PDA

View Full Version : Lions fed up with moaners, particularly Eddie

SWANSBEST
16th April 2003, 10:27 PM
The GF replay on Thursday night promises to be a very tough game. I like the bit about the Lions wishing to see Eddie pulling on a jumper and running out

Lions fed up with moaners: Leppitsch
By Bill McDonald
Brisbane
April 16 2003

Brisbane Lions players are getting a little sick of the continued jibes concerning their premiership success, particularly from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

Justin Leppitsch yesterday wanted to make it clear to the likes of McGuire and members of the "Melbourne Mafia" that Brisbane, salary cap allowance or not, has beaten an already unfair system and plans to do it a third time.

"That's AFL for you," he said. "It's an uneven competition. It starts with 16 teams and 22 rounds - some teams are going to play the easier teams twice, some teams aren't.

"The grand final is in Melbourne, for Christ's sake. We're probably the only competition that does that apart from the rugby.

"The basketball has it in their own states and nearly everywhere over the world does it that way.

"The whole competition and the way it's run is inequitable in a way.

"I think all of the Lions players would love Eddie to put on a Collingwood jumper and run out on the field - I reckon he'd shut up pretty quick with Browny running at him.

"But I guess when you've got the luxury of sitting back and not being involved, you can make whatever (comment) you like.

"You get the impression from a lot of sources that people are sick of us winning, whether it be commentators or people in general.

"I guess it's the Australian way - you like the underdog and like to see new people on the top all the time," Leppitsch said.

"I think the reason we've won grand finals is we've got a pretty good side, great structure, good discipline and things like that. Sydney spend more money than us and they finished up 12th, so that's a pretty pathetic argument, I think."

Earlier in the week, Lions coach Leigh Matthews spoke of his great personal delight in beating Collingwood at the best of times, but more so with McGuire as president.

McGuire returned fire, claiming Brisbane's cap allowance of about $600,000 roughly equated to the salaries of Alastair Lynch and Jonathan Brown, who were missing last week against the Kangaroos, consequently making Brisbane look a little more beatable.

"I think Browny's spewing - I think Eddie's sold him short a little bit," Leppitsch joked.

"I don't really think that's much of an argument."

The Lions train tonight, with Brown and Lynch to try to prove their fitness, before Collingwood hits the Gabba for an evening training session under lights.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/15/1050172598253.html

snajik
17th April 2003, 05:08 PM
I hope the Lions win by 100.

By the way Leppa, we finished 11th not 12th. It was a tough enough season as it was thank you.

HOT TIP - Eddie McGuire throws his hat in the ring for Wayne Jackson's job without relinquishing the Collingwood Presidency.
"Conflict of interest?", whines an astonished McGuire, "In what way could it be a conflict of interest?"