PDA

View Full Version : TIM LANE- Shut the hell up.

JohnnyNova
9th May 2005, 07:03 PM
If I have to be subjected to one more night of Tim Lane's insufferable verbal diarrhoea and pathetic boxing parables I'll puke blood before putting my head thru the TV. Which would really tick me off because I just bought that tele and it's a good-un.

And note to Quartermain: learn who the Swans players are BEFORE the game. Not during it. You incompetent human nose-bleed.

Legs Akimbo
9th May 2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyNova
If I have to be subjected to one more night of Tim Lane's insufferable verbal diarrhoea and pathetic boxing parables I'll puke blood before putting my head thru the TV. Which would really tick me off because I just bought that tele and it's a good-un.

And note to Quartermain: learn who the Swans players are BEFORE the game. Not during it. You incompetent human nose-bleed.

Fair points, but I'd rather these guys than the insufferable fathead Eddie McGuire.

BTW, I think Blight wants Roos' job, based on his critical commentary and constant whining about the game plan and lack of confidence. I'll predict it now...Roos will be replaced by Malcolm Blight if we have 2 shiite seasons in a row!

Spong
9th May 2005, 08:15 PM
Could be worse.......Steven Silvagni and Michael Christian!

Sanecow
9th May 2005, 08:16 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Legs Akimbo
9th May 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Blight would be even harder to warm to than Plugger or Schwatta.

Can you imagine him doing an Austin McCrabb on LRT? What would he make of LRT full-stop?

Nico
9th May 2005, 09:04 PM
Tim Lane has always been a biased Carlton supporter and over the years has regularly made snide remarks about the Swans.

Nico
9th May 2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
Fair points, but I'd rather these guys than the insufferable fathead Eddie McGuire.

BTW, I think Blight wants Roos' job, based on his critical commentary and constant whining about the game plan and lack of confidence. I'll predict it now...Roos will be replaced by Malcolm Blight if we have 2 shiite seasons in a row!

Correct comments, and also said when we play a more direct game we look good.

Blight's criticisms/praise in his commentary always have a sound basis to them in that he gives reasons rather than spouting off.

Legs Akimbo
9th May 2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Nico

Blight's criticisms/praise in his commentary always have a sound basis to them in that he gives reasons rather than spouting off.

Agree, and he is also doesn't fall into the trap of doing a Breretonism...overanalysis and seeing what is not there. My only (minor) criticism of Blight is that he likes to say everything twice, bit like Ian Chappell.

Mark
9th May 2005, 09:28 PM
Lane will always be a champion for telling Eddie where to shove his job when he found out he was planning to impartially comentate on his own team.

dann
9th May 2005, 09:37 PM
I think the Saturday night combination is the best of the TV callers. I think Tim Lane is a pretty good caller of the game, and Quarters isn't bad either. Although Blight isn't far from Chappelli - he says good insightful things about the games.

Brereton just irriates me no end.

The MMM has been pretty good - though Troy Luff loves a whinge and the Sam Kekovich sounds like my 80 year old grandfather - but its fairly entertaining.

Legs Akimbo
9th May 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by dann
I think the Saturday night combination is the best of the TV callers. I think Tim Lane is a pretty good caller of the game, and Quarters isn't bad either. Although Blight isn't far from Chappelli - he says good insightful things about the games.

Brereton just irriates me no end.

The MMM has been pretty good - though Troy Luff loves a whinge and the Sam Kekovich sounds like my 80 year old grandfather - but its fairly entertaining.

I wince everytime I see channel 9 has the swans game. So much style, so little substance. Channel 10 is more like Channel 7 was - the emphasis is on the game, the commentators are not ex-player Eddie McGuire sycophants and you get commentary not hyperbole. Everyone seems to rave about Dennis Confetti, but I find him droll and lacking in real insight.

Bring back Bruce - go Channel 7 for the next AFL rights!

dendol
9th May 2005, 09:51 PM
I like Lane's commentary, and Commeti is pretty damn good too. Tim Gossage, anyone? :p

GoSouth33
9th May 2005, 10:50 PM
I like Tim Lane. He's a good ABC man who does a little bit of moonlighting with Channel 10. Don't know that I've heard him call too many Blues games but I think he keeps it pretty well under control. He's an experienced commentator. His daughter Sam does a little bit of AFL work on 10 as well. I used to see her on the Fifth Quarter but I haven't caught that programme this year....but that's another story (there's a Fifth Quarter thread already going).

