PDA

View Full Version : Worse (and best) game of recent years?

Go Swannies
4th April 2005, 05:17 PM
The dour game against the Roos has lots of us thinking about other dud Swans games we have witnessed. Personally, the worst game of footy I've ever seen was the Swans-Aints in 2002 (?) that neither team could win so it ended in a draw. But the way the Swans folded in the wet to the Tigers last year comes close for head-bowed ineptitude.

What would be your selection of the worst (and best) Swans games of the Paul Roos era?

For best games I'd put the Port QF of 2003, the Aints game of R11 last year and the Brisbane game at the Gabba late in R20 2003.

Glenn
4th April 2005, 05:28 PM
For ineptitude got to be the Swans vs Saints game (2003????)

Best game, QF vs Port @ AAMI, courage,pride,passion

Plugger46
4th April 2005, 05:42 PM
Best: QF against Port Adelaide
Worst: Richmond loss last year

ROK Lobster
4th April 2005, 05:46 PM
Worst: Last year against Port. The game showed how much a big win (the week before against St K) takes out of the team, both physically and mentally, and the absolute lack of depth we have in our back half. After the excitement of the week before that game brought me back to earth with a thud. That game, more than any other in the past few years, showed just how far we are behind the top teams. After Saturday I cannot see how much has changed.

Best: 2003 v West Coast at SCG when MOL kicked 5 or 6. Just thought we played good footy all day.

NMWBloods
4th April 2005, 05:50 PM
The game against the Saints was 2002, and definitely one of the worst.

Some examples over the past 7 years...

Shockers barely worth watching (and certainly never again) include Adelaide last year (SCG), Richmond last year (SCG), Geelong last year (SCG), Hawthorn in 2003 (MCG), Kangaroos in 2003 (Manuka), Geelong in 2002 (SCG), Bulldogs in 2002 (SCG), Lions in 2002 (SCG), Hawthorn EF in 2001, Essendon in 2001 (SCG), Hawthorn in 1999 (W), Bulldogs QF in 1997.

Best games were St Kilda last year (SCG), Port QF in 2003, Lions in 2003 (Gabba and SCG), Essendon in 2003 (TS), Calrton in 2003 (TS), Collingwood in 2003 (TD), Kangaroos in 2001 (twice at SCG), West Coast in 1998 (WACA).

ScottH
4th April 2005, 06:11 PM
What bloods said.

timtayla
4th April 2005, 07:22 PM
Any game we win against the eagles i enjoy work next day.

Nico
4th April 2005, 08:06 PM
Loss to the Hawks at the G in 2002 or 2003 on a wet Friday night was a shocker.

swansrule100
4th April 2005, 08:27 PM
best game is any win
worst game is any loss

NMWBloods
4th April 2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by swansrule100
best game is any win
worst game is any loss

Sorry, but I think that is rubbish.

swansrule100
4th April 2005, 09:16 PM
what a surprise you think its rubbish!!!!1 :rolleyes:
name an enjoyable loss??? even if we are spirited it just stinks cos we tried our heart out and lost

fair enough though particular games

well best game of recent times has to be qf v port in 2003 followed by the win against carlton in any year

the worst game ive seen was last year and this year against the kangaroos and the game against brisbane in the 2003 prelim, because we were outclassed too easily in the last half

BonBon
4th April 2005, 09:21 PM
Worst: The Wally Jackson Roos one.
Best: Not sure yet.

swansrule100
4th April 2005, 09:24 PM
best: 2005 grand final???? :p

Jeffers1984
4th April 2005, 09:25 PM
Best: 2003 qualifying final (Derr)
2002 Against the Roos...hearing KB shouting out WILLIAMS! after he kicked that great snap to give us the lead and which led to us storming home to win by 40 odd. Was also Kells last really good game.

Worse - richmond last yr (first time ive left before the siren)

BonBon
4th April 2005, 09:26 PM
best: 2005 grand final???? :p
Yet to come. I will come back to this thread in September some time.

liz
4th April 2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

Shockers barely worth watching (and certainly never again) include Adelaide last year (SCG), Richmond last year (SCG), Geelong last year (SCG), Hawthorn in 2003 (MCG), Kangaroos in 2003 (Manuka), Geelong in 2002 (SCG), Bulldogs in 2002 (SCG), Lions in 2002 (SCG), Hawthorn EF in 2001, Essendon in 2001 (SCG), Hawthorn in 1999 (W), Bulldogs QF in 1997.

