PDA

View Full Version : Why no ANZAC Medal?

Charlie
27th April 2003, 08:19 PM
One of the traditions of the Essendon vs. Collingwood games is the awarding of the ANZAC Medal to the best player. Why didn't that happen in our game? There is no reason why they can't have one for each match. We had a trophy, but no medal?

Personally, I would have given it to Jason Ball.

swansrock4eva
27th April 2003, 10:43 PM
The trophy was the Ron Barassi Cup charlie. I think they'd probably wait to see how the reaction to the cup itself was before looking for anything more on top.

Charlie
27th April 2003, 10:49 PM
Yeah, but the ANZAC Medal is to reward the best player in the ANZAC Day Match. Now there are two. There should, therefore, be two medals.

Jimmy C
28th April 2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Yeah, but the ANZAC Medal is to reward the best player in the ANZAC Day Match.

I agree, the overall best player should receive some credit-like a "Norm Smith" medal. Maybe they could call it the "Norm Smith medal" ;) , or the "Weary Dunlop", or "The Montgomery Burns outstanding award for the achievment of excellence" ;) ;) .

In all seriousness though, Chas is right.

robbieando
28th April 2003, 03:11 AM
I don't like the idea, because why give a medal for a H&A match??? If we gave away one for ANZAC Day, why not one on Mothers Day, or Fathers Day???

I dislike the whole idea of cups and medals for H&A matches because other than 4 points who cares????

motorace_182
28th April 2003, 01:42 PM
Why so many shields and cups and tropheys. Really, who gives a toss. We won the Barrassi Cup. Anyone would trade a thousand of those cups for one premiership. The Barrassi Cup is OK, no medal. There are rivalries, why put a trophy in as well. Noone cares

Mike_B
28th April 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
I agree, the overall best player should receive some credit-like a "Norm Smith" medal. Maybe they could call it the "Norm Smith medal" ;) , or the "Weary Dunlop", or "The Montgomery Burns outstanding award for the achievment of excellence" ;) ;) .

In all seriousness though, Chas is right.

Or even the Montgomery Burns award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence :D

Charlie
28th April 2003, 03:56 PM
I wasn't really arguing about the value of home and away trophies and medals. It simply annoyed me that there was a medal for the Essendon vs Collingwood match, but not ours. Our game is supposedly considered of equal importance. Therefore, the performances should be rewarded equally as well.

motorace_182
28th April 2003, 05:30 PM
I know, but maybe we should get a rivalry goin first