Nico
9th May 2005, 11:19 PM
I wince everytime I see channel 9 has the swans game. So much style, so little substance. Channel 10 is more like Channel 7 was - the emphasis is on the game, the commentators are not ex-player Eddie McGuire sycophants and you get commentary not hyperbole. Everyone seems to rave about Dennis Confetti, but I find him droll and lacking in real insight.

Bring back Bruce - go Channel 7 for the next AFL rights!

Agree on Cometti. His profile is trying to come up with so called funny lines that a couple of morning radio jocks in Melbourne drool over.

anniswan
9th May 2005, 11:22 PM
I actually met up with both Lane and Blight at the Novatel after the game, they were very friendly and receptive to ideas, from what I can remember LOL!

Snowy
10th May 2005, 12:04 AM
I noticed Tim's co-commentators corrected him several times.

Sanecow
10th May 2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by anniswan
they were very friendly and receptive to ideas

Did you get photos?

Benevolent Ert
10th May 2005, 03:20 AM
How can you not like Dennis Cometti???

Came out with another pearler in the Port/Roos game on the weekend

"Jones, with his head over the ball, but Wilson takes it away - the ball that is, not Jones' head"

footyhead
10th May 2005, 05:36 AM
Malcolm Blight would have actualy gone on to be a very good coach of the Sainters, except the club did not have the stomach for his excentric ways.
Malcolm would be an excellect coach for the Swans, but once again, I doubt that they would be prepared to go blindly down that path, they do not have enough courage or faith.
But I will tell you this. Should Malcolm Blight ever coach the Swans- you will see a lot more exciting footy in Sydney, than has been played by this club in a very long time.

Malcolm Blight for coach- 2007

JF_Bay22_SCG
10th May 2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Nico

He is pleasant to listen to. and says things that coaches would see and the average person wouldn't.

Far better than Captain Obvious Robert Walls. :rolleyes:

I reckon the best team of callers would be Commetti and maybe Anthony Hudson (who gets so enthusiastic about the game, even if his face looks like a mintie that has been trodden on :eek: ). With Dermott doing special comments.

Still listening to Eddie when the Pies miss two changes to win a game and loss by 5 points is completely classic. Hearing his silence afterwood is just unreal!

JF

Go Swannies
10th May 2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
Malcolm Blight would have actualy gone on to be a very good coach of the Sainters, except the club did not have the stomach for his excentric ways.

So they went for Grant Thomas???

Apart from a rejected coach are there any other Saints cast-offs you'd like to give us St Footyhead?

NMWBloods
10th May 2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Ert
Some people just hate everything that is not the Swans - commentators aren't nice enough to us, umpires crucify us, AFL has something against us... the paranoia is fairly rampant.

Legs Akimbo
10th May 2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Ert

Came out with another pearler in the Port/Roos game on the weekend

"Jones, with his head over the ball, but Wilson takes it away - the ball that is, not Jones' head"

That's what I mean - tres droll. Agree he makes decent quip, but there is something about his tone and tenor that sends me to sleep. I guess he's not too bad. Better than many of the alternatives dished up by nine. I remember they had some ex-west coast bloke commentating a west coast game a few years back (was it Peter Wilson?) and the level of general bias was astounding. It was as if there was only one team on the ground. Typically channel nine.

Thunder Shaker
10th May 2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by footyhead
Are we forgetting why St Kilda sacked him?

Rob-bloods
10th May 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by dendol
I like Lane's commentary, and Commeti is pretty damn good too. Tim Gossage, anyone? :p

Gossage is a prize pratt, where do they get those wackers on Fox?

IMO Cometti is good fun, Dwayne Russell OK and at least Tim Lane's summing up after Saturday night was very fair.

The rest of them Quarters, Dermie, Huddo, Eddie you can stick them....

midaro
10th May 2005, 11:57 AM
If Malcolm Blight has got over the St Kilda fiasco, I'd take him as coach in a second.

Roos' contract is up at the end of the year, isn't it? Mmmm

ScottH
10th May 2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by midaro
If Malcolm Blight has got over the St Kilda fiasco, I'd take him as coach in a second.

Roos' contract is up at the end of the year, isn't it? Mmmm I thought he just renewed for a few more years.

EMJ
10th May 2005, 12:04 PM
If Blight coaches the Swans forget three memberships here. We turned the sound off for the replay because of him.

sharp9
10th May 2005, 12:20 PM
Everyone seems to rave about Dennis Confetti, but I find him droll and lacking in real insight.
Ahem, putting on my teacher's hat for a moment LAK,

Droll means dryly amusing...which is exactly what Dennis is at his best.