You forgot the Freo game at the SCG in 2001? 2002? Both teams had lost several in a row and were completely bereft of confidence. Sydney turned out to be less crap on the day than the Shockers but it was a close run thing. It was certainly the most inept performance by two teams I'd ever witnessed...only to be surpassed a couple of years later by the St Kilda game.

swansrule100
4th April 2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984

Worse - richmond last yr (first time ive left before the siren)

id supressed that memory til this thread mentioned it :(

Mike_B
4th April 2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by liz
You forgot the Freo game at the SCG in 2001? 2002? Both teams had lost several in a row and were completely bereft of confidence. Sydney turned out to be less crap on the day than the Shockers but it was a close run thing. It was certainly the most inept performance by two teams I'd ever witnessed...only to be surpassed a couple of years later by the St Kilda game.

I remember that game - those of us down on the fence on the O'Reilly wing thought the ball was flat in the first quarter that's how pathetic the kicking was early on.

ROK Lobster
4th April 2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by liz
You forgot the Freo game at the SCG in 2001? 2002? Both teams had lost several in a row and were completely bereft of confidence. Sydney turned out to be less crap on the day than the Shockers but it was a close run thing. It was certainly the most inept performance by two teams I'd ever witnessed...
LOL. I remember listening to that game on the radio. The commentators were saying how boring the game was, how pathetic it was, and how neither side looked as though they could possibly win it. By the 3rd qtr they were just pretty much talking amongst themselves.

Big Al
4th April 2005, 09:35 PM
Worst loss in the Paul Roos era was the Roos game Rd 19 last year. Worst ever was the 150 point hiding against the Bears in 1994.

The best of the Paul Roos era was the Port Adelaide Sf 2003 and Best of all time 1996 Prelim v Essendon

Also anytime we beat Collingwood is a good day

The Undertaker
4th April 2005, 09:58 PM

Best games were St Kilda last year (SCG), Port QF in 2003, Lions in 2003 (Gabba and SCG), Essendon in 2003 (TS), Calrton in 2003 (TS), Collingwood in 2003 (TD), Kangaroos in 2001 (twice at SCG), West Coast in 1998 (WACA). i agree with NMWBloods.
:)

Dont forget some of those game we've had against Freo over the years like last year and year before.Very boring.

NMWBloods
4th April 2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by liz

Yeah - did forget that one (thank you for reminding me!! :mad: ;) ) - horrific!

NMWBloods
4th April 2005, 10:15 PM
what a surprise you think its rubbish!!!!1 :rolleyes:
name an enjoyable loss??? even if we are spirited it just stinks cos we tried our heart out and lost

Best game is not any win - look at some of the shockers we have won.

I'm not saying that losses are enjoyable, but it's not necessarily the case that every lost game is amongst the worst.

For example, compared a season where we win 14-8 and don't win the flag, and every win is a tough grind and dull to watch, against another season where we win 12-10, all games are exciting and a joy to watch. The odd extra losses are possibly worth it for a more enjoyable spectacle.

In some ways I can empathise with the comments from the 'Journey' brigade (which is why I like to jump up and down about it). Of course the aim is to win a flag, but it's a professional sport and as a spectator to it I also want to enjoy the game when I watch it.

That's not to say losing is awfully frustrating, however winning when it is boring doesn't enthral me either.

cruiser
4th April 2005, 11:18 PM
What year was that dreadful, boring, low scoring draw against St Kilda at Telstra Dome (then Colonial Stadium)? That was one of the worse I have ever seen.

Mike_B
4th April 2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by cruiser
What year was that dreadful, boring, low scoring draw against St Kilda at Telstra Dome (then Colonial Stadium)? That was one of the worse I have ever seen.

JF_Bay22_SCG
5th April 2005, 03:25 AM

Yeah, that was probably the most insipid pathetic performance I have seen over recent years.

