PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Hayes

FootyontheBrain
26th May 2005, 08:59 AM
This from the Morning Herald

http://smh.com.au/news/AFL/Sydneys-Saint-wont-be-a-Swan/2005/05/25/1116950761345.html

The headline sounds much more definitive than anything Hayes actually says. After all, what's a player supposed to say in Melbourne when his team is under the pump. I love the fact winning a premiership appears to be so important.

Hopefully a poor saint season, and a finals run for the Swans will help this young man make the "right choice".

ScottH
26th May 2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by FootyontheBrain
I love the fact winning a premiership appears to be so important. :confused:

Isn't that the reason they play footy??

A Premiership is the ultimate prize, in any footy code!!

Sanecow
26th May 2005, 11:17 AM
But would you rather work for $50,000 in a company that looks like it might win a high-profile contract or $100,000 in a company that you guess will miss the contract? At the end of your career, the extra money will do a lot more for you than winning a Premiership ever will (the money is guaranteed, the Premiership ain't!).

giant
26th May 2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
But would you rather work for $50,000 in a company that looks like it might win a high-profile contract or $100,000 in a company that you guess will miss the contract? At the end of your career, the extra money will do a lot more for you than winning a Premiership ever will (the money is guaranteed, the Premiership ain't!).

Unless the money is "performance related"....I fell for that one once.

FootyontheBrain
26th May 2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
:confused:

Isn't that the reason they play footy??

A Premiership is the ultimate prize, in any footy code!!

Good point. I guess I'm used to American athletes who are the most pampered primmadonna's in the sports world.

While a Premiership might be the ultimate goal, unfortunately there are too many examples where guys get caught up in extracurricular activities off the field that would lead one to believe otherwise.

Sean
26th May 2005, 02:59 PM
Hayes said St Kilda's situation was similar to that of Brisbane's, where several players including captain Michael Voss had volunteered or been asked to take pay cuts over several years keep the triple-premiership team together.
Here is one of St Kilda's problems. They compare themselves to Brisbane but they haven't won anything yet. I'm sure that there weren't too many Brisbane players taking paycuts prior to winning the flag.

On the Footy show last year someone referred to St Kilda players talking about creating a dynasty like Brisbane. Just seems that there are too many players down there who believe what the papers say.

NMWBloods
26th May 2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sean
Here is one of St Kilda's problems. They compare themselves to Brisbane but they haven't won anything yet. I'm sure that there weren't too many Brisbane players taking paycuts prior to winning the flag.

On the Footy show last year someone referred to St Kilda players talking about creating a dynasty like Brisbane. Just seems that there are too many players down there who believe what the papers say.

Good points. Amazing how they seem to have established this mindset without having achieved anything. Combined with Thomas' ordinary coaching abilities, it will be their downfall and a great opportunity lost.

I note also that Walls was very scathing on On the Couch about Riewoldt as captain.

ScottH
26th May 2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I note also that Walls was very scathing on On the Couch about Riewoldt as captain. So was Sam Newman last Saturday morning, (not scathing) but critical of his age and the captaincy.

Sean
26th May 2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I note also that Walls was very scathing on On the Couch about Riewoldt as captain. Yeah I saw that to. It hurts me to say this but I agree completely with Walls.

It was a crazy decision of Thomas'. He's got the most talked about player in the game who at 22 has more pressure on him than anyone else. He appears to be contracted to two TV shows and does god knows what else outside of footy. So, Thomas decides that he doesn't have enough pressure and gives him the captaincy?

I'm sure that I read that St Kilda have actually lost every game that he captained. Haven't actually checked but it sounds about right.

NMWBloods
26th May 2005, 03:40 PM
Good call - that's right. Riewoldt has actually been playing pretty well, but should really be concentrating on just his football. Should have left Hamill as captain.

giant
26th May 2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Sean
Yeah I saw that to. It hurts me to say this but I agree completely with Walls.

I'm sure that I read that St Kilda have actually lost every game that he captained. Haven't actually checked but it sounds about right.

Yep, he's zero from four - let's see if we can't keep his perfect record intact