You seem to have assumed it means boring (like dross).

Comes from the French for funny (droll).

Sometimes, though, calling a COMMENT "very droll' can be meant as deliberately fraint praise. ;)

JohnnyNova
10th May 2005, 12:49 PM
Best Current Commentators:
1.Dennis Commetti
6.Clinton Grybas
7.Dwayne Russell
8.Gerard Healy
11.Blight
14.Gary Lyon

204.Tim Lane

1,062.Kevin Bartlett

65,973.Eddie

barry
10th May 2005, 12:52 PM
Tim Lanes good. I wish he would give up his "prior opportunity" crusade. The current interpretation is making the game much better.

My preference of commentators is:
1. Huddo
2. Lane
3. Eddie (when pies not playing)
4. Denis Commetti
5. The rest
6. Eddie (when pies playing and loosing)
7. Eddie (when pies playing and winning)

giant
10th May 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyNova
Best Current Commentators:
1.Dennis Commetti
6.Clinton Grybas
7.Dwayne Russell
8.Gerard Healy
11.Blight
14.Gary Lyon

204.Tim Lane

1,062.Kevin Bartlett

65,973.Eddie

You forgot daylight between Dennis & the rest. I actually don't mind either of Blight or Lane but that might be symptomatic of how poor their brethren are.

Schneiderman
10th May 2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Roos' contract is up at the end of the year, isn't it? Mmmm

Yep. The end of 2008.

Sean
10th May 2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Some people just hate everything that is not the Swans - commentators aren't nice enough to us, umpires crucify us, AFL has something against us... the paranoia is fairly rampant.
Geez, that's a bit of a stretch. Someone dislikes Cometti because he is "not the Swans" and because they are paranoid. Maybe they just don't like him?

I generally like most of the commentators except Eddie (obviously) and Walls. Don't like the way he tends to victimize players. Whether the player deserves criticism or not, he goes too far.

midaro
10th May 2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Yep. The end of 2008.
Bugger ...not that it really means much ;)

NMWBloods
10th May 2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Sean
Geez, that's a bit of a stretch. Someone dislikes Cometti because he is "not the Swans" and because they are paranoid. Maybe they just don't like him?

This was based on a collection of various comments, not just this one.

barry
10th May 2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Sean

I find Cometti a bit monotone. You have to actually listen to him, to pick up his witty cometti-ism. I'd rather concentrate on watching the good work of LRT on Tredrea.
:D

Schneiderman
10th May 2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by barry
I'd rather concentrate on watching the good work of LRT on Tredrea.
:D

Barry will play on Tredders, although Schauba might get a run on him too.

LRT will play on Lade, and Lade will kick his usual bag against us (and only us).

barry
10th May 2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Barry will play on Tredders, although Schauba might get a run on him too.

LRT will play on Lade, and Lade will kick his usual bag against us (and only us).

I'd say Schuable would be ideal for Lade. Both old and slow.

Barry with probably play on tredders which will be interesting to see him out at CHB. LRT will no doubt get a role, and would love to see him take the 3rd forward in this senario.
Barry might be given licience to run off Tredrea with LRT to cover in case of a rebound.

Legs Akimbo
10th May 2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sharp9
Ahem, putting on my teacher's hat for a moment LAK,

Droll means dryly amusing...which is exactly what Dennis is at his best.

You seem to have assumed it means boring (like dross).

Comes from the French for funny (droll).

Sometimes, though, calling a COMMENT "very droll' can be meant as deliberately fraint praise. ;)

Thanks for setting me straight Sharp9, although 'Je comprends dr?le'. I would rather informed comment than dry wit.

Plugger46
10th May 2005, 10:32 PM
Commetti and Lane are the best two callers by a mile. Dwayne Russell is woeful, and so is Bennett on Fox.

TheHood
11th May 2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Plugger46
Commetti and Lane are the best two callers by a mile. Dwayne Russell is woeful, and so is Bennett on Fox.

Bennett's got a good turn of phrase and knows his stuff.

The guy that drives me nuts is Campbell. Everything to him is "wonderful". Wonderful player, wonderful kick, wonderful skills blah blah and he's a Swans hater too.

Legs Akimbo
11th May 2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by TheHood
Bennett's got a good turn of phrase and knows his stuff.

The guy that drives me nuts is Campbell. Everything to him is "wonderful". Wonderful player, wonderful kick, wonderful skills blah blah and he's a Swans hater too.

Just like everyone's a "champion" or "superstar" according to Eddie.