PDA

View Full Version : Roos thinking of Canberra

Troy G
20th January 2003, 05:41 PM
The Mazda Kangaroos would like to send our best wishes and thoughts to all those affected by the bushfire tragedy in Canberra and surrounding region over the weekend.

In particular we would like to express our sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones in the tragedy and who are battling injuries in hospital or caring for those affected.

We are also thinking of those who have lost homes and property over the past two days.

We hope that improved weather conditions prevail, assisting the heroic efforts of the fire brigades and other emergency services at this time.

The Kangaroos have a close association with Canberra and events over the past 48 hours have touched everyone here greatly.

Senior coach Dean Laidley, who lived in Weston Creek (the most affected area) while coaching the Wildcats in the then ACTAFL in 1999, was keen to send his own special message to those living in Canberra.

"I have fond memories of my time in Canberra. My family and I particularly enjoyed the bush setting in which it is based," Laidley said.

"Many of the players and supporters of the Wildcats live in the suburbs most affected, in particular Duffy and Chapman, and it is difficult to comprehend the devastation they have seen, and are now coming to terms with.

"It really brings it home, when those you know have been so touched by the tragic events.

"On behalf of everyone at the Club, and everyone else nationwide, I would like to offer my thoughts and prayers to all those involved, both now and during the rebuilding process ahead.

"I and the rest of the Kangaroos team will be in Canberra for our Pre-season camp early next month and are currently investigating ways we can be of some assistance to the close-knit community."

SWANSBEST
21st January 2003, 09:41 PM
Already $1m has been put into a fund with the Brumbies and Raiders kicking in $20,000 each . I did not hear about anything coming from the Kangaroos , although I stand to be corrected.

22nd January 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Troy G

"I and the rest of the Kangaroos team will be in Canberra for our Pre-season camp early next month and are currently investigating ways we can be of some assistance to the close-knit community."

Being the financially strapped club that they are, they could always send a contingent of people/players up there to make sandwiches for those fighting the fires. Just a simple suggestion.
But one that would be greatly appreciated. I should know, I'm a firey myself.

SWANSBEST
22nd January 2003, 03:29 PM
Correction to the information that I supplied yesterday. On the radio yesterday the figure was $20000 donation each by the Brumbies and Raiders but in The Canberra Times today the figure is $10000 each.

Bron
22nd January 2003, 05:32 PM
Mr Juicy, well done and thanks. On the sandwich suggestion though, I heard an intervew a few weeks ago that said because of health regulations, the fire service had to get meals catered for and couldn't get a heap of volunteers to make sandwiches - which seemed nuts to me. The firey who was being interviewed was bemoaning this, saying he'd far rather have a sandwich made with love than a sanitised regulation sambo.

Charlie
22nd January 2003, 05:42 PM
Bron, don't know whether that's true. We were glued to ABC radio in Canberra on Sunday, mostly because we needed to know when it was safe to go to my sister's place to check things out. They put out a call in the morning for volunteers to go somewhere or other to help make 1600 sandwiches for lunch. So whether or not it's legal in NSW, they were doing it in the ACT.

22nd January 2003, 05:48 PM
We do it here in Vic too. Although its the local Brigade's Ladies Auxillary Committee that makes the sandwiches for us. They usually consist of our wives and girlfriends. If what you say is true Bron, I'm devastated and totally disgusted with the nature of human beings today.

Bron
22nd January 2003, 08:27 PM
I agree Mr Juicy, it just seemed like absolute crap to me. I really believe that most people find it "easy" to give money, but what is more important is to give of yourself. That is more important to the recipient in most cases because you're actually giving of yourself. [end of soapbox]

It was an NSW interview.