PDA

View Full Version : NSWAFL Getting It's Own Website

Troy G
20th January 2003, 05:00 PM
NSW/ACT AFL job opportunity

For further information please contact Jill Moss at the AFL on 02 8333 8000.

================================================== =========
Job Description: Website Producer

Location of role: SCG, Sydney, NSW

The role is responsible for the management of all aspects of the AFL (NSW/ACT) grass roots network rollout. They are the first-point of contact for the State Body, League, club and other suppliers or stakeholders. They are expected to have complete knowledge of all areas of the site, including outstanding issues, developments, schedules, etc. They are also expected to have an excellent knowledge of web site production, and understand common practices for design, layout and functionality, as well as user expectations and what is and is not acceptable on the web. They are responsible for the quality and success of the site and will be required to organise and manage workflow to meet deadlines.

The role is also responsible for planning and managing the implementation of new editorial and customer features, making sure that all stakeholder goals are met. S/he will often provide consultation and advice and work with developers and other team members to provide solutions and answers to new requirements.

This role is also responsible for the successful rollout of the network to sub-league and club sites. S/he must be able to display their knowledge of website production, by identifying opportunities and presenting ideas back to Sportal on site improvement, new content or functionality and improvements to user experience.

As this role is dedicated to AFL (NSW/ACT), there are content provision requirements for the site and for the Sydney AFL Footy Record to be fulfilled.

KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Sportal
- AFL (NSW/ACT)
- AFL (NSW/ACT) Leagues and Clubs
- Other Sportal Producers
- Developers and suppliers
- Sportal Editorial Team

JOB TASKS:

Initially:
- Manage on a day-to-day basis AFL (NSW/ACT) State League website and 1st three League sites
- Prepare the site/s for launch
- Collation and writing of content
- Selection of images and logos
- Training other internal staff

Day to Day once the State site and three League sites are live:

WEBSITE
- Updates - daily, weekly and monthly
- Respond to all incoming email queries and/or direct to the right person within the office to answer
- Chasing content for updates
- Score updates on week-ends
- One stop shop for Maintenance and technical support for clubs and leagues

DATABASE
- Collation of existing data
- Develop a plan for the database
- Link database to website
- Manage update of database

LIAISE WITH CLUBS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Inform, educate and recruit clubs and leagues/associations about the project
- Provide training
- Troubleshoot
- Provide ongoing maintenance and support including after-hours

SYDNEY AFL RECORD
- Write content for the Sydney AFL record
- Coordinate all material each week

GENERAL
- Phone into the weekly Sportal production Meeting
- Maintain an AFL (NSW/ACT) Status Report
- Prepare Bug Reports
- Manage, solve and implement all site production issues
- Scope additional User Requirements and Enhancements

PERSONAL SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS
- Available on weekends and some evenings
- Proven Time Management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong AFL knowledge and ability to write AFL content
- Ability to deal with all levels of individuals for highly technical to no technical understanding.
- High level of personal organisation
- Skilled in negotiation and conflict resolution
- Confident in dealing with Senior Stakeholders, clients and suppliers
- Creative with the ability to think laterally.
- Ability to cope with ongoing change
- Ability to handle and deal with confidential information
- Ability to work independently, and in isolation of the larger team (i.e. most of team is in Melbourne)
- Provide ongoing and open communication with wider team
- Ability to take initiative and identify areas for improvement
- Ability to prioritise tasks and responsibilities
- Professional organisational skills

desredandwhite
20th January 2003, 05:10 PM
why wasn't this role available 14 months ago when I was looking for work??? :D

jude_boltons_babe
20th January 2003, 06:36 PM
what a bummer des i could see you in that job for sure

j s
20th January 2003, 07:33 PM
It's not totally up your tree Des. Sportal provides a content management system so everything has to fit within that.

This was actually first announced to clubs about four years ago but they could never get their act together. Looks like it might actually happen this time

Mike_B
20th January 2003, 08:32 PM
PERSONAL SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS
- Available on weekends and some evenings

Des, you wouldn't want that job, would mean you'd have to miss Swans games!!!

robbieando
20th January 2003, 11:34 PM
Works never that important if it means you have to miss Swans games.

desredandwhite
21st January 2003, 10:46 AM
Actually you're right JS - having read the job spec properly now it sounds a lot like what Steve and myself were doing 2 years ago for rivals.net, only fulltime! More of a content management role, rather than technical - though it looks like it would be helpful to have some technical know-how.

Still, it's not a bad role for someone who wants to get into the area and loves their sport. Looks pretty full-on though.

TheMase
21st January 2003, 11:52 AM
Its about bloody time too!!:mad:

j s
21st January 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Its about bloody time too!!:mad:
I totally agree. They had a one page "watch this space" website years ago which sat there unchanged for several years.

Didn't even have any contact info on it - stupid

Charlie
21st January 2003, 07:48 PM
I notice they don't say anything about salary...

Job articles that don't advertise salary are very shaky.

Charlie

j s
21st January 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I notice they don't say anything about salary...

Job articles that don't advertise salary are very shaky.

Charlie
You've got a lot to learn Charlie. Salary is rarely quoted for such positions (unless it's the government)

Charlie
22nd January 2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by j s
You've got a lot to learn Charlie. Salary is rarely quoted for such positions (unless it's the government)

Well... that sucks. It should be compulsory that job positions advertise salary. What's the point of going for an interview if you are going to earn $5000 less???

TheMase
22nd January 2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Well... that sucks. It should be compulsory that job positions advertise salary. What's the point of going for an interview if you are going to earn $5000 less???

If you get the job you can always turn it down!!

Mike_B
22nd January 2003, 12:36 PM
Its funny that you bring that up Charlie, because alot of job ads in the US don't give a salary, but they often insist you put an expected salary range in your application or they won't consider it....

22nd January 2003, 03:26 PM
Just off topic a little bit....

You know what ****s me? (ooh my first swear word on RWO. But it's a valid, in context, swear word mind you) When companies advertise job vacancies, yet don't place in the advertisement which company the job actually exists with. So you are in effect applying for a job with a company you know absolutely nothing about. That ****s me (#2)

Mike_B
22nd January 2003, 05:57 PM
Yep, annoys me too....those are the ones placed by recruitment agencies.....and they just **** me in general....

Charlie
22nd January 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
If you get the job you can always turn it down!!

Or I could spend my time applying for a job I'd actually take if I got it, instead of wasting my time and the employers time.

Bron
22nd January 2003, 08:33 PM
Charlie, It's a ploy to understand what people are prepared to take, rather than paying what the company is actually prepared to pay - a negotiating ploy. I've called up for jobs that were more than 50% below what I was earning at the time. If you call the agency, you can generally qualify over the phone. Also, sometimes companies don't want to be identified in the ad. I'm not saying it's right (because it's frustrating when you're the job seeker), just that's what happens. I've been the employer and the job hunter and sometimes you have to play the game. Also, sometimes if you put in a salary and you're 5 grand below, some people might not apply and you may be able to stretch a bit for the right person. Reality versus the ideal world.

Sydneyfan
22nd January 2003, 09:51 PM
Good that a NSW AFL website is finally going ahead, I remember that old site too that remained unchanged for years!

Looks like a fairly demanding job, putting a long hours into it get to it up and running, and then maintain. I quite like theAFL Queensland (http://www.aflq.com.au) website, it's quite thorough and relatively easy to navigate (was better pre-Telstra days though!), hopefully the AFL NSW will look similar!

Richo
17th February 2003, 02:31 PM
Any further news on this?

Just out of interest, which leagues are affiliated with Footy Victoria and which with the league of the long white abbreviation?