PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the rookie nominated as a senior player?

The Whale
15th December 2004, 01:12 PM
Who do you think will be the Rookie Listed player nominated for immediate selection as a senior player?
ala Paul Bevan last season

Nick Potter
Guy Campbell
Heath Grundy
Luke Vogels
Stefan Garubba
Earl Shaw
Ed Clarke
Andrew Hayes

My money would be on Guy Campbell based on our need for big bodied defenders.

What does anyone else think?

Jeffers1984
15th December 2004, 01:27 PM
It will be one of the mature big bodied Defenders

My Guess is Vogels, but Guy Campbell had big wraps at Bendigo and seemed destined to slot in the Essendon defence next year if they got him.

liz
15th December 2004, 01:47 PM
They don't need to nominate the player until close to the start of the season. I expect they'll wait and see who looks closest to senior action over the pre-season training and competition programme before deciding.

Bleed Red Blood
15th December 2004, 02:06 PM
Is Earl Shaw ready for AFL or like Erikson a while away?

Benevolent Ert
15th December 2004, 02:24 PM
It has to be one of Campbell, Vogels or Potter surely - maybe Clarke is an outside chance. The rest will be given time to develop in the reserves

Nico
15th December 2004, 05:25 PM
Clarke is a "bird" to get a game.

robbieando
15th December 2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by liz
They don't need to nominate the player until close to the start of the season. I expect they'll wait and see who looks closest to senior action over the pre-season training and competition programme before deciding.

True, Rogers and Bevan didn't get nominated until we played our last practice match and I'll think we'll do the same this coming season.

I think it will come down to Potter, Shaw, Campbell and Vogels.

liz
15th December 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
True, Rogers and Bevan didn't get nominated until we played our last practice match and I'll think we'll do the same this coming season.

I think it will come down to Potter, Shaw, Campbell and Vogels.

Shaw would be a surprise. He'd be battling with Erikson for a game behind Doyle, Ball and Jolly (and maybe Goodes).

If the ruck stocks suffer long term injuries and he is up to playing senior football he can be promoted then. He looked promising in the reserves games I watched this year but still pretty raw.

j s
15th December 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by liz
Shaw would be a surprise. He'd be battling with Erikson for a game behind Doyle, Ball and Jolly (and maybe Goodes).

If the ruck stocks suffer long term injuries and he is up to playing senior football he can be promoted then. He looked promising in the reserves games I watched this year but still pretty raw.
And turns 18 on Friday! But he has to stay off the booze now he's a Swan!

wedge.maverick
18th December 2004, 08:21 AM
Guy Campbell will be a certainty to be the first player promoted.He is 23 and isn't on the rookie list so they can develop him.He was drafted so he could play straight away.My next pick would be Ed Clarke as he has the body to play now and is a better player than Nick Potter.Even though Vogels is mature age it is his first year in the system so I would be surprised if they pushed him up early may be later in the year.All of the others are development players.Also I'm pretty sure that if you are an interstate draftee (eg.Garrubba and Grundy) you have to kept on the rookie list for 2 years, so they will be given time and are looked at as long term.

Boodnutz
18th December 2004, 11:43 AM
Potter is a likely candidate. If he can improve his disposal he will be a very likely promotion seeing as he was the only rookie to be held IIRC.