PDA

View Full Version : Juniors setup 2005

cos789
10th October 2004, 08:14 PM
Was reading a few end of year presidents reports .
Most reported good numbers at the various levels .
There were acounts of 30+ players per team .
I was thinking we could follow the examples of O/S and
reduce player numbers to increase the number of teams ,
at least temporarily . The lower the player number requirements the easier it is to make the quantum leap to an extra side .
This has worked well in Denmark where they reduced the senior comp down to 12-a-side , which not only expanded the number of teams but lead to an increase in the total number of players and the basically the formation of a Swedish League .
The shortage of full sized ovals is another consideration .

Any thoughts ?

Rod
10th October 2004, 09:48 PM
Interesting theory, but I think it would really disadvantage the kids in their football development. I know at junior level it should all be about enjoyment and just 'having a crack,' but once these kids start making rep sides they will be playing 18-a-side games and should therefore play their local seasons that way as well. Even when they come up to play senior footy if they're jumping from 12-a-side which would promote less physicality, into a comp with 16-a-side (or 18 if they go somewhere other than SFL) where they would be getting belted around a hell of a lot more it would be a majorly daunting leap for them.
I think most junior clubs do a pretty good job of keeping all 30 kids (or however many they have on a team) content with how much they get to play. The junior competition in Sydney is a great one, and has produced some pretty big AFL names - Hayes, Davis, McVeigh (x2), Hall, Roberts-Thompson as well as plenty of Rookie list players as well. So I think if it aint broke, don't fix it.

peterh_oz
11th October 2004, 12:16 AM
And another reason ... I'm too old/unfit to keep up with a 12-a-side match!

cos789
12th October 2004, 12:19 AM
At the moment modified football (up to 12s) is 15-a-side (in WA at least) and there is always someone for the big clubs wanting to increase it to 18 , saying it's a disadvantage . Having been involved I can say there's no real disadvantage . In fact there tends to be less congestion and higher skill .Normally at 13s players drop off and 2 15-a-side teams form one 18-a-side .
A lower number does work , but there has to be a need for it .

peterh_oz
12th October 2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by cos789
At the moment modified football (up to 12s) is 15-a-side (in WA at least) and there is always someone for the big clubs wanting to increase it to 18 , saying it's a disadvantage . Having been involved I can say there's no real disadvantage . In fact there tends to be less congestion and higher skill .Normally at 13s players drop off and 2 15-a-side teams form one 18-a-side .
A lower number does work , but there has to be a need for it .

It is like that everywhere. Remember that up to u12's play on a smaller field (except Reps who play full field AND 18-a-side but that may be only a Sydney thing?), therefore the reduced numbers.

u13 is full-field and full-rules.

Richo
12th October 2004, 11:33 AM
Having played a bit of 9-a-side last summer, I've gotta say it's a hell of a lot quicker than playing normal footy, but you get hit just as hard.

If anything it's probably got a slight advantage when it comes to teaching skills because you get so much more of the ball and there isn't the congestion.

The biggest drawback would be in tactical stuff and general positional play.

cos789
16th October 2004, 12:32 AM
It's a bit like when the coach divides the team in two for a scratch match .Plenty of action and involvement , but missing some of the finer tactics . Going even smaller teams that play 9-a-side O/S to get people invovled then combine for regular 18-a-side , which is a setup we could learn from . A district could play say 12-a-side locally then have have traditional sides that play in a established association .