PDA

View Full Version : Darren Goldspink

Charlie
2nd April 2005, 05:42 PM
Didn't cost us the match (our kicking did that), but another typical Goldspink performance.

What do we have to do to get this malignant blight on the game sacked? :mad: :o

Glenn
2nd April 2005, 05:50 PM
Hmmm maybe we can get (insert whatever player you want) to take him out in a game so both get lengthy holidays ;)

Jeffers1984
2nd April 2005, 06:00 PM
his mates were just as bad

liz
2nd April 2005, 06:03 PM
Didn't really think the umpiring had any impact. There were a couple of questionable decisions but in both directions and none that really influenced the outcome.

Maxfield's HOTB was a bit harsh but Bevan should have had one against him just moments earlier.

footyhead
2nd April 2005, 06:05 PM
He got them back in the game in the 2and with 2 gimme frees in the f50.

SXP
2nd April 2005, 06:07 PM
I agree Liz, we shouldn't blame the umps four our woefull performance.

Glenn
2nd April 2005, 06:08 PM
Enough stuff ups to lose a season of games by Sydney, however Goldstink & Co. didn't help matters

Charlie
2nd April 2005, 06:09 PM
Not blaming them for the loss, as I made clear in the opening post.

Does a game have to be determined by umpires before we can highlight their unacceptable performances? I don't think so.

liz
2nd April 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Not blaming them for the loss, as I made clear in the opening post.

Does a game have to be determined by umpires before we can highlight their unacceptable performances? I don't think so.

No, but what decisions did you think were poor? Even the line ball ones were probably there, the Roos didn't seem to get more of the marginal ones than we did, and I don't recall any clear one's that weren't paid.

I enjoy a bit of umpire-bashing as much as the next person but can't really see an excuse to do so this week.

Charlie
2nd April 2005, 06:29 PM
Ack, Liz... you like putting people on the spot, don't you?

The Maxfield decision is the one that looms large in my mind. There were a couple earlier in the match. Can't recall who the players involved were.

It's always one or two crucial decisions at crucial points in the match. Funnily enough, when the result isn't in doubt, he makes consistent decisions.

floppinab
2nd April 2005, 07:09 PM
24 frees to 10,

says it all really

liz
2nd April 2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
24 frees to 10,

says it all really

But it doesn't, if all those frees were warranted, no obvious ones were missed and the 50/50 ones were consistently awarded.

Essendon fans are the worst at thinking that just because they continually get fewer free kicks than the opposition they've been done over by the umps - not that they play dirty football and are frequently second to the contest.

I hope Swans fans don't fall into the same trap (not that we play dirty football).

Charlie
2nd April 2005, 07:24 PM
We have our share of players who play dumb football - Bevo and Schneider come to mind - and get pinged as a result.

I don't think that adequately explains it, though. The Goodes 50m penalty was a perfect example (can't remember if it was Goldspink who was responsible). It was an accident, and Goodes immediately tried to point that out... but no, they can't see common sense!

liz
2nd April 2005, 07:35 PM
We have our share of players who play dumb football - Bevo and Schneider come to mind - and get pinged as a result.

I don't think that adequately explains it, though. The Goodes 50m penalty was a perfect example (can't remember if it was Goldspink who was responsible). It was an accident, and Goodes immediately tried to point that out... but no, they can't see common sense!

The Goodes' 50m was reasonable in my eye. Goodes was barely in the marking contest and then fell on the back of the Roos defender after he had cleanly taken the mark. I'd have been cheesed off if colours had been reversed and we hadn't got one.

Bevan and Schneider are interesting cases. To a slight degree they can be excused by inexperience - ie you'll cut them a little more slack than you would a senior player.

But one of the downsides of having so many players running around in the twos pressing for selection is that the younger players in the senior team are likely to try to hard to impress to ensure that they are the ones not to make way. They'll be aware than once they are out of the team it will be hard to get back in.

That probably contributes to their poor judgement at times - ie they're trying to do too much.

The situation needs careful coaching. It needs to be impressed upon them that they won't lose their place if they do the basic, team things, even if it mean they miss out on the highlights reel.

BonBon
2nd April 2005, 07:38 PM
Some awful decisions from him. The whole pub made a racket.

ScottH
2nd April 2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by BonBon
Some awful decisions from him. The whole pub made a racket. Pubs usually do. I have to turn my aid up.

Nico
2nd April 2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by liz
The Goodes' 50m was reasonable in my eye. Goodes was barely in the marking contest and then fell on the back of the Roos defender after he had cleanly taken the mark. I'd have been cheesed off if colours had been reversed and we hadn't got one.

Bevan and Schneider are interesting cases. To a slight degree they can be excused by inexperience - ie you'll cut them a little more slack than you would a senior player.

