PDA

View Full Version : Swans return to winners list

chammond
10th May 2005, 10:24 PM
RWO's report on the Bombers match IS HERE . . . (http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?id=552_0_2_0_C)

Check out Nick's analysis, and see if you agree with his conclusions!

liz
11th May 2005, 01:34 AM
I've had fun watching the tape of this one over and over - first one I've rewatched for a few weeks (obvious reasons).

I know one match doesn't a season make, and the opposition wasn't much chop but there were definitely good signs.

One of them is that two players who were beaten by their opponents overall still made telling scoreboard contributions.

Great to see Leo back to not only his defensive best (Lloyd was always going to kick a few) but able to produce rebound as well. Leo made some pretty un-Leo like errors last week so good to see he bounced back well this week.

Also have been more impressed with a couple of Vogels' small contributions each time I've watched it. His marking and kicking techniques both look sound enough to stand up at AFL level but his work at ground level - a smother, a clever pick-up etc - were what took me a bit by surprise. He didn't look overawed by the jump from country footy to AFL over a short six months.

Schneiderman
11th May 2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by liz
Also have been more impressed with a couple of Vogels' small contributions each time I've watched it. His marking and kicking techniques both look sound enough to stand up at AFL level but his work at ground level - a smother, a clever pick-up etc - were what took me a bit by surprise. He didn't look overawed by the jump from country footy to AFL over a short six months.

As Rick Barham said: "We couldn't say much before, but Luke impressed when he came up here before the draft. We had to play him down a bit and not flag our intentions."

The pickup and swivel amongst three converging Bombers players was sublime, as was the quick receive and handpass to Bucky in the F50 (although the snap missed).

I am still on the Vogels bandwagon: Please dont drop him just yet!!

Oh and I am watching the replay right now for about the tenth time this week :p

barry
11th May 2005, 10:27 AM
Vogels ground work was fantastic, but he seemed to juggle most marks he went for. Hopefully just nerves, and he'll be better for the run this week (if he stays in)

RogueSwan
11th May 2005, 01:49 PM
As I didn't bother taping the game could those who did answer me this:
Was the open game a result of the Swans changing tactics or the relative lack of pressure put on by the Bombers?

Sanecow
11th May 2005, 02:04 PM
I didn't tape it either, but my feeling was that it was a decision by the Swans to play a different style than the grinding games of the past few weeks.

NMWBloods
11th May 2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by RogueSwan
As I didn't bother taping the game could those who did answer me this:
Was the open game a result of the Swans changing tactics or the relative lack of pressure put on by the Bombers?

I think it was a bit of both. The Swans seemed to try to play more openly right from the start. Lack of pressure (relative to most other sides) meant that they could maintain that open play rather than revert too quickly to the 'safe' closed-up play.

Tooth Fairy
11th May 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
I didn't tape it either, but my feeling was that it was a decision by the Swans to play a different style than the grinding games of the past few weeks. Except for that third quarter. Geez that pissed me off. They went back to their old ways and look what happened! :mad:

liz
11th May 2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I think it was a bit of both. The Swans seemed to try to play more openly right from the start. Lack of pressure (relative to most other sides) meant that they could maintain that open play rather than revert too quickly to the 'safe' closed-up play.

How do we know that's not what they always set out to do?

NMWBloods
12th May 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by liz
How do we know that's not what they always set out to do?
I suspect in many games they do, but not always. Certainly against Brisbane they didn't start with an open game plan - they were flooding from the opening seconds.