PDA

View Full Version : so you think you know the rules...

Phil Doyle
22nd April 2003, 10:05 PM
Here's an interesting one from the last round of football in the CWAFL, its from the umpire co-ordinator for the CWAFL...

Finally, one that cropped up in one of the games last round, and an interesting one at that:
Scenario : Full back plays on from within the goal square by touching the ball to ground, then runs a few yards, then accidentally duffs the kick and it bounces out of bounds without another player touching it.
The Umpie paid a free kick to the attacking side, on the grounds that the kick out went out of bounds without another player touching it, even though the player taking the kick had played on.
Right or wrong ?
The decision to award the free kick would have been correct had the ball been brought into play correctly in the first place.
Decision: Bounce the ball on the centre of the kickoff line to recommence play.
Why??
The ball wasn't brought back into play correctly.
Law 13 (d) The player kicking the football into play may, provided he has kicked the football clear from his hands, regain possession and play on from within the Goal Square.
In the instance described, the player did not kick the ball, he merely touched the ball on the ground, therefore the ball was not brought into play correctly in the first place.
Here is where the rules could become a bit murky. Had the ball been properly brought back into play, I would have ruled as this Umpie did for the following reason:
Law 15.6.1 (b) in the act of bringing the football back into play after a behind has been scored, Kicks the football over the boundary line without the football first being touched by another player.
(c) intentionally kicks, handballs or forces the football over the boundary line without the football being touched by another player.
My reasoning: Just because the Umpie has called play-on, I believe that the player is still in the act of bringing the football back into play, even though he may (after kicking the ball to himself in the square), be on the wing and kick or force the ball over the Boundary Line. Until the ball has touched another player, I would not think that the act of bringing the ball into play has finished.
Does anyone have a different opinion here? I have referred this one to the AFL for confirmation.
Cheers
Chris

over to you...

floppinab
24th April 2003, 05:45 PM
Interesting one Phil, I love the way these pop up from time to time (like the Barry Hall hand on the post one last week).

I would've though that the act of

Law 13 (d) The player kicking the football into play may, provided he has kicked the football clear from his hands,

consititues

Law 15.6.1 (b) in the act of bringing the football back into play after a behind has been scored,

the little kick is bringing the ball back into play, after that the ball is already in general play and the FB can do whatever with it as part of normal play.

Did you get a response from the AFL on this one???