PDA

View Full Version : Article on Dempster

TheMase
20th January 2003, 01:22 PM
http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=71321 Des ;)

Dempster on the learning trail
Karen Collins
sydneyswans.com.au
9:32:06 PM Sun 19 January, 2003

The start of the new season is around the corner and Sydney has returned to pre-season training following the holiday season to prepare its challenge for premiership glory while developing their youthful squad.

New to their list this season is youngster Sean Dempster from Gippsland Power who was selected 34th in the 2002 AFL National Draft under the father/son rule.

The 19-year old is settling into AFL and Sydney well but the training has been a shock to the system.

?It?s a big step but it?s been good, well, interesting? Dempster said.

The midfielder and key forward is following his father, Graham (64 games), to the Swans and said both his parents were pleased with the selection.

?Dad was pretty happy about it and Mum was just wrapped, very happy.?

Sydney?s assistant and youth development coach, Peter Jonas, describes Dempster as a quiet person and one who is feeling more comfortable at the club.

?I don?t mind him being quiet as he just sits back, listens and takes it all in? Jonas said.

However after just a couple months Jonas has already noticed a difference in the player.

?He?s starting to come out of his shell now as he?s feeling more settled and is making steady progress on the track.

Dempster is still relatively new to AFL having played soccer until just four years ago.

?I got bored of soccer so took up AFL. I guess it?s been a very quick climb.?

?It?s a credit to him to have come so far in such a short time,? Jonas said.

?But he still has a long way to go.?

Described as a ?very mobile and athletic type? the keen surfer has high expectations for the season.

?I want to try as hard as I can with training and see what happens from there. It [seniors] is always there and I?ll be trying to get a game.?

However the coaching staff will not be putting any pressure on him, nor any of the other young players selected in the draft.

?We just want them to settle in, get use to training, play in the seconds and get through the season without any injury. But if they make the senior team, great!?

Helping Dempster settle into Sydney life are his two flatmates in Scott McGlone and Amon Buchanan.

?It?s going well and the house is really nice. It?s not even that messy as ?Monty? (Buchanan) has his girlfriend down and she tells us what we have to do.?

TheMase
20th January 2003, 04:37 PM
Only played Footy for 4 years. Sounds a bit like Goodesy really. He still has a lot of scope for improvement, thats for sure.

Sounds like a decent prospect!

jude_boltons_babe
20th January 2003, 06:21 PM
great article hope he goes well for the swans

robbieando
20th January 2003, 07:10 PM
I have a feeling that Dempster will at some stage this season, play senior football. Thats of course if he doesn't get injured.

Jimmy C
20th January 2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
I have a feeling that Dempster will at some stage this season, play senior football. Thats of course if he doesn't get injured.

I think you're right. I can see them chucking him into it as early as possible.

CARNA BLOODS!

robbieando
20th January 2003, 11:36 PM
He seems to be doing well in training and if everything goes to plan I see no reason why the club shouldn't play him at some stage.

CureTheSane
21st January 2003, 10:09 AM
Soccer sucks.
I'm not surprised he got bored with it :)

jude_boltons_babe
22nd January 2003, 12:34 PM
i think he will be a really good player i saw him yesterday and a had a talk to him and some of the others it was a great day

Ajn
25th January 2003, 11:57 AM
Hopefully half the player that Goodes is!