PDA

View Full Version : Troy's latest article is up! 29/4/03

desredandwhite
29th April 2003, 11:13 PM
http://redandwhiteonline.com/content.php?page=features/03/troy030429.php

Phil Doyle
30th April 2003, 03:07 PM
Quote:

"There's still something very warped in my view, when a young kid in Wagga- who may not have the talent of some of the guys in the SydneyAFL- gets to play against the Swans Reserves, while guys playing in the senior competition in the NSW capital are virtually told to run your own race! Likewise, the UNSW- Easts Bulldogs are just down the road from Sydney Swans headquarters yet they won't ever merge as neighbours or meet as foes in a local derby. Crazy.. or is it just me"

It's just you Troy.

In any area you would care to mention: Crowds, finances, support, player strength, juniors, facilities; the ACTAFL has it all over Sydney footy.

Just remember Paul Kelly was "a young kid in Wagga" once. Sydney footy has a long way to go before it even comes close to the sort of infrastructure and support footy has in the Riverina. Hell, the Albury clubs would belt most Sydney sides.

Sydney's big problem? No depth to the game. Very little culture.

Its like the garbage about a state league, which would bankrupt the Sydney clubs after two years.

Troy G
30th April 2003, 04:28 PM
How do you explain Campbelltown beating Queanbeyan in the Pre-season Grand Final?

Troy G
30th April 2003, 04:30 PM
"Sydney footy has a long way to go before it even comes close to the sort of infrastructure and support footy has in the Riverina."

Pretty much my point! Warped!

Phil Doyle
30th April 2003, 11:36 PM
Yeah, the Campbelltown result was fantastic for Sydney Footy. As was last year's win over the MVAFA. But one swallow does not a summer make. Besides, I don't think pre-season form is the best measure of a league. But its a good point. Sydney footy is improving - of that there is no doubt, but its not the best league in the state.

Troy G
1st May 2003, 10:48 AM
And now with Wagga/Swans going to Canberra it can never dream to be the best league in the State. A case of "if you can't beat 'em join 'em!"

Phil Doyle
1st May 2003, 04:28 PM
Well, Campbelltown tried the ACTAFL in the mid nineties. The cost and travel where prohibitive in the end.