But one of the downsides of having so many players running around in the twos pressing for selection is that the younger players in the senior team are likely to try to hard to impress to ensure that they are the ones not to make way. They'll be aware than once they are out of the team it will be hard to get back in.

That probably contributes to their poor judgement at times - ie they're trying to do too much.

The last 3 paragraphs - What a load of bulldust.

The situation needs careful coaching. It needs to be impressed upon them that they won't lose their place if they do the basic, team things, even if it mean they miss out on the highlights reel.

Mike_B
2nd April 2005, 09:00 PM
I tend to agree with Liz about Goldsphincter....he wasn't too bad. And the 50m against Goodes was there....it wasn't accidental that his elbow ended up in the middle of the Roos player's back - his falling was an accident yes, but the way he broke his fall look pretty bad to me.

Thought the other umps were worse today, but generally speaking, nothing too bad - we've definitely copped worse, and will definitely cop worse through the rest of the season.

Nico
2nd April 2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by liz

The last 4 paragraphs - What a load of bulldust.

ugg
2nd April 2005, 09:02 PM
The umpires are the least of our worries at the moment. I thought they were okay today, we got a few dodgy ones against us and a few for us so I can't really complain. Save the whinging for a worse day.

BonBon
2nd April 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Save the whinging for a worse day.
I hope this is the only bad day we have. Glad it's at the start of the season, and not later!

Nico
2nd April 2005, 10:01 PM
Only the replay Goodes clearly dived on his back, and late. Get the esky out Goodesy cause you may have a couple of weeks off.

By the way one of the things that really stood out today was a big slice of lack of discipline.

Then again I suspect they were P155'd off with the game plan by games end.

Charlie
2nd April 2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Only the replay Goodes clearly dived on his back, and late. Get the esky out Goodesy cause you may have a couple of weeks off.

:eek: It was clumsy, no doubt about it, but it wasn't intentional and didn't injure the player.

BonBon
2nd April 2005, 10:05 PM
Nick Davis is playing really hard that he might end up having 1 week off because he'll be all bruised.

Slick Swans
2nd April 2005, 11:19 PM
Did anyone else notice this just as the roos started getting away?

RED ALERT
LAST 6 FREE KICKS
KANGAROOS

:confused:

cruiser
2nd April 2005, 11:26 PM
24 frees to 10 is a disgrace. If all 24 were justified, then Sydney needs to go back to some basics in their training.

Sanecow
3rd April 2005, 12:04 AM
I am a bit pissed off at the lop-sided free kick count but I can't say that any more of the decisions seemed totally wrong than usual. But I was stunned by the clangers and poor kicking so I might not have noticed. Plus some weren't shown on the telly - like the one paid downfield when the roos were playing kick to kick and the Swans were flooding.

timthefish
3rd April 2005, 04:57 AM
:eek: It was clumsy, no doubt about it, but it wasn't intentional and didn't injure the player.

i reckon he crooked his elbow and got him nicely in the lower back. if it wasn't deliberate, it was incredibly reckless, clumsy and late.

timthefish
3rd April 2005, 05:00 AM
regarding umpiring, there are actually a couple of things people can try if they think the standard is low.

learn to umpire and put him out of a job or campaign for full-time umpires with continual training.

floppinab
3rd April 2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
24 frees to 10 is a disgrace. If all 24 were justified, then Sydney needs to go back to some basics in their training.

Amen to that brother.

Can't believe some of the comments in this thread. Were we 2 and half odd times more indisciplined than they were. I don't think so.

We've been getting a **** run for quite a while.

I remember the Crows getting a similar run in their first 4 or 5 years in the AFL. Regular free differentials of 40 or 50% year on year. It was no coincidence their premiership years occured when this finally changed.

Rob-bloods
3rd April 2005, 10:47 AM
They cannot claim we were 'second to the ball' all day, jeez we led for all but three quarters, two head shots (Ablett/Willo) no frees, every half chance they got their kicks.

We were still awful though..

The guy with sandy hair was even worse than Goldy, he should have a long long career as an umpy!

(RIP Carey, Goldspink)

NMWBloods
3rd April 2005, 11:11 AM
We've been getting a **** run for quite a while.

How do you figure that?

Let's look at our previous games

1R05 - 26-21
SF04 - 16-15
EF04 - 17-17
22R04 - 10-13
21R04 - 18-10
20R04 - 13-11
19R04 - 10-12
18R04 - 19-20
17R04 - 27-18
16R06 - 17-10
etc

Overall for 2004 - 382-364

3rd April 2005, 01:39 PM
Did Goldspink umpire all of our games??

How about FF-FA in the games umpired by Goldspink. If that figure is absolutely one-sided, I think we do have a case to ask the AFL for not assigning him to umpire our games.

