PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your feet

dimelb
24th May 2005, 11:31 PM
Am I imagining it, or being too critical of our blokes, or are they falling over more than other teams? There were several times on Sunday when one of ours went to ground and a Bulldog skipped away with the ball. And I've had the same impression in other games.
Doesn't make me feel too confident about what they'll do on the Telstra Dome surface this weekend - tell them to wear long studs.

Sanecow
25th May 2005, 12:08 AM
Don't most footy boots have molded studs these days?

NMWBloods
25th May 2005, 12:13 AM
Swans have always fallen over more than other sides, but particularly in the past few years.

Ruda Wakening
25th May 2005, 12:27 AM
That might be the real reason behind them taking No Dose.

liz
25th May 2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Swans have always fallen over more than other sides, but particularly in the past few years.

You have any stats to back that up? Can't say that I've got the impression that we fall over noticeably more than other teams.

Schneiderman
25th May 2005, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by dimelb
Am I imagining it, or being too critical of our blokes, or are they falling over more than other teams?

You need to watch Lloyd more often :p

ScottH
25th May 2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
You need to watch Lloyd more often :p Big difference S'man!!! :D

Not suer about previous seasons or games, but definitely on Sun, a lot more players seemed to slipped over.

Jeffers1984
25th May 2005, 08:28 AM
They should all take a leaf out of Dempsters book. He has the best balance in the team IMO.

Mike_B
25th May 2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Don't most footy boots have molded studs these days?

Players prefer to wear moulded boots wherever possible because the pressure is distributed through alot more points in the boot (each moulded stud). However moulded studs are not nearly as long as the screw-ins, but screw-ins lead to alot more pain in the feet because theyre are usually only 6 studs on a screw-in boot, meaning the pressure channels through feww points leading to sorer feet.

Some coaches have told their players this year to worry about sore feet during recovery and that they must wear the screw-ins at the Dome.

NMWBloods
25th May 2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by liz
You have any stats to back that up? Can't say that I've got the impression that we fall over noticeably more than other teams.
No - just 30 years of watching them and being frustrated with the number of times they lose their feet when their opponents don't.

Nico
25th May 2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
Am I imagining it, or being too critical of our blokes, or are they falling over more than other teams? There were several times on Sunday when one of ours went to ground and a Bulldog skipped away with the ball. And I've had the same impression in other games.
Doesn't make me feel too confident about what they'll do on the Telstra Dome surface this weekend - tell them to wear long studs.

I posted this on a thread a few eeeks ago.

Buchanan is the biggest culprit as was Schneider when playing.

When we were really Schizen some weeks ago it seemed the whole team was doing it. I recall Kennelly doing a 10 metres slide into a contest.

Have a look at Richmond, WC and Geelong. Hallmark of their game is keeping their feet, one of the basics. Richmond in particular. Players who really struggled last year in this dept have really turned it around. They stay on their feet and take off immediately from a free or mark.

Last night on From the Vault Swans V Carlton 1987 the speed off the mark and keeping their feet was a highlight. Watching that I don't know that our game and skills are better today. Everyone was a booming kick and accurate passer. Skills personified.