PDA

View Full Version : Improved players

ROK Lobster
29th May 2005, 01:27 PM
At this stage of the season, who is playing better footy than they were last year?

FWIW I think Jude, Goodes (but not as good as the year before), Ablett and that is probably about it. Anyone else?

stellation
29th May 2005, 01:53 PM
Nick Davis, hamstring aside (or maybe even including it!).

Nico
29th May 2005, 01:55 PM
Dempster, but he got dropped for his improvement, yet Bevan the disaster he is, starts the game in Sean's spot.

Does Bevan have photos?

29th May 2005, 02:04 PM
LRT must deserve a mention :D :D :D.

Diego
29th May 2005, 02:10 PM
LRT and Bevan.

If we don't sign these two up for a long time we are in dabger of losing them at the end of the year.

The swans priority atm is to sign these two up ASAP. Build a game plan around them...

hang on thats already happened. hmph.

Nico
29th May 2005, 02:10 PM
Firing squad for you Newbie.

Charlie
29th May 2005, 02:26 PM
Better:
Craig Bolton
Michael O'Loughlin
Luke Ablett
Jude Bolton
Lewis Roberts-Thomson (lol, yes, I know... but at least he has had a couple of touches this year)
Adam Goodes

About the same:
Nick Davis (injuries both years)
Jarrad McVeigh
Ben Mathews
Leo Barry
Jason Saddington (give him another month, I suspect he'll be in the 'better' category)
Jason Ball
Brett Kirk (this isn't a bad thing)

Worse:
Barry Hall
Ryan O'Keefe
Stuart Maxfield
Adam Schneider
Tadhg Kennelly
Matthew Nicks
Jared Crouch
Amon Buchanan
Paul Bevan

In:
David Spriggs
Darren Jolly
Sean Dempster
Jarred Moore
Luke Vogels

vs Out:
Ben Fixter
Nic Fosdike
Heath James
Mark Powell
Rowan Warfe
James Meiklejohn
Aaron Rogers

Injuries/bizarre selections prevent fair assessment:
Paul Williams
Stephen Doyle
Andrew Schauble

So... from this:

- We have nine players who have regressed versus six who have improved. At the start of the year I felt we were about four players off a tilt at the premiership. This, on the face of it, would make the difference.

- However, the return from the 'ins' is clearly better than last year's returns from the 'outs'. I would say it's enough to nullify the effect of the net regression of three players noted above. This requires other explanations for the overall poorer performance of the team.

- Hall, O'Keefe, Nicks, Schneider and Buchanan all play forward all or most of the time, and all have regressed. This supports the contention that an indirect game plan is to blame for current results. Interestingly, the one forward who gets most of his possessions as a result of long kicks to a lead is the one forward who has improved.

- Further, Schneider, Buchanan and Bevan have all regressed, while McVeigh has stagnated. This supports the contention that Sydney's development of young players is inadequate. This, in turn, implies that young players are being used poorly during matches (Buchanan, Bevan and Schneider in the wrong positions, McVeigh spending too long on the bench), and that the ACTAFL is inadequate for player development (ie, Schneider and McVeigh dominating in Canberra and not meeting AFL standard when recalled to the seniors).

NMWBloods
29th May 2005, 05:10 PM
Not sure if CBolt is really playing much better.

Goodes better than last year but way behind 2003.

LRT might be better but it's so insignificant as to be nearly meaningless.

Ablett better, but not really providing a great deal.

J Bolton definitely better.

O'Loughlin playing a bit better but not significantly.

Regression significantly outweigh progressions.

New players have not nrealy offset this - Jolly been good, Spriggs not much use.

Dempster, Moore and Vogels all look like they will be good but not for a few more years.

Not really positive signs for the next few years.

BonBon
29th May 2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Worse:
Ryan O'Keefe
You know what? I agree. But a goal here and there is good for us but I remember last year he was like a bullet.

Bleed Red Blood
29th May 2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Not sure if CBolt is really playing much better.

His first few games were fantastic. I thought he should have been moved onto Reiwoldnt last night and LRT onto Ackland.

NMWBloods
29th May 2005, 05:48 PM
I thought he was great last year.

Mike_B
29th May 2005, 05:49 PM
I'd like to see CBolt played in the midfield/on a wing. He has some of the better skills in our team (probably due to the fact that he didn't spend his immediate years post-drafting in Sydney ;) ) and can take a mark. Would be useful to push up the ground and play a bit more of the role he played when in Brisbane.

BonBon
29th May 2005, 05:56 PM
Craig Bolton was good last year although he had no recognition but this year he has been really good.

Vivien
29th May 2005, 06:10 PM
I would say Jude, Ablett and MOL are our only real improvers. What concerns me is the number of younger players having dud starts to the season. And I don't mean the first season players - I'm talking about 2nd and 3rd season players like McVeigh, Bevan, Buchanan, Schneider et al. Honestly, I can't remember the last time we had a young player back up a good first season with a good second season. I realise the majority of them are playing in more difficult positions, but still...

jenky28
29th May 2005, 06:39 PM
Worse:
Barry Hall
Ryan O'Keefe
Stuart Maxfield
Adam Schneider
Tadhg Kennelly
Matthew Nicks
Jared Crouch
Amon Buchanan
Paul Bevan

Not sure about this list.

Barry Hall- Has been ok kicking goals which we cant get many of so i would put him in the same category.

OKEEFE- I agree with hasnt been as dominant as last year. Need his big body in the forward line taking big marks and kicking goals.

Maxfield- Hasnt played much to judge.

SCHNIDER- Again hasnt played many senior games to see him play himself into form.

KENELLY- Been ok providing the little run we do have out of defence.

NICKS- Getting on in time and prob a reasonable assumption.

CROUCH- If you said this in the first 3 weeks yes i would agree but in my oppinion which may be bias he has been alot better!

BUCHANON- Been ok in my oppinion mayb i would put him in the same category.

BEVAN- Def in this category dont know what is wrong with him!

JF_Bay22_SCG
30th May 2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by BonBon
You know what? I agree. But a goal here and there is good for us but I remember last year he was like a bullet.

But "god bless him". :rolleyes:

JF