinical depression? a chemical imbalance in his brain?

It was. Apparently he has already told Hawthorn he wants out and has indicated he'd prefer to go Geelong or West Coast.

Red
1st October 2004, 01:57 AM
Why the sudden desire for these ruckman/forwards to play with Geelong I wonder?

I would've thought if you wanted to join a team that showed a lot of promise, the Swans would be ideal.

Also think the last place you'd want to live if you're prone to a bit of depression is Sleepy Hollow (no disrespect to Geelongians).

Someone needs to take these propectives on the Sydney City tour. Is it getting warm up there yet? A few days of beach & bars would do wonders for our recruiters.

caj23
1st October 2004, 02:05 AM
Good luck to the Cats, they've been trying to land a decent key forward since Ablett finished up, looks like 2004 will finally be the year for them

NMWBloods
1st October 2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Red

I would've thought if you wanted to join a team that showed a lot of promise, the Swans would be ideal.

Which is more promising...? A team belted in the semi finals or one that was within a couple of kicks of beating Brisbane in the preliminaries?

Also think the last place you'd want to live if you're prone to a bit of depression is Sleepy Hollow (no disrespect to Geelongians).
Because for people from Melbourne, it is a lot closer to visit family and friends.

It's also a heck of a lot cheaper!

Red
1st October 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Which is more promising...? A team belted in the semi finals or one that was within a couple of kicks of beating Brisbane in the preliminaries?

The jury is out on Geelong IMO. The real test is for them to back up their impressive season with another one -- like we did. I think they're a really good chance to slide back to mediocrity.

It's also a heck of a lot cheaper!
There's a reason for that -- no-one wants to live there! :D Have you actually been there yourself, Nick?

It's hard for me to fathom when I'm from a town very simliar in size & vibe to Geelong. I just cant imagine why you'd choose it over a large, happening city like Melb or Sydney.

Ruck'n'Roll
1st October 2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Red

To be the centre of attention of the young geelong onballers would be brilliant.

On the other hand if you don't want to live in a goldfishbowl the Geelong definitely isn't a good idea.

I also believe he would be a worthwhile gamble for us, he can play forward and in the ruck . . .

As a forward he is a genuine target who plays a very different game to Barry (MickyO would probably flourish playing deep in the forward line next to a big key forward. And in the ruck his style (Primus/McKee) is very different to Ball, Doyle, (Ottens) and Goodes.

Dpw
1st October 2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by robbieando

Was in Perth last week or so visiting his good friend Daniel Chick, he loved it so much he has decided he would seek a trade here, Daneil Chick also rang 6pr confirming this story but his good friend has two years to run on his current contract and that the Hawks will play hardball. Interesting enough Eagles have denied any interest but Chick has confirmed interest and that he was really keen to have his mate move west. And now Thompson has named the Eagles or Geelong as his preferred new home. Trade week sure looks interesting.

for what its worth at the right price he would worth ago, atleast he now puts more forward/rucks in the market.

Barry Schneider
1st October 2004, 05:59 PM
If he goes to the WC maybe we could pick up one of the Eagle's young talls.They seem to have plenty of them.

NMWBloods
1st October 2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Red
The jury is out on Geelong IMO. The real test is for them to back up their impressive season with another one -- like we did. I think they're a really good chance to slide back to mediocrity.
Yep - big test for Geelong next year.

There's a reason for that -- no-one wants to live there! :D Have you actually been there yourself, Nick?

Funny town Geelong - there are some absolutely disgusting areas (over half it it maybe) but some really fantastic spots. If you can get a place on the beach, then it's pretty nice.

It's hard for me to fathom when I'm from a town very simliar in size & vibe to Geelong. I just cant imagine why you'd choose it over a large, happening city like Melb or Sydney.

Some people just like the small town/country feel.

Have to admit I'd be a bit torn between choosing Geelong or Sydney if I was completely objective.

caj23
1st October 2004, 07:41 PM
I've lived in Geelong and if I had to choose between it and Sydney there would be no contest, Sydney

Reminds me of when Shane Heal got drafted to an NBA team which i think was the Minnesota Timberwolves he was asked how he would go living in the backwoods of the states, his reply was:

I lived in Geelong for 3 years, I can live anywhere

No offence to any Geelong people on the board :) just my personal opinion (and Shane Heal's)

Nico
1st October 2004, 08:27 PM
He is a wooden footballer. Wooden hands and when he drops the mark and the ball hits the ground his legs don't move because he has no flexibilty. Tried in the ruck and around the ground but nothing seemed to work when it came to application. Very disappointing to Hawthorn supporters. I know a few and they roll their eyes when you mention Thompson.

Very one dimensional for mine. If he don't mark it he is gone, if he does he is very risky shooting for goal. Give me Bazza in a shoot out any day.

chammond
1st October 2004, 09:20 PM
Thompson's a class act in a crap team. If we can't get Ottens, Thompson would do nicely as compensation. Could be a dominant forward in the right environment, and a very handy back-up ruckman.

BTW, I've seen articles that suggest that Geelong and WCE may be interested in Thompson, but none that actually state that he himself has expressed a preference for any team?

Can anyone point me to an article that has the real story?

Dpw
1st October 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by chammond
Thompson's a class act in a crap team. If we can't get Ottens, Thompson would do nicely as compensation. Could be a dominant forward in the right environment, and a very handy back-up ruckman.

BTW, I've seen articles that suggest that Geelong and WCE may be interested in Thompson, but none that actually state that he himself has expressed a preference for any team?

Can anyone point me to an article that has the real story?

No article, but reported on 6pr two days ago and Channel 7 and channel 10 tonight that the Eagles were his preffered club followed by Geelong. with the Kangaroos and Swans showing some interest. I also heard the Chick phone call personally and from what I heard he has a real desire to head west but as we know you dont always get what you want.

chammond
1st October 2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Dpw
No article, but reported on 6pr two days ago and Channel 7 and channel 10 tonight that the Eagles were his preffered club followed by Geelong. with the Kangaroos and Swans showing some interest. I also heard the Chick phone call personally and from what I heard he has a real desire to head west but as we know you dont always get what you want.

Yeah, I wasn't doubting what you're saying, but it seems really weird that a guy who struggles psychologically with being in a 'goldfish bowl' at Hawthorn is going to improve his lot by going to Perth or Geelong, two places where footy stars are major celebrities who are constantly in the media spotlight?

Oh well, I guess nobody has said that he's particularly rational . . . .