PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos link-up with The Borough

Rizzo
22nd January 2003, 04:46 PM
Anyone see this coming?

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=71533

desredandwhite
22nd January 2003, 04:57 PM
this was announced just after we split with PMFC, if I remember correctly....

Just moved this to the more appropriate Forum, Rizzo.

Sydneyfan
22nd January 2003, 10:12 PM
I never knew about us terminating our contract with Port, must have had my head in the sand or something! :D

I guess the finances and logistics of having players go down to play for Port each week was too much.

Good luck for the Roos and Port with their new venture, pity the Murray Kangaroos venture didn't prove fruitful in the end.

TheHood
23rd January 2003, 10:55 AM
There is kind of a queer irony here in that the Roos are trying their darndest to crack the ACT market, the Swans drop Port Melbourne for Canberra and the Roos pick up Port Melbourne.

Is it just me or are we going in circles here?:confused:

Red@WhiteBaron
25th January 2003, 05:34 AM
I agree with The Hood in that we're going around in circles! Given the Swans' commitment to building a stronger recruitment base in the NSW/ACT region (thereby assisting with the recruitment of talented youngsters) I can understand the move, but when looking at the calibre of the competition in the VFL dare I say the decision seems to be a step sideways.

PMFC had a number of Swans players play throughout season 2002, and in my opinion they did pretty well. Despite finishing 4th on the ladder, PMFC went on to make the Grand Final.

According to the PMFC website, the split is explained as follows (what do others think???):

"SWANS END AGREEMENT

It is with much disappointment that the Port Melbourne Football Club announce that the agreement with the Sydney Swans has come to an end one year earlier than the arrangement was due to expire.

The decision to end this agreement was made by the Sydney Swans shortly after the completion of Season 2002. Financial difficulties was one of the main reasons cited by the Swans in their failure to honor this arrangement.

The Port Melbourne Football Club is bitterly disappointed with the Swans decision not to honor the Heads of Agreement for its duration. Accordingly, our Club will pursue the legal options regarding the Swan's decision.

The Club acknowledges that an alignment with an AFL Club is paramount to be competitive in the VFL competition. For this reason, talks on an alignment with the Northern Kangaroos commenced after the Swans made their shock announcement."