PDA

View Full Version : Captain Ben

Troy G
15th June 2005, 03:18 PM
Swans have named Ben Matthews as Captain for the next two games.

InTheKnow
15th June 2005, 03:27 PM
I am looking forward to seeing how he goes. Have been impressed with him over the past couple of games esp. last weekends - and that's saying something as I don't particularly rate him too highly...

Vivien
15th June 2005, 03:36 PM
I'm looking forward to it too. I think he'll do a good job!

giant
15th June 2005, 03:46 PM
At the very least it will make for a fabulous trivia question at Sportsmans Nights in future years

j s
15th June 2005, 03:53 PM
I wonder if this means Jude is doubtful for the next game? There seemed to an expectation that his turn would be next.

Probably is better that he not have that added load while recovering - for example any press conference would almost certainly switch topics to his own fitness instead of whatever it is supposed to be about.

Mike_B
15th June 2005, 03:55 PM
Interesting choice considering the build up that surrounds the games with Collingwood up here and the fact that Ben is not exactly the player we see in the press that much. Would've thought if they were worried about Jude's focus being taken off his own recovery that they would have gone with Goodesy.

j s
15th June 2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by giant
At the very least it will make for a fabulous trivia question at Sportsmans Nights in future years

Q. Who was the Swans captain in 2005?

A. Jude Bolton

B. Barry Hall

C. Stewie Maxfield

D. Brett Kirk

E. Ben Mathews

midaro
15th June 2005, 03:57 PM
Excellent! We're back in the race for "Worst Player as Captain".
Look out Hawthorn!

We haven't been in that competition for...
...weeks :rolleyes:

barry
15th June 2005, 04:07 PM
Let the nightmare begin...

NMWBloods
15th June 2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by midaro
Excellent! We're back in the race for "Worst Player as Captain".
Look out Hawthorn!
LOL - not even Mathews is worse than Vandenberg!!

j s
15th June 2005, 04:33 PM
Benny gets to be captain for three weeks!!

(Still only two games though)

Rizzo
15th June 2005, 04:42 PM
I would have thought the Pies game came with some extra pressure given it's the only game on footy on that weekend.

Don't know about you, but if Hally gave me an instruction on the ground I wouldn't care too much who was captain at the time...

Mike_B
15th June 2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Rizzo
I would have thought the Pies game came with some extra pressure given it's the only game on footy on that weekend.

They changed it this year so that there are 2 games the 2nd weekend of the split round - Essendon and St Kilda play the Friday night of the 2nd weekend.

cruiser
15th June 2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
...Would've thought if they were worried about Jude's focus being taken off his own recovery that they would have gone with Goodesy. Maybe they're saving Goodes for the home game against West Coast.

stellation
15th June 2005, 08:50 PM
Interesting choice considering the build up that surrounds the games with Collingwood up here and the fact that Ben is not exactly the player we see in the press that much. Would've thought if they were worried about Jude's focus being taken off his own recovery that they would have gone with Goodesy.
Have to agree, I assumed that it would be Goodes this week. Poor decision IMO, but that is Roos' bread and butter.

ScottH
15th June 2005, 09:08 PM
He'll show all of you!!! BOG v Pies and Tiges!!

monopoly19
15th June 2005, 11:11 PM
Had we left Mathews 'til last (I think most assumed he would be), he could have captained in his 150th. Would have been nice for him, even if I don't necessarily think he's captain material. Good luck to him anyway!

motorace_182
16th June 2005, 12:04 AM
Dear God no...

liz
16th June 2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Have to agree, I assumed that it would be Goodes this week. Poor decision IMO, but that is Roos' bread and butter.

Given that you nothing of the decision criteria nor anything about the decision process, how can you assert that it is a "poor decision"?

Tuesday
16th June 2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by j s
I wonder if this means Jude is doubtful for the next game? There seemed to an expectation that his turn would be next.

I must admit, I was fairly confident Jude was to be the next captain, though my statement was made prior to his withdrawal from last week's game.

I agree by choosing Jude as captain, all circumstances considered, it would have taken the focus away from the team and the matchup and compounded the pressure on him to be fit in time to take on the Pies. It's probably best this way.

As for the decision, I cannot say I know enough about Mathews to comment on him +/ suffer in my jocks. I am just glad we have a week off. My committment is waning...:(

ScottH
16th June 2005, 07:02 AM
Mathews' turn (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=209493)
?What I see I can bring to the team is 110 per cent intensity and obviously I will be looking to lead by example, I see myself more along the lines of a Stewie Maxfield,? Mathews said.

Paul Roos said that Mathew?s elevation had come about through his outstanding form of recent weeks and believed the rotating captaincy had so far proven a positive for the club.

Class-act Hall offloads captaincy (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15626294%255E2722,00.html)
Ben Mathews is as respected and admired within the Sydney Swans as Hall is, but his public profile is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
Coach Paul Roos said Mathews had been in good form, evidenced last Sunday by his stopping job on Fremantle captain Peter Bell.

It was typical of the unselfish role Mathews so often plays, either in defence or in the midfield.

He has been one of the Swans' most reliable players and while, he has good foot and hand skills and can run and carry the ball, he most often plays as a midfield tagger.

Roos said Mathews was one of the team's most important players.

"Benny has been in the top six in our best and fairest for five or six seasons. He has been one of the most consistent Swans players over that period," Roos said.