Actually, no the St Kilda final in the rain in 04 was actually worse. The Port drubbing in 04 was explainable because of the lack of cattle we had on the park that day. And against Freo in Perth we at least came back and made a game of it in the 2nd half.

Getting drubbed in the soaking rain in a high profile semi-final we were expected to win is probably as gauling as it gets.

The worst ever Swans effort I can remember was against the Brisbane Bears at the Gabba in 1993 where I think we kicked 2 goals vs 200 odd. I recall I saw the Melbourne based Cheer Squad go up on the Greyhound that day. And the looks of horror on their faces as the atrocity unfolded. I recall we kicked only 2 points deep into the 3rd quarter with the whole crowd sarcastically booing when we kicked one them.

JF

ScottH
5th April 2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
The worst ever Swans effort I can remember was against the Brisbane Bears at the Gabba in 1993 where I think we kicked 2 goals vs 200 odd. I recall I saw the Melbourne based Cheer Squad go up on the Greyhound that day. And the looks of horror on their faces as the atrocity unfolded. I recall we kicked only 2 points deep into the 3rd quarter with the whole crowd sarcastically booking when we kicked one them.

JF I was just trying to remember what year that one was, Yes it was an absolute shocker. They wne tvery close to kickingthe highest score ever.

Ironically, this mark sits behind only the Brisbane Bears? 120-point halftime lead against the Sydney Swans at the Gabba in 1993, when Roger Merrett and Michael Murphy kicked eight goals apiece.

Date: 16-May-1993
Brisbane Bears 10.7 19.10 27.17 33.21 219
Sydney 0.1 0.4 2.6 8.9 57

Brisbane Bears won by 162 pts. Att: 8,916 Venue: Gabba

19 goals to none at half time!!!!

ScottH
5th April 2005, 08:32 AM
There was also a game in the early nineties against Carlton at the SCG, we were in front ( a rare occurence back then). I commented at the time "If we lose this I'm giving them away".

Leon Higgins, who was staring in the backline, went off injured and Carlton ran over us.

So I gave the Sydney Swans away...............Why don't I keep my promises!!!! :(

NMWBloods
5th April 2005, 10:06 AM
Of course there was the shocking loss against StKilda in '94 when Lockett killed us (and Peter Caven's nose) in the last quarter.

cruiser
5th April 2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I was just trying to remember what year that one was, Yes it was an absolute shocker. They wne tvery close to kickingthe highest score ever.

Date: 16-May-1993
Brisbane Bears 10.7 19.10 27.17 33.21 219
Sydney 0.1 0.4 2.6 8.9 57

Brisbane Bears won by 162 pts. Att: 8,916 Venue: Gabba

19 goals to none at half time!!!!
I'm glad I was travelling overseas at the time and actually missed that entire season.

ScottH
5th April 2005, 10:17 AM
Of course there was the shocking loss against StKilda in '94 when Lockett killed us (and Peter Caven's nose) in the last quarter. I think he attempted to kill a few in the crowd behind the goals with some of the goals he drilled.

A guy I know reckons it was at him and his mates, but I don't believe that.

Thunder Shaker
5th April 2005, 11:23 AM
It wasn't the greatest game of all time, but that game in 1993 when we beat Melbourne in round 13 was good to watch. It was our only win that season, our previous win was round 8, 1992 and our next was round 4, 1994 ... but during a losing streak you would take any win.

27-Jun-1993 at SCG
Sydney 5.4 11.4 21.8 23.11 (149)
Melbourne 5.4 10.7 10.8 16.13 (109)

swansrule100
5th April 2005, 03:16 PM
Best game is not any win - look at some of the shockers we have won.

I'm not saying that losses are enjoyable, but it's not necessarily the case that every lost game is amongst the worst.

For example, compared a season where we win 14-8 and don't win the flag, and every win is a tough grind and dull to watch, against another season where we win 12-10, all games are exciting and a joy to watch. The odd extra losses are possibly worth it for a more enjoyable spectacle.

