PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kirk

FootyontheBrain
8th June 2005, 12:32 AM
I understand I may lose access to RWO by even intimating what I'm about to say, but does anyone else cringe when Brett Kirk is kicking.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I don't think there is another player in the AFL that gets more out of his natural abilities that Kirky, but let's face it his is not a penetrating kick. A couple times last weekend I noticed his kicks into the forward line either came up short or seemed to hang in the air too long making a contest where it appeared the forward should have taken an easy chest mark.

OK, let the flogging begin.

Mike_B
8th June 2005, 12:37 AM
He definitely doesn't have the best kicking skills around, but generally can hit a target. The issue he has is speed of the ball through the air (not a lot of pace on his kick) and the fact he can't keep a ball just above head head over about 40m or so (say in the mould of Jude Bolton's pass to BBBH after Tadhg's bump off Fev, run and handball in the 1st qtr on Sat). Having said that, I don't cringe when he gets the ball, because generally speaking, he is a pretty good decision-maker when it comes to disposal, so that partly makes up for that lack of penetration on his kicks.

Unfortunately for the Swans, alot of our midfielders don't have really penetrating kicks, and that, IMHO is an area that really needs improvement if we are to make the most of our potent forward line.

ROK Lobster
8th June 2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by FootyontheBrain
does anyone else cringe when Brett Kirk is kicking.

Yep. I mentioned it once before and copped a bit of flak but it is undeniable. Not a bad kick for goal but his delivery by foot is average. As you say, the kicks go too high and too slowly.

liz
8th June 2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Having said that, I don't cringe when he gets the ball, because generally speaking, he is a pretty good decision-maker when it comes to disposal, so that partly makes up for that lack of penetration on his kicks.

I agree with that comment. He would be the first player to admit he's not the most skilled but his decision making often makes up for it.

I'd add to that the fact that there are few perfect footballers going around. Chris Judd and James Hird have us spoilt about what we demand from our players. Kirky obviously has weaknesses in his game but they're more than made up for by his ability to win ball (hard ball at that) at the same time as playing a defensive role, and especially by his courage and no-nonsense approach to the game.

FootyontheBrain
8th June 2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by liz
I'd add to that the fact that there are few perfect footballers going around. Chris Judd and James Hird have us spoilt about what we demand from our players. Kirky obviously has weaknesses in his game but they're more than made up for by his ability to win ball (hard ball at that) at the same time as playing a defensive role, and especially by his courage and no-nonsense approach to the game.

Good point. I'm hopeful in coming seasons his offensive skills will improve with his role in the team changing. His attack at the footy has more to do with desire than skill, and hopefully won't be diminished as the seasons roll on.

Schneiderman
8th June 2005, 01:01 AM
I think Kirk's greatest value to the team is his ability to take a classy opponent out of the contest, and as part of the process get the ball back for his side. He wins a lot of frees from his dedication to getting to the ball first, and applies the hottest of blow torches to the "stars" from the other side.

With that in mind, not having a penetrating disposal can be forgiven. Imagine if he had a Judd, Buckley or Hird to lay off to each time instead.

punter257
8th June 2005, 03:26 AM
one of the smartest footballers in the league with the way he positions his body in a contest.

but yeah i generally agree with his kicking but he makes up for it with his work ethic and attack on the pill

Snowy
8th June 2005, 10:12 AM
His disposal has been very ordinary this season.

Wil
8th June 2005, 10:16 AM
His kicking is shocking. No left foot and a poor technique which means he can only kick if his body is going a certain way i.e. he cant kick under pressure. From what I remember he warms up by taking shots at goal from about 35m out when the rest of the team takes shots from 50m out.

TheHood
8th June 2005, 10:20 AM
He did some great things with his hands on the weekend that just shone.

Basically springing out of pack and dishing off a Black-like pass to fantastic advantage.

His kicks do make me cringe, only because they take an eternity to reach the target but he knows how to work with this because they dont get intercepted or chopped off all that often.

sharpie
8th June 2005, 10:22 AM
His kicking has definitely got worse, but at the same time he is ever-increasingly becoming a more effective midfielder, so I'll take that trade-off for now

Mike_B
8th June 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Wil
No left foot

If he has no left foot, I'd hate to know what you think of his right! ;) After all, he is a left footer.

NMWBloods
8th June 2005, 10:32 AM
His kicking is rather ordinary, but that is why he handballs so much. His ability to get the ball and his decision making on whom to give it to are pretty good, so we normally do pretty well out of it. If we had a classy running midfielder that Kirk could feed we notice how effective he was even more so.

satchmopugdog
8th June 2005, 10:32 AM
He is one of that group of afl level players who still jerk their head down to watch the ball onto their boot. The really good kicks such as Stewart Dew barely have to look at their foot as it is instinctive. But I would have Kirk over Dew anytime.

stellation
8th June 2005, 10:39 AM
He looks to have abnormally long forearms.

