PDA

View Full Version : Not all of the last quarter!

NMWBloods
27th April 2003, 11:53 PM
I notice that we've all been saying "wasn't the last quarter great." However, watching it again (y'day?) I noticed something interesting.

We certainly fought back well in the first 7-8 min, but we really wasted our opportunities. We were dominating the inside 50s (something in the order of 10 to 3), however in that time I think we had kicked 3.3 to the D's 2.2, or similar. Hence despite dominating the quarter to that point we hadn't made much of an inroad into the deficit.

However, from at about that point we kicked 2 quick goals (the second of which was Schneider's running one) and then the floodgates seemed to open.

Now of course this was great, but it was only really the last 12-13 minutes (~60%) of the quarter that was fantastic, not the whole quarter.

Given how modern football often ebs and flows to a great extent, the first part could easily have been our turn to dominate and we wasted it. Against a better side, they then could have wrestled back control (as frequently happens) and all our efforts could have been for nought.

Great to win, but certainly showing that there is an awful lot to work on.

desredandwhite
27th April 2003, 11:57 PM
One of the problems we have is that we struggle to convert our chances. We had really good patches on the weekend, and even against Freo, Adelaide and Hawthorn, where we were dominating possession but butchering chances in front of goal - basically it's our age old problem of stopping dead at half-forward with no idea what to do.

As NW says above, good sides will always come back - and you HAVE to make it count when you have the ball.

I think it's a good step we have trigger happy goal-merchants like Davis and Schneider in the side now - We thrive on momentum and confidence. If one goes through, more will follow.

Charlie
28th April 2003, 08:43 AM
I wasn't too unhappy though. Unlike the first three quarters, at least in the last term our attacking thrusts were resulting in shots on goal.

sharp9
28th April 2003, 09:16 AM
Astounding to see that Roosy's 3/4 time advice was "don't kick it to half forward!"

Can't believe he said that in public. Have Sydney ever had a great CHF? (not counting Brereton).

NMWBloods
28th April 2003, 09:35 AM
I don't think we've had a good CHF since the war!

Rizzo
28th April 2003, 01:12 PM
Footy is very much a confidence game and Sydney run on confidence more than any other team. Self belief is what they need and as Charlie says, when they are on song (trust each others ability, put in and keep a cool head) they can beat any team in the competition.

snajik
28th April 2003, 01:39 PM
I feel that there are times in life when you can be just a little bit too critical!

I suspect that 10 goal quarters won't be commonplace this season, so my advice would be to enjoy them when they do.

NMWBloods
28th April 2003, 03:27 PM
We've gone close to one in each of our wins so far!! :D