In some ways I can empathise with the comments from the 'Journey' brigade (which is why I like to jump up and down about it). Of course the aim is to win a flag, but it's a professional sport and as a spectator to it I also want to enjoy the game when I watch it.

That's not to say losing is awfully frustrating, however winning when it is boring doesn't enthral me either.

i think the thing is a swans fan who went through all the wooden spoons and rubbish is generally happy to win full stop....probably a bad thing!!!

i see what your saying though, id much rather watch 1996 or 1998 swans games than 2004, 05 games

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th April 2005, 03:26 AM
I think he attempted to kill a few in the crowd behind the goals with some of the goals he drilled.

A guy I know reckons it was at him and his mates, but I don't believe that.

It WAS Foreign Legion and his partner at the time. I know that it was THEM that Plugger kicked the footy at.

Lockett then came out with cult comments saying that Sydney supporters "were the nastiest & most spiteful supporters in the league".

What did you two say to him FL? :eek:

JF

PS:- FL also got a reaction out of James Cook of Carlton when we played at Princes Park one year.

ROK Lobster
6th April 2005, 08:15 AM
This is the worse thread ever. In fact, I am having trouble thinking of a worst one, siriusly.

Go Swannies
6th April 2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
This is the worse thread ever. In fact, I am having trouble thinking of a worst one, siriusly.

Stay on topic. Start your own best and worse thread thread if you wish. Though this thread has lost my attention a bit since JF and friends decided that "recent years" is any time since the Swans last won a flag.

cruiser
6th April 2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
Stay on topic. Start your own best and worse thread thread if you wish. Though this thread has lost my attention a bit since JF and friends decided that "recent years" is any time since the Swans last won a flag.
Ok for them if they are old enough to recall back that far.

ScottH
6th April 2005, 10:37 AM
Ok for them if they are old enough to recall back that far. But that last goal in our Premiership win was just awesome!!!

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th April 2005, 02:52 PM

Huh? Is the early 90s before your time Go Swannies? It sure ain't 1933. But we were incredibly crap in those days. And to be honest, didn't know much different.

I look back on those years with a tinge of fondness in a way. You would go to the games saying "What do you think it will be, 20, 30,40 (point loss)?"

and that win against Melbourne, man there were some tears that day. I recall the looks of dismay from the Demons Cheer Squad as several of us started bawling our eyes out at the end of the match. To win when you hadn't for 27 games was just an undescribable feeling, just overwhelming. It was like we had won a flag or something. In terms of how I lost the plot after a win, I only think the Essendon final saw me more delirious than that special day when Osborne kicked 10 and we downed the Dees.

JF

Go Swannies
6th April 2005, 04:04 PM
and that win against Melbourne, man there were some tears that day. I recall the looks of dismay from the Demons Cheer Squad as several of us started bawling our eyes out at the end of the match. To win when you hadn't for 27 games was just an undescribable feeling, just overwhelming. It was like we had won a flag or something. In terms of how I lost the plot after a win, I only think the Essendon final saw me more delirious than that special day when Osborne kicked 10 and we downed the Dees.

JF

See - that's why we follow the Swans: for the emotional rollercoaster. If felt like crying with frustration last Saturday and I may shed tears of relief if we beat the Lions.

swansrule100
6th April 2005, 10:14 PM
i enjoyed the round 7 or 8 1987 clash against hawthorn at the scg! was on fox footy today what a rippa we had some champions then!

lost to fitzroy the next week

JF_Bay22_SCG
7th April 2005, 02:56 AM
See - that's why we follow the Swans: for the emotional rollercoaster. If felt like crying with frustration last Saturday and I may shed tears of relief if we beat the Lions.

Do you remember the match where you sat behind me in 2003. You said that we had the match and I said if you said that again, I'd rip your head off. Oops.:o

that is the most emotional I have been at the footy in years. Yes, I shed tears after that.Couldn't stop either, much to the shock of the old women in Lion ears in the bay to our left. Was just uncontrollable emotion. we had beaten the 2 time premiers twice in a season (in a cliffhanger and after a large deficit as well!) and I was just just overwhelmed by shock, happiness and tremendous pride. I had chanted and sung as loud as I possibly could. To bring them home and get a reward like that is the reason I follow football in the first place. Especially considering the efforts I had made in buying $70 worth of flag sticks just to ensure we had support at every away game.