"He is not a flashy player but his standing within the group is very high and his standing within the match committee is very high because we often give him hard roles whether he plays on the quick small forward, or like he did on Bell for the whole game last weekend. The players certainly appreciate his value to the club."

ScottH
16th June 2005, 07:12 AM
Mathews gets his turn on roundabout (http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Mathews-gets-his-turn-on-Swans-roundabout/2005/06/15/1118645870771.html)
At the halfway stage of the rotation experiment, Roos rates it a success
Bolton is expected to return from a hamstring injury against the Magpies
Mathews moves to Swans' helm (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15623172-23211,00.html)
UNHERALDED hard-working Swans midfielder Ben Mathews will stamp his whatever-it-takes attitude on the Sydney captaincy during the next two games

stellation
16th June 2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by liz
Given that you nothing of the decision criteria nor anything about the decision process, how can you assert that it is a "poor decision"?
To be honest I have to say my comment was a little influenced by alcohol and makes little sense in the light of day considering, as you said, I have no idea of the criteria.

My only real thoughts were for using a well known face for publicity/media commitments in the lead up to what is arguably our biggest home game.

Schneiderman
16th June 2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by stellation
My only real thoughts were for using a well known face for publicity/media commitments in the lead up to what is arguably our biggest home game.

Well he IS a NSW boy, and we already had the other two in the role already. This is an angle they can exploit to help grow the game over the big weekend, and may be the reason they picked him for such a well marketed game.

Wil
16th June 2005, 10:23 AM
My guess is that Jude WAS up for the captaincy this fortnight but it has been put off due to the injury and given to the player who has played two good games in a row.

Diego
16th June 2005, 10:48 AM
Great, awesome.

Swans promoting medicority since 2003.
LRT is a perfect example.

Wil
16th June 2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Diego
Great, awesome.

What? You have only been supporting Sydney since 2003!? ;)

Diego
16th June 2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Wil
What? You have only been supporting Sydney since 2003!? ;)

hahahahaha ahh me bad. me wrong.

Yeah i should change that..but i suppose its an indirect attack on LRT. ;)

chammond
16th June 2005, 11:28 AM
Coach Paul Roos said Mathews had been in good form, evidenced last Sunday by his stopping job on Fremantle captain Peter Bell.

It was typical of the unselfish role Mathews so often plays, either in defence or in the midfield.

He has been one of the Swans' most reliable players and while, he has good foot and hand skills and can run and carry the ball, he most often plays as a midfield tagger.

Roos said Mathews was one of the team's most important players.

"Benny has been in the top six in our best and fairest for five or six seasons. He has been one of the most consistent Swans players over that period," Roos said.

"He is not a flashy player but his standing within the group is very high and his standing within the match committee is very high because we often give him hard roles whether he plays on the quick small forward, or like he did on Bell for the whole game last weekend. The players certainly appreciate his value to the club."

Yes, well done to Mathews.

About time he got the recognition he deserves.

NMWBloods
16th June 2005, 11:40 AM
"he has good foot and hand skills and can run and carry the ball"

:confused:

Diego
16th June 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
"he has good foot and hand skills and can run and carry the ball"

:confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused:

sharp9
16th June 2005, 12:04 PM
Yes Benny can run and carry the ball...in fact he can carry the ball for an exceptionally long time whilst not seeing several options, whilst at the same time running......on the spot.

Dash FORWARD and deliver, Benny and all will be forgiven. Promise.

Vivien
16th June 2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by chammond
Yes, well done to Mathews.

About time he got the recognition he deserves.

Yes, good on you Cliff. I agree.

mocaholic
16th June 2005, 01:58 PM
?What I see I can bring to the team is 110 per cent intensity ....

That's impossible.....nobody can give more than 100%.....by definition that's all we can give....

Mike_B
16th June 2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mocaholic
That's impossible.....nobody can give more than 100%.....by definition that's all we can give....

Well Mr Burns had done it
The Power plant had won it
With Roger Clemens clucking all the while
Mike Scoscia's tragic illness made us smile
While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on the bar room tiles
We're talkin softball
From Maine to San Diego
Talkin softball
Mattingly and Canseco
Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw
Steve Sax and his run in with the law
We're talkin Homer
Ossie and The Straw

Oops, I digress

mocaholic
16th June 2005, 02:10 PM
We're talkin softball
From Maine to San Diego
Talkin softball
Mattingly and Canseco
We're talkin Homer
Ossie and The Straw

Excellent.
"There's a party happening in my mouth, and everyone's invited!"

Oops, I digress
You'll get indigrestion if you keep that up.

BAM_BAM
16th June 2005, 02:31 PM
I too thought we'd go with a higher profile player topromote the game. I actually thought they'd use Goodes.

IMO opinion Ben would make an excellent Captain. for the past few years he's been a constant in the leadership team, which shows his peers respect him. I've heard him interviewed on radio and he spoke well on each of those occasions. He has finished highish in the B&F which shows he's doing the job asked of him by the coach.

But then again I think most of those touted as potential captains would be able to fill the shows.

giant
16th June 2005, 02:49 PM
We're talkin softball
From Maine to San Diego
Talkin softball
Mattingly and Canseco
We're talkin Homer
Ossie and The Straw

Oops, I digress

Definitely in my top 10 episodes of all time. And I mean that 110%.

Actually I note in one of the other articles they changed the quote to 100% so I wonder if that was the work of an incredulous Simpson-loving subbie or whether poor old Ben was misquoted the first time around.

Ruck'n'Roll
16th June 2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Diego
:o