PDA

View Full Version : Swans home in on bigger picture

ScottH
20th May 2005, 08:12 AM
Swans home in on bigger picture (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15343860%255E2722,00.html)
In their submission to the AFL for the next round of media rights negotiations, the Swans have requested up to three Friday night home games in Sydney and two in Melbourne from 2007.

Tuesday
20th May 2005, 01:34 PM
But what I really want to know, is will this decrease the number of home games for us?

Confused. :(

Charlie
20th May 2005, 01:52 PM
We have absolutely no chance of getting that.

Edit - oops. It says 2007. That might make some difference - there's no way C9 will give us five Friday night games... Hard to say with C7.

Matt79
20th May 2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
We have absolutely no chance of getting that.

If seven gets the rights, we may get a couple of Friday night games but not as many as we are asking for.

I would love to see a couple of Friday night games at the 'G'. Great atmosphere but can be a nightmare to get to though with all the traffic, but I'll make the sacrifice!

Bas
20th May 2005, 03:07 PM
Reading the SMH today, it says that C9 is proposing to have two Friday night NRL games. One live and one on delay. This was their submission tendered for the NRL rights.

Its safe to assume that C7 will have friday night football and the only way they can challenge ( not beat) C9 is to play more Swan's games on friday night. To have Brucey back on a friday night...... that would be special.

Although it's a bit of a pain to get to especially if you're travelling like I am from the Central Coast but the good thing about friday night games is that leaves the weekend free for lawnmowing, household chores, shopping...... on second thoughts I don't like friday night games.

liz
20th May 2005, 07:46 PM
I don't like Friday games because if we lose it means I'm in a grump over the weekend. At least if we lose on a Sunday afternoon I get to do my grumpiness while at work.

Vivien
20th May 2005, 08:29 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15343860%255E36035,00.html

I think the Club's proposal to have more games on Friady nights, including 2 at the MCG or the Telstra Dome, is a positive step towards enhancing the game's profile in NSW. Of course, approval of the proposal will only be worthwhile if live or short delay telecast permission is granted, which at this stage, I don't see happening.

Increasing the number of friday night mathces played is hugely faveourable. Firstly, the club will have access to a significantly larger number of veiwers than is the case for Saturday night telecasts. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly from the team's point of veiw, the chance to play in "big game" matches on Friday nights in Melbourne will be a good exercise in finals preparation, especially for some of the younger members of the team.

If the AFL is serious about selling our game to a code-saturated Sydney market, they must approve this proposal, and do all in their power to ensure we receive a fair deal from broadcasters. Perhaps the AFL, in combination with the NRL and channel 9, can negotiate some sort of deal where live telecast rights are granted to the Swans for three or four Friday night games. I don't know what the scope is for telecasting NRL matches on a Saturday night, but this could be a possible alternative for channel 9 in the cases that the Swans play a Friday night match.

My gut feeling is that our present match schedule is not likely to change for some years to come. After all, Channel 9 and the NRL are running businesses, and are not likely to compromise those businesses unless they have sufficient incentive to do so. I think our best chance of entering the Friday night football scene will occur when and if Channel 7 wins back the rights to the AFL.

Vivien
20th May 2005, 08:30 PM
Whoops! Didn't realise someone had already posted on this topic! Sorry...Just ignore me!

Schneiderman
20th May 2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by liz
I don't like Friday games because if we lose it means I'm in a grump over the weekend. At least if we lose on a Sunday afternoon I get to do my grumpiness while at work.

On the other hand, if we win... :p

Matt79
21st May 2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Vivien
[URL]

Perhaps the AFL, in combination with the NRL and channel 9, can negotiate some sort of deal where live telecast rights are granted to the Swans for three or four Friday night games. I don't know what the scope is for telecasting NRL matches on a Saturday night, but this could be a possible alternative for channel 9 in the cases that the Swans play a Friday night match.

This suggestion would be nice but there is no way the NRL would give the AFL an inch in the Sydney market and you can't blame them as it's all for the $$$$$.

As long as nine holds the rights, there is zero chance that the Swannies will play a Friday night game.