ScottH
8th June 2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
He is one of that group of afl level players who still jerk their head down to watch the ball onto their boot. The really good kicks such as Stewart Dew barely have to look at their foot as it is instinctive. But I would have Kirk over Dew anytime. Hall is very noticeable doing the jerk down, when short passing. Looks funny if anything, as long as the kick is effective.

Legs Akimbo
8th June 2005, 11:03 AM
I think his kicking is okay, but his handpassing is outstanding. Considering he is the one getting the ball out more often than not, there is nothing wrong with that.

He has good vision and knows what is going on around him.

Matt79
8th June 2005, 11:11 AM
Kirky certainly looks awkward when he kicks but he tends to hit more targets then some others in the side.

The funny thing is, purely from observation, he tends to be a fairly accurate shot on goal.

mocaholic
8th June 2005, 12:30 PM
He definitely doesn't have the best kicking skills around, but generally can hit a target. The issue he has is speed of the ball through the air (not a lot of pace on his kick) and the fact he can't keep a ball just above head head over about 40m or so (say in the mould of Jude Bolton's pass to BBBH after Tadhg's bump off Fev, run and handball in the 1st qtr on Sat). Having said that, I don't cringe when he gets the ball, because generally speaking, he is a pretty good decision-maker when it comes to disposal, so that partly makes up for that lack of penetration on his kicks.

Unfortunately for the Swans, alot of our midfielders don't have really penetrating kicks, and that, IMHO is an area that really needs improvement if we are to make the most of our potent forward line.
Good post.

Kirky is accurate to 30 - 35m (yes, they're generally floaters), and is well aware of his deficiencies in this regard. He NEVER just whacks it on the boot - his decision making is first class which is why I'm never too concerned when he gets the footy. Compare that with Crouch, Mathews, Schneids, Monty, B1, (although improving), Fosdike, and even Leapin' & Tiger to an extent.

Mike_B
8th June 2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
The funny thing is, purely from observation, he tends to be a fairly accurate shot on goal.

Career record of 47 goals 32. So just under the 60% mark.

giant
8th June 2005, 12:40 PM
Kirk's problem I think is that he leans back rather than forward when he kicks it. Agree with the suggestion that this is an issue with a number of our MF so it was great to see B1's scintallating pass to BBB in Q1 on Saturday - u'd luv to see more of it.

Our best kicks into the fwd 50 are currently absent in Willo & our much maligned ex-captn Stuey.

Mike_B
8th June 2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by giant
Our best kicks into the fwd 50 are currently absent in Willo & our much maligned ex-captn Stuey.

Stuey has actually lost a lot of the penetration on his kick in recent times. Might be related to his injury, but his kicking this year was nowhere near as powerful as what it was even last year.

NMWBloods
8th June 2005, 12:52 PM
J Bolton has the potential to be one of the best kicks inside 50 - witness the superb pass to Hall - however he also has the potential to be one of our worst.

This is one of the key issues with our side - the Jeckyll and Hyde nature of the players and team.

Kirk is one of the few who is pretty consistent.

Jeffers1984
8th June 2005, 01:01 PM
If he has no left foot, I'd hate to know what you think of his right! ;) After all, he is a left footer.
Nah Wil meant Kirky uses his middle foot..get it? HAHAHAHA...ahh i laugh. hmmm

Wil
8th June 2005, 01:29 PM
If he has no left foot, I'd hate to know what you think of his right! ;) After all, he is a left footer. :D Haha. You know, I have a reasonable grasp of who is left footed and who is right footed, but I never see Kirk kick the ball enough to remember what foot he is..

Matt79
8th June 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by giant
Kirk's problem I think is that he leans back rather than forward when he kicks it. .

Sounds just like Schauble when he handpasses the footy. He definately looks awkward when handpassing!

Mike_B
8th June 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Wil
:D Haha. You know, I have a reasonable grasp of who is left footed and who is right footed, but I never see Kirk kick the ball enough to remember what foot he is..

Off the top of my head, left footers in our team would be:

O'Keefe
Maxfield
Schneider
Barry
Kirk
Buchanan
Malceski

Not sure about some of the guys who haven't played seniors though.

Bexl
8th June 2005, 01:57 PM
One think I like about Kirk is he generaly gets the ball moving forward quickly.
If under pressure he gets a quick kick forward which puts other sides back lines under pressure. Too many of our players stuff around with it too much.

giant
8th June 2005, 02:27 PM
Off the top of my head, left footers in our team would be:

O'Keefe
Maxfield
Schneider
Barry
Kirk
Buchanan
Malceski

Not sure about some of the guys who haven't played seniors though.

I understand Crouch & Kennelly are "left footers" too

satchmopugdog
8th June 2005, 03:48 PM
Yea but.... no but...... left footers of another variety. Just like the Pope when he plays...he's left foot. What position would he play?

Wil
8th June 2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
Yea but.... no but...... left footers of another variety. Just like the Pope when he plays...he's left foot. What position would he play? Ahh, the Pope would play on the right wing. The EXTREME right wing and as far as the Paddington end as possible :)