PDA

View Full Version : Play of the game for Swans vs. Carlton?

stellation
5th June 2005, 06:22 PM
This post made me stop and ponder, there actually was some great passages of play in the game last night.

Originally posted by Tuesday
Ditto, twofold, Bon Bon. It was an awesome run.... standing up in my lounge room, alone, shouting at the screen, "Carn Craig! Carn!"... Oh what football does to a usually sane woman! :p

But I liked what he did with it -- broke free, took advantage of the opportunity that presented itself, and was selfless by looking [and hitting] the best option. I like unselfish, smart play. And I class that unselfish, smart play.

Play of the week, for me :)
So what was the play of the game for you?

stellation
5th June 2005, 06:24 PM
Nicky D's solo effort with forward line pressure that resulted in a ROK goal was the play of the game for me. Great to see the other players recognize it and run to Nick after ROK slotted it through too.

Schneiderman
5th June 2005, 06:43 PM
I thought the string of handballs and runs through the middle that resulted in the Bucky goal was pretty special. Especially considering the criticism levelled at our running, handballing and Bucky's inaccuracy.

For Carlton it would have been the lead up to and then snap by Waite.

For the umpires the Lance Whitnall goal to get them in front. The pathetic HTB call against ROK followed by the ignored push in the face by Whitnall on LRT before the mark was pure umpiring GOLD!! Goldsphinkter has obviously been training these lads and would have been rapt in their effort to live up his standards :p

Charlie
5th June 2005, 06:51 PM
The one that went from full back to Barry Hall's chest (he kicked the goal), in the space of two long kicks and about 25 seconds was the play of the game.

Simple, straightforward, direct, fast. Good football.

liz
5th June 2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Nicky D's solo effort with forward line pressure that resulted in a ROK goal was the play of the game for me. Great to see the other players recognize it and run to Nick after ROK slotted it through too.

There were a few great passages of play but that one was the best for me too, especially as it was by a player sometimes criticised, maybe unfairly, for not doing things like that.

Seeing Kennelly suck in his cheeks and burn off opponents on a few occasions was great too.

barry
5th June 2005, 07:05 PM
While there were some great plays in the game against Carlton, there was one bad one that is symptomatic of why we cant put away sides, and will struggle to be a real contender until its addressed.

I speak of an incident late in the 1st quarter when we were 20 something points up, and Hall marks on 50. Rather than having a shot from 55m out, he goes for a pass which gets turned over.
The crux of it is, although a 55m shot is probably only a 25% chance of scoring a goal, it would have put us 30 (or near enough) in front, and that would have shattered carlton. The game would have been over. In that context, you've just got to have a ping. The reward is far greater than the risk.

BonBon
5th June 2005, 07:06 PM
That!

Schneiderman
5th June 2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by barry
The game would have been over. In that context, you've just got to have a ping. The reward is far greater than the risk.

Actually did it twice in that quarter. Both times we mucked around, and both times they got it back as a result.

Plus the MOL run into the goal square where he took an extra two steps and got mown down.

However, in a game you win, they are lessons we can afford to take.

Tuesday
5th June 2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by liz
Seeing Kennelly suck in his cheeks and burn off opponents on a few occasions was great too.

Liz, that's a fantastic way to describe him! It's exactly what he does... :D

desredandwhite
5th June 2005, 08:35 PM

Yep, I'll pay that. I noticed during the replay that he'd lost a boot too, in the initial contest, but still kept going with one boot and a sock :D

Great effort, and good support from his teammates eventually.

Tuesday
5th June 2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
Yep, I'll pay that. I noticed during the replay that he'd lost a boot too, in the initial contest, but still kept going with one boot and a sock :D

I laughed my butt off at that one. But that was good to see, he basically didn't bat an eyelid when it happened and just polished it off... Noice!

My vote for most annoying aspect of the game was Fev's set shots! UGH! Talk about a time waster! The shoelaces need to be retied, then the socks need to be pulled up properly, then the hair needs to be smoothed back and tucked behind the ears a few times, then he ponders something along the lines of world peace, and 90 seconds later, he's ready to have a crack. I mean, really Fevs-baby! Enough already!:rolleyes:

ScottH
5th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite

Great effort, and good support from his teammates eventually. Exceptional effort, he could have easily gone to ground or given away a free.

But my fav, was Kennelly riding the Fev bump.

Malceski gets an honourable mention for his spoil when it looked a certain Carlton mark, gliding in from the side to make ccontact (3rd term I think)

GoSouth33
5th June 2005, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by barry
[B]While there were some great plays in the game against Carlton, there was one bad one that is symptomatic of why we cant put away sides, and will struggle to be a real contender until its addressed.

That last goal by Fevola really irritated me, here's Fevola, surrounded by three Swans, and still manages to take a clean mark and scores the last goal of the day. Instead of winning by 31 we win by 25...not a big deal but....

JF_Bay22_SCG
6th June 2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
The one that went from full back to Barry Hall's chest (he kicked the goal), in the space of two long kicks and about 25 seconds was the play of the game.

Simple, straightforward, direct, fast. Good football.

Was that the one Tadgh started?

That was very reminiscant of 2003, that piece of play! :cool:

MORE PLEASE!

JF

jermaink
6th June 2005, 04:03 AM
What did people think of Craig Bolton's run through the midfield straight to O'Loughlin?