Red
3rd April 2005, 02:27 PM
24 frees to 10,

says it all really 7 goals to 17 behinds

I think that says more.

bricon
3rd April 2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Newbie
Did Goldspink umpire all of our games??

How about FF-FA in the games umpired by Goldspink. If that figure is absolutely one-sided, I think we do have a case to ask the AFL for not assigning him to umpire our games.

In 2004 Goldspink officiated in 5 Swans matches; here's the free kick stats from those games.

Round 2 v Fremantle 18-12
Round 6 v Essendon 18-21
Round 10 v Bulldogs 14-15
Round 12 v Collingwood 12-17
Round 21 v Essendon 18-10

Charlie
3rd April 2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bricon
In 2004 Goldspink officiated in 5 Swans matches; here's the free kick stats from those games.

Round 2 v Fremantle 18-12
Round 6 v Essendon 18-21
Round 10 v Bulldogs 14-15
Round 12 v Collingwood 12-17
Round 21 v Essendon 18-10

That's quite surprising.

It's a shame that we can't get individual umpire stats. That'd pretty much settle whether it's perception or an actual discrepancy.

swansrule100
3rd April 2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by liz
Didn't really think the umpiring had any impact. There were a couple of questionable decisions but in both directions and none that really influenced the outcome.

Maxfield's HOTB was a bit harsh but Bevan should have had one against him just moments earlier.

i agree, i think it was even for both teams

cruiser
3rd April 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
How do you figure that?

Let's look at our previous games

1R05 - 26-21
SF04 - 16-15
EF04 - 17-17
22R04 - 10-13
21R04 - 18-10
20R04 - 13-11
19R04 - 10-12
18R04 - 19-20
17R04 - 27-18
16R06 - 17-10
etc

Overall for 2004 - 382-364
You are such a killjoy.

NMWBloods
3rd April 2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
You are such a killjoy.

Yeah, hate to spoil such whinging with a few facts...

;)

Go Swannies
3rd April 2005, 10:46 PM
But we really need the frees stats for Goldspink matches vs the others. And also where they were given. I notice that we often score frees against in front of the goal 30 metres out and get frees for around the centre square.

The scary thing is that there's a chance that NMWBloods will be able to find such a breakdown. . .

NMWBloods
3rd April 2005, 10:56 PM
Would love to but I don't have that data! It is available however - I've heard it quoted on TV/radio. :)

We do get a lot of free kicks against just outside the opponent's goal. Sometimes that poor umpiring but often it's also over-exuberance by our backmen.

swansrule100
3rd April 2005, 11:35 PM
trouble with the free stats are that we might be able to show goldspink (or whoever) has paid 40 more frees against, but it doesnt mean he wasnt right every time. Cant pay us a free because it evens out the ledger!

Wardy
4th April 2005, 08:32 AM
My dislike for the "Stink" is well documented, But you have an umpire here who's ego is so big that even the Umpires committee have an uphill battle convincing the pratt that he's made mistakes. He wont have a bar of it, and the thing is he thinks he wants to keep going to reach the biggest number of games umpired - Again I hope that a player, who is retiring at the end of the season does the community a favour and knocks him out cold (and breaks a few legs for good measure).
Having said that though - we played so badly, couldnt make a decision to save ourselves so one really cant blame the Stink for the loss(although I'd dearly love to. - I think I need therapy)

giant
4th April 2005, 10:58 AM
But seriously 10 free kicks for 120 mns of footy when we've been in front for 3.5 quarters? North would have to be the most discplined team in history to only give away one kick every 12 mins.

With 3 mins to go before half time, we had 3 frees! Thats a free kick every 19 mins!

Didnt decide the game but it certainly never helps. Only b*ggers I feel more sorry for are the Dockers who seem to constantly get the wrong end of the stick

Ajn
4th April 2005, 11:15 AM
Been a big fan of himself for too long, seem him too often react to the crowd to make hasty calls. But still glad that we didn't have the umps from the StK vs Frem game, what a shocking way to lose a game on such a bad call!

Wil
4th April 2005, 11:20 AM
We do get a lot of free kicks against just outside the opponent's goal. Sometimes that poor umpiring but often it's also over-exuberance by our backmen. I think thats a critical point. Its our play that gives away the frees by having a back line that is too short.

DST
4th April 2005, 01:03 PM
Not even worth a thread, they had relevance what so ever on the game on the weekend.

End of story.........

DST
:D

floppinab
4th April 2005, 01:16 PM

We do get a lot of free kicks against just outside the opponent's goal. Sometimes that poor umpiring but often it's also over-exuberance by our backmen.

That's the main one I'm referring to. I remember last year we were worst in league by some margin in FF leading to scoring shots.