PDA

View Full Version : The Gameplan

timr
2nd May 2005, 04:36 PM
It seems to me there have been some over-simplifications running around lately about our gameplan.

Many people are saying why not go back to the 2003 gameplan? Unfortunately the world has moved on - it isn't that easy. Other teams eventually figured out that choosing the right kind of forward to play on Barry and Kennelly could force them to be more accountable (and often dragged back to the goalsquare) and thus reduce their ability to create run off the half-back line. Injuries to Schauble and Saddington who filled key positions in the backline in 2003 have also put more pressure on Leo and Tadgh. Teams have also worked out that ROK was playing a key linking role between the half-back and half-forward lines with numerous marks in the wing area. Again, coaches are putting pressure on him defensively and tagging him out of that role. As a result Hall has been forced to take over some of that linking work and he's paying for it physically - a key forward like him shouldn't be expected to run 14km in a game.

As well, other teams are dropping spare men back into defence (Glenn Archer spent the whole game as a loose man in defence at Manuka) to cut off the easy lead by the forwards into the corridor. Now the forwards are forced to lead wide and the shots at goal are tougher.

We were 3-5 last year and recovered to be 6th. With Schauble gaining some fitness, a recognised ruckman or two back in the team (Ball this week, Jolly the next), the possibility that Saddington might provide some relief at CHB (without being the permanent solution) and the softer draw we have in the second half of the year there is every chance we will finish about the same again.

We probably don't have the cattle on the park to win a flag this year - but we've got about 12 other teams for company in that. The important question is whether we are moving forward. At this stage it doesn't appear to be the case but things such as confidence can turn around very quickly (eg R4 vs Melbourne, 2003). Some of the youngsters are struggling but when confidence is low in the team it isn't the youngsters who provide the spark.

Finally, our losses this year are to the teams currently 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th on the ladder. A couple of them may be unfashionable but they are in form and beating other teams as well. That is the luck of the draw.

Wil
2nd May 2005, 04:41 PM
Great post. I agree completly.

I was going to write this in the Footyhead (Colless and Roos) thread but you did it much better than I ever could.

Basically, we have our current gameplan because the opposition have worked out how to easily stop our 2003 gameplan. - Still, playing more direct is playing more direct.