PDA

View Full Version : L Matthews :McGuire commentary irritating

SWANSBEST
23rd April 2003, 09:38 PM
I think that Leigh is being super polite when compared to some comments from others.

McGuire commentary irritating: Matthews
1:50:01 PM Wed 23 April, 2003
afl.com.au

Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews has said that he doesn?t believe Collingwood president Eddie McGuire is biased in his football commentary ? but he understands how viewers would be irritated by it.

McGuire?s call for Channel Nine of last Thursday?s grand final re-match at the Gabba and his pre-match editorial on the AFL?s objections to the Collingwood banner has prompted plenty of public debate.

?It?s one of those fact/perception things. I?m not convinced that he actually is biased,? Matthews told Sport927.

?But I think that a president calling his own club?s game, you?re putting yourself open for enormous questioning. I think it puts everyone looking for something.?

?Whether it?s there or not becomes a bit irrelevant, because everyone?s looking for it and I think gets irritated by it, to be honest,? he said.

?I would have thought it would irritate supporters of other clubs, non-Collingwood people, when they see Eddie calling Collingwood games.?

Matthews said he was certain that Channel Nine would have a good understanding of what the viewers felt, but he suggested that he knew of people who preferred to listen to a radio call of the grand final re-match.

?I would love to see the research. There must be research that tells you that,? he said.

?I?m amazed at the anecdotal evidence of people who listened to the radio and watched it on TV on Thursday night.?

Matthews said he was underwhelmed by the fuss over the Collingwood banner, which referred to the ?AFL Lions? and took a swipe at the club over salary cap concessions.

?I must admit I think the banner was a bit of a storm in a tea cup,? Matthews said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=87157

Reggi
25th April 2003, 05:53 PM
Wonderfully damming

L Matthews has that ability to absolutely hand out a slagging whilst giving the appearance of bein fair