I wouldn't trade the way I felt that afternoon for any emotion in the world. Purely and simply, I live for THAT feeling. That feeling is undescribable, the adrenalin flows through your veins so much that you often can;t sleep that night. Eve if you are DOG tired from all the cheering.

It is why I follow the football, to experience what I felt that day at the Gabba. I yearn for more on Saturday night!

JF

silent lurker
7th April 2005, 03:16 AM
Worst: Fremantle 2001 I just remember so many players on both teams dropping simple chest marks.

Best: Richmond 1997 The first game I went to. It rained goals on that Friday night.

Most fun: St Kilda 2001 Luffy's last match. We got the big lead in the first half and then the rain came (and the hail). We're singing in the rain!

swansrule100
7th April 2005, 02:29 PM
most fun was pluggers last game at the scg against the crows..... i think thats the one

JF_Bay22_SCG
12th April 2005, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't trade the way I felt that afternoon for any emotion in the world. Purely and simply, I live for THAT feeling. That feeling is undescribable, the adrenalin flows through your veins so much that you often can;t sleep that night. Eve if you are DOG tired from all the cheering.

It is why I follow the football, to experience what I felt that day at the Gabba. I yearn for more on Saturday night!

JF

And man, did I certainly get it! And we celebrated 100 times more than we did in 2003 too!

JF

Go Swannies
12th April 2005, 05:34 PM
And man, did I certainly get it! And we celebrated 100 times more than we did in 2003 too!

JF

I'm with you there!!

In fact I have a hazy memory that I was with you there. I was still humming the song on the drive home. Great night - made better by the fact that the whole pub turned to watch every time we started singing again. Was there anyone out there who didn't get a rendition through our mobile phones?

And "Up there for Sydney" was fun, too.

Yep, two of the games I've enjoyed most have been at the Gabba. Would have been three in a row if Ball had kicked straight.

cruiser
12th April 2005, 05:42 PM
Would have been three in a row if Ball had kicked straight.
As Hall lined up his winning shot at goal on Saturday night, I had a brief chilling flashback to Jason Ball's costly missed set shot at goal last year. In my euphoria as the ball sailed through for a goal, that flashback was forgotten until I read your post.

ScottH
12th April 2005, 05:51 PM
As Hall lined up his winning shot at goal on Saturday night, I had a brief chilling flashback to Jason Ball's costly missed set shot at goal last year. In my euphoria as the ball sailed through for a goal, that flashback was forgotten until I read your post. The difference was Ball HAD to kick a goal to win, Hall HAD to kick a point at worst.
In the same situation Ball woulda won the game on Sat Night.

Schneiderman
12th April 2005, 05:52 PM
As Hall lined up his winning shot at goal on Saturday night, I had a brief chilling flashback to Jason Ball's costly missed set shot at goal last year. In my euphoria as the ball sailed through for a goal, that flashback was forgotten until I read your post.

Good thing this time we made sure we only needed a behind :D

Go Swannies
12th April 2005, 05:55 PM
The difference was Ball HAD to kick a goal to win, Hall HAD to kick a point at worst.
In the same situation Ball woulda won the game on Sat Night.

Baz acknowledged that. Though we must be fair and point out that Jason B did a lot to win us the game on Saturday night anyway. It was funny to watch him drop to his knees to receive a low kick in that last quarter. For Danny de Vito it would have been a stretching overhead mark.

Go Swannies
12th April 2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Good thing this time we made sure we only needed a behind :D

That's what they are always saying about Sydneysiders.

In Joh's day it would have been illegal for Brisbane to score behinds. Don't you worry about that.

pornstar
13th April 2005, 12:53 AM
Worst game in the history of the AFL would have to be the 8.8.56 draw between us and StKilda at Telstra Stadium.
It was a game of flooding from both teams, and was a blight on the game. This was the game where Daniel /wolf ran into the goals in the dying secoinds and hit the post to force a tie.

The best game was the Port Adelaide finals win